News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Sean Leary

Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Golf
« on: December 15, 2004, 04:37:11 PM »
I am heading to South Florida over the new year and was wondering about places to play.  We are staying at The Diplomat, which has a Joe Lee course, but I know very little else about the courses in that area.  Any recommendations?

DTaylor18

Re:Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Golf
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 05:16:01 PM »
Sean, I just got back from a few days there.  Indian Creek was great and a lot of fun to play.  Beyond that, i think there are slim pickings in Miami.  I w as in Palm Beach for a day, which is not too far from Ft. LAuderdale, there are plenty of options there.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 05:32:16 PM »
Dan,

Unfortunately, my memberships to Indian creek and Seminole haven't arrived in the mail yet.   :)

Any public course, or ones that would reciprocate with a Seattle area private club?

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »
Cranden Park(formerly Key Biscayne)is OK,Biltmore in Coral Gables has Ross remnants:DO NOT bother with Doral--Miami Springs has some history,is now a scruffy muni,but I like it
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 06:01:22 PM »
How about Miami Beach GC recently renovated by Hills?

www.miamibeachgolfclub.com

Steve Pike – Senior Writer PGA.com AOL Time Warner/Turner Sports Interactive
---------------------------------------
“In my opinion, it’s one of the best public [or resort] courses in all of South Florida. Really beautiful.”
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 06:10:42 PM »
I forgot about Bayshore-would've recommended it before,not sure I would now-
probably another example of having 9 million too much to spend
If you read the testimonials it sounds like everyone likes the grass though
Hope I'm wrong,cause it was a pretty neat spot
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

DTaylor18

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 06:28:40 PM »
Sean, your public options are limited in Miami and may not be worth the money unless you really want to play.  I played Crandon PArk and didn't like it very much.  In a beautiful spot on the water, which is unfortunately compeltely blocked out on almost every single hole. More target golf than anything else.  I stayed at the Biltmore but didn't paly the course.  It looked ok. Crandon Park was $100, i don't remember what the Biltmore course was.  In tha Palm Beach area there are more public options.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 06:29:54 PM by Dan Taylor »

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 06:37:55 PM »
Dan is right,you'll be disappointed if you have expectations other than good weather
I just enjoy older courses for their history(Miami Springs,Biltmore)
I saw where Miami Beach GC is $175 now-but that includes cart AND GPS system!
Gotta fund that $10 million renovation somehow-doubt there are any natives playing there

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 07:17:22 PM »
Dan,

How far is west palm and what would you recommend there?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 07:30:23 PM »
Sean:

I used to play a fair amount of round over the winters at Colony West in Tamarac -- not very far from the central core that makes up Fort Lauderdale. I've not been there for a few years but I heard from a few people a mixed bag of thoughts on what's happening there.

The layout I believe is a Devlin / Von Hagge and the course can play very tough given all the extras that were thrown into the mix. The 12th hole -- at 452 yards -- has to be one of the most demanding in the Sunshine State. The 18th at nearly 470 yards is also a terro. I believe the course has a 75+ rating and sope is somewhere around 145.

If you need another public option you might want to check out Pompano Beach and their 36-hole operation just off Rte 1. The Pines is the better of the two and while the entie operation gets a mega bundle of players the Pines is well done especially the last five hole which play into the prevailing wind.

Be interested in hearing from people who have played courses recently.

DTaylor18

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 08:35:41 PM »
Sean, Ft Lauderdale is basically halfway between Miami and Palm Beach.  So, depending on how fast you drive  ;D, it's about 45 minutes in either direction from Ft. Lauderdale.  I haven't played too many of the public courses in the area, i've just done a bunch of traveling for work recently.  I have been told that Emerald Dunes is good but have not played there.  I palyed soem fo the courses at PGA National which were in good shape and it's a ncie facility, but there is housing everywhere.  The re-designed Breakers West Course is supposed to open this month and may be worth a look.  

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 08:53:20 AM »
Talked about here before (mostly by me and BillV) would be the West Palm Beach Country Club...and old private course turned public muni that has some interest and is a fun place to play...just off I-95 so it would be an easy drive up from Miami area.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 09:51:53 AM »
I received this "tip" from an anonymous GCA'er about a month ago when I was asking about courses in the Palm Beach area.

You should check out N. Palm Beach CC on US 1 in NPB. The first ten holes are still the exact same fairway corridors and green sites from Raynors original design-its a a really good piece of land-it will be kind of fun to play it and then go in the clubhouse and try to mentally superimpose the course you just played over the photos of the original. Also you should certainly check out W. Palm Beach CC off of I-95 a bit further south. It is an old Dick Wilson course that could REALLY be something special but will unfortunately never be anything more than a run-down muni.  some really imaginative and ferocious bunkering as well-starts out with 2 par 5's back to back.It is also a great site with some uncharacteristic elevation change (for S. Florida).

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 09:55:56 PM »
Emeral Hills in Hallandale is a pretty good track.  It is Devlin/VonHagge and but for the chain link fences and houses, which are common in Florida, it has some really good holes although it does tend to get pricey.  The lunch deals are great.

frank_D

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 03:39:27 PM »
brother Sean

by staying at the diplomat your best daily rate for upscale and CONVIENIENCE will be their course which used to be as private club and has all the amenities and about two miles inland - however others nearby i would consider [note - the weather has been unseasonable cold down here lately ! ]

within 15 miles
hollywood beach 2 m W donald ross layout - reasonable price
954-927-6040

presidential 4 m W tommy fazio - houses encroach course
305-935-7500

emerald hills 6 m west - usually best conditioned
305-625-5767

raintree 11m W quirky 6par3's 6par4's 6par5's
954-432-4400

grande oaks - 11 m NW former rolling hills (caddyshack) - private but may reciprocate through hotel
954-916-2900

Golf Club of Mia 13m SW where Jack started in 1962
305-556-8485

Jacaranda 13m NW former private club
954-472-5836

DonShula 14m SW local favorite - home of the 64oz steak
305-820-8106

inverrary 15m NW - old jackie gleason hangout
954-676-5000

beyond 15 miles
Crandon(Biscayne) 16m S - royal carribean on senior tour
305-361-9129

Colony West 18 m NW one time golf digest 4+ stars
954-722-9605

Bonaventure 18 m W resort course and "Waterfall" course
954-389-2100

melreese 17m S (near MIA airport if that fits your travel)
305-633-4583

doral 18 m W - either love it or hate it - expensive
305-592-2000

TPC eagle trace - 21 m NW - may require special invite
954-753-7222

TPC heron bay - 24 m NW mccumber - former Honda site
954-796-2000

james soper

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »
crandon on key biscayne(von hagge/devlin design which played host to the royal caribbean classic) and
biltmore (donald ross- course left fairly intact with the exception of #18) are your best bets.
since indian creek doesn't reciprocate, you may want to have your pro try riviera country club in coral gables(accross the street from the biltmore, always in wonderful shape, plus caddies if you desire) or la gorce on miami beach(caddies plus new clubhouse, in great shape, but nicklaus redesign leaves you a little empty versus old design with the elevated greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back