News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

patrick_burton

Furrow Club 2004 : The Hideout
« on: October 19, 2004, 05:04:08 PM »
The Annual FURROW CLUB gathering was held this past weekend at The Hideout Golf Club in Monticello, Utah. I’ve selected a few photos which seem to capture the spirit of our lively crew of enthusiasts and the course. (The event marked the first for Forrest Richardson & Associates. Forrest designed The Hideout with his mentor, 87-year-old Jack Snyder.)

The trip began in Phoenix with a terrific dinner on Thursday. We all met early Saturday and boarded a luxury motorcoach for the trek through Monument Valley and the Four Corners area. Upon arriving at The Hideout we were treated to a down-home steak BBQ complements of the Hideout Green Committee. Afterwards there was more than one good Scotch, several beers and many bottles of decent red wine. Everyone got to burn their names onto thick leather bag tags, which may have been better scheduled BEFORE the Scotch, beer and wine.

Golf in the morning was delightful among turning leaves, crisp mountain air and the undulating fairways of the 6,600-yard course. The best description of the course came from one of the writers along, who said, “Not only does each hole present a different challenge, but each allows you to attack it several ways.” I will attest to this. There was as much ground game and break on the fairways as there was on the greens. I cannot recall any tee shot where one can simply hit away without ample thought. No two holes are alike. There are only 15 bunkers. The elevation changes about 200-feet, crossing two mountain creeks and playing through two separate canyon valleys.

Next year the plan for The Furrow Club is to visit The Links at Las Palomas, a seaside course in the dunes along the Sea of Cortez in Sonora, Mexico. Richardson is now in the final stages of planting at Las Palomas.

Panoramic View of Site

The Hidden 3rd Green; Par 3

The Pearched 4th Green; Par 4

The Uphill 7th; Par 3

View from the 12th Fairway; Par 4

View from the 13th Fairway; Par 5

The Uphill 16th; Par 4

View of the 16th Green

Group Putting on the 17th; Par 3

Bag Tag

Furrow Club 2004 Group

Bill_McBride

Re:Furrow Club 2004 : The Hideout
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 10:38:55 PM »
Looks like a great time on a super course.  Wish I'd been there.  Hopefully next year.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:35:10 AM »
Conditions at the Hideout have dramatically improved, from my sources.

The 16th reminds me of the 8th at spy, only a different greensite. The only real issue i had with the course was getting to the 16th tee. If one looks closely at the fourth hole, the path to the 16th runs directly behind the green and comes swooping up the hill from behind the back left of the fourth green. I fear that circumstances may someday conspire when someone making that turn up the hill will be met head-on with someone's tugged approach to the fourth. Ouch!

All in all the Hideout is a great match-play course and the town of Monticello is indeed fortunate.

What the heck is The Furrow Club? A polo/golf society?
Forrest- How many of these clubs do you belong to?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:59:21 AM »
Hello, Adam. Thanks for the comments.

Let's hope it DOES get congested behind the 4th green, as that would be great for business. However, I do hope no one meets anyone head-on. I don't imagine this will happen as everyone is going in the same direction for the few feet of path that is shared. Besides: I believe it against Utah State Law to drive golf carts more than 3 MPH.

Yes, conditions of the greens are now at 90%. The only task left is to re-seed a few areas on the perimeter and the crests at the tiers on the No. 9 green. Between the chinch bug of 2002 and the drought of 2003 it was difficult for the higher points of the greens to withstand these events. And, with just four (yes, FOUR) people to take care of the entire golf course, hand watering to overcome the simple irrigation system was not in the cards. I think you would enjoy the conditions now, save the few isolated areas of green surfaces which need some $$ and attention. What is really working out is the great ground game that the fairways offer. There is a lot of break from tee to green.

I do not belong to many clubs. Just a few. The Furrow Club was our idea to hold an annual gathering so we could have a good excuse to share some fun at one of our courses. A bag tag is in the mail...by the powers invested in me, you're now a member!
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:48:01 PM »
Jack, et al:

The pictures seem to indicate the turf was firm and fast. Was it?

Lastly, the pictures do not adequately represent the qualities of the uphill par-4 16th hole. It's very good -- the opening to the tiny green requires the perfect position off the tee.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 10:34:53 PM »
Forrest, Thanks, I never belonged to any club that would have me for a member, before. I truely wished Jack had a pic of that centerline bunker on #9, it's impressive.

Matt- I might tend to disagree with you on the proper position for number 16. With the cleavage between the mounds, my last approach there was a called shot off the left breast, which banked onto the green, and left me with my makable birdie. Perhaps i was in the proper position, but i feel any place on the short grass would allow the golfer to create a shot that would end-up on the green. Perhaps I mis- understood you?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 10:44:12 PM »
No. 16 is my favorite hole — or as Paul Daley would say, "favourite".

My fondest memory — among the funny — at The Hideout was playing a few shots at No. 16 from the fairway. A deer was lingering just short and left of the green and my 4-iron hit the doe right in the arse — she jumped several feet and scampered into the woods.

Brian from my office counted 72 deer on the course two weeks ago when he was there prior to the event.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 10:46:05 PM »

With the cleavage between the mounds, my last approach there was a called shot off the left breast, which banked onto the green, and left me with my makable birdie.

Adam,

Some day, I need to share my "Future of GCA" essay I submitted for the recently passed contest held here. You would very much appreciate the insight of my thoughts as they pertain to your obviously stated playing experience! Available upon request.... ;D

Joe

EDIT: The contest judges didn't have the balls to award my essay one of the top spots.... :o
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 10:48:30 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

patrick_burton

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 12:11:23 PM »
Matt-

Yes, it was playing firm and fast -- the fairways were tight, much like the courses in the isles. One of the most charming things about the Hideout is that the fairways have a lot of contour, and all shots --- Drives, Lay-ups, and Approach Shots require thought on where the ball lands b/c it certainly will roll and if you're not careful - you'll end up under a deer's arse in the woods! I played many shots short of greens with much success.

Adam-

It appears you played the 16th almost as designed - I played off of the right breast and missed my 5' birdie putt. For those that can't tell from the pic, the 16th green slopes away and to the left, requiring bouncing a shot in.

-jj

JakaB

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 12:14:31 PM »
Jack,

In the interest of full disclosure....what is your professional or personal relationship with Forrest...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back