News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

A chance to meet in Chicago or Philadelphia
« on: November 07, 2004, 11:49:04 AM »
I've just heard that I've got a concert in San Francisco on Saturday 22nd January.  Having done the journey from the UK before, it's a long and tedious business on budget fare seats.  In the past I have changed planes at Chicago and Philadelphia.  If I could arrange to stop over in Chicago in one direction and Philadelphia in the other maybe I could put a face to some who have corresponded electronically, share a beer together and talk about golf.  I realise that it's not possible to play at that time of year.  

Is it worth seeing if I can arrange suitable flights?

TEPaul

Re:A chance to meet in Chicago or Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 02:48:41 PM »
Mark:

Stop in Philadelphia---we'll show you anything that's possible at that time of the year.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 02:53:45 PM »
I trust you are aware that golf can and is played in California in January.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 03:12:14 PM »
Mark,
To paraphrase he words of Robert Plant:

"Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine.

Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart.

Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.

Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same.

The sea was red and the sky was grey, wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today.

The mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake
as the children of the sun began to awake.

Seems that the wrath of the Gods
Got a punch on the nose and it started to flow;
 I think I might be sinking.

Throw me a line if I reach it in time
I'll meet you up there where the path
Runs straight and high.

To find a queen without a king,
They say she plays guitar and cries and sings... la la la
Ride a white mare in the footsteps of dawn
Tryin' to find a woman who's never, never, never been born.

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams,
Telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems"

Mark, it will much warm and friendly here. Do not hesitate. Get on Jet Blue for like $49.00 each way out of Oakland--BART will take you there and bring your golf clubs with you.

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 03:20:57 PM »
Mark,
I second Tom Paul.  If there's no snow on the ground, there's a lot of great courses we can walk around.  It is not unheard of for golf to be played as well....far more likely than Chicago at any rate.  Hope to see you.  Please feel free to call me at 610.664.9663 or email me if you choose to visit Philadelphia.
Regards,
Wayne

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 05:02:24 PM »
Don't be a wuss. Bring your clubs to Chicago. You'll have an unforgettable day. Ooops, don't forget you galoshes. ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 05:30:11 AM »
I'll try to stop off in both Chicago and Philadelphia - one going out the other coming home.  I'll have the clubs with me as I'm sure I'll play in California - I managed Olympic Lake, Meadow Club and Pasatiempo two years ago!  I need to sort out with the concert promoter exactly what the schedule is and check with airlines for fares etc.  I'll come back to you shortly.

I really look forward to meeting you all.

Mark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back