News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Raynor's Thousand Island Golf Club
« on: August 24, 2005, 09:15:56 PM »
The Old Course at Thousand Island (Upstate NY) lists Seth Raynor as the architect and says a 1894 design. Seems way, way early for his involvement since NGLA is a 1909 opening and Raynor didn't get involved in design untill well after that.

Anyone know the pedigree of the course and how much left on the ground is Raynors?
Integrity in the moment of choice

George_Bahto

Re:Raynor's Thousand Island Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:05:24 AM »
John, although I have not actually been thre I have a lot of info on the course and have been in contact with them for some time - have not gone there because there is not many original features left

the Thousand Islands Club (has had dozens of names), on Wellesley Island, NY, was a Seth Raynor design course built in the early 1920's (1922 and 1923 according to my info) for E. J. Nobel and included a lot of his wealthy friends including one,  Mr Boldt who had, along with George Pullman, sort of got the 1,000 Island area as a "resort" area off the ground.

Boldt was an very interesting story on his own
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back