News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Porthcawl the Magnificent
« on: August 19, 2004, 06:38:24 AM »
I know many generally hate rankings, but how is it that Royal Porthcawl has escaped being in the top echelon?

If Swinley Forest and Rye have the best set of par threes in the UK, they must really be something, because I thought the four at Porthcawl were the best set I've yet paid.  Two of them are of reasonable length, one, the 7th, a mere hundred yards or so yet requiring a solid 4-iron in the howling wind and rain that laughably passes itself off as summer in this part of the world.

There are a good mixture of greens, some, like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 18th particularly, full of rolling contours, others more subtle.  

There are a terrific range of inspiring teeshots, some, like the 13th and 18th semi-blind or blind, and, because many of the greens are tucked away on ledges with hollows and swales grasping at their very edges, you need to be spot on with your irons too.  

The course was in exquisite condition,the club having just finished hosting a prominent women's event, with sufficient rough around to ensure you daren't stray from the straight and narrow.

With the exception of the 5th, a par five with OB left, what looks to be an impossible carry from the tee, and a green that slides calamatinously from the top of the hill upon which it is perched, the par fives were fairly ordinary, being little more than longish par fours.  

Best Holes - 2 and 3, which both feature fine drives and seconds over classic rolling linksland to greens nestled dangerously near the beach fence, all par threes, and the par five 5th, aas well as the 9th, a medium par four along the more upland parts of the course, with a frightening drop into purgatory on the left, and the run home from the 13th.  

Best thing about the course as a whole - The first tee isn't immediately adjacent to the clubhouse window, unlike every other club I've played so far.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Porthcawl the Magnificent
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:05:44 AM »
Mark,

Good to learn of your enthusiasm for Porthcawl.  As I've said before on this site, Wales has some very good courses; they are little-known, and offer the best value for money in the UK.  I think Porthcawl doesn't grab the attention of ratings panels because it doesn't seek a high profile.  It has hosted just about every significant national amateur tournament, a number of professional tournemants (not least recent women's events) and the 1995 Walker Cup with Begay and Woods in the US team.  It knows it's good, its members know it's good and they are happy leaving all the attention-seeking to Celtic Manor.  

One of its best features is that you can see the sea from some part of every single hole.  I also like the fact that even from the back plates the holes come in all shapes and sizes, especially the par 4s which range from 330 to 460+ yards, and the par 3s are good.  I agree that the par 5s are not its strong point (especially for today's long hitters).  I am told that the US team (and Tiger in particular) did not like the course (which may be, in part, due to their losing and also the fact that the weather was dreadful).  

Its name is always mentioned every time a golf magazine speculates on possible additions to the Open Championship roster, but it's too short and the site is too compact to accommodate all the stands, tented villages, media compounds and so on.  As far as British Isles ratings are concerned Porthcawl never quite makes it into the top 20 (it was ranked 32nd in the November 2002 Golf World biennial list) and is therefore vulnerable to demotion as new courses such as Kingsbarns and Loch Lomond enter the reckoning, while the Irish courses (new and long-established) are rising up the tables in force.  

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 11:54:57 AM »
Mark

Celtic Manor et al can keep as much of the limelight as they wish, if it means the green fees at Porthcawl and Southerndown don't go up because of visitor demand...

As for Porthcawl being only number 32 on Golf World's last list, well, they must have played it blindfolded is all I can say.  

I've played only about 20 courses in the UK so far, but I can't think of another course that has so many inspiring and just plain thrilling tee shots.  I could play 18 alone all day.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 01:03:44 PM »
Mark and Mark:

Don Placek and I walked the course the day after our visit to Painswick -- I hadn't been there since I played it in 1982.  Not much changed, but it was better than I remembered.

The weakness of the course is certainly the par fives.  The routing uses the fives to trudge up the hills so that you can play those beautiful long par-4's back downhill toward the sea.  For me, it's not that the par-5's are weak, because I'm sure I'd make some sixes there ... it's that they all have basically the same Achilles' heel.  And four times in one round, to boot ... if they'd just change one of them to a par-4, I'd probably feel a little better about it.

The short holes are indeed terrific, and I think it's one of the better sets of par-4 holes I have seen as well.

johnk

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 01:24:04 PM »
One thing that struck me this spring, playing about a lot of links from the famous to not-so-famous was that links courses
tend to have great sets of par-3s.  

In other words, if you go over and play 2-3 links, there is a high-probability that you will come back thinking that one of those courses had the best set of par-3s you've ever seen.  Visit 15 links in a row, and you start to think that great par 3s are the norm...

I think it's a lot easier to have great sets of par-3s on
any moderately dunesy links.  Therefore, should the
standards be higher on a links? or should the exceptional nature
of the par-3s be discounted?

Here are some citations - just plug them into: "The best set of par3s anywhere"

Dornoch
Rye
The New Course
Porthcawl
TOC :)
West Lancs
Enniscrone
Portrush
County Down

etc., etc...

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 02:38:13 PM »
John K. -

I agree with you about most links courses having very good par-3's. As good as the par-3's are at Dornoch and Brora, I actually think the par-3's at Golspie (all 5 of them) are even better.

DT

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 03:16:55 PM »
I agree w/ all the comments above and think Porthcawl should be ranked a bit higher.  However the par 3 #7 is a little dull to me.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 03:58:01 PM »
I played Royal Porthcawl in May during a day off from the Painswick event, and thoroughly enjoyed the day.  I had a different take on two of the par 5's, although the fact that I can't really recall the other two doesn't bode well for them.  I thought #5 was terrific, with the long carry to the doglegged fairway and then uphill past the cross bunker to the narrow but deep green perched up high on the hill.  #17 I enjoyed just for the daunting tee shot across the carry bunkers at the top of the hill.  Loved the par 3's, #7 is a lot tougher than it looks even at 110yds, with that huge mound on the right rear and the pin hidden near it when we played.  I found it very amusing that the tee shot on #1 carried across the 18th fairway (why don't we do that here?  no need to answer!).  The first three holes along the water were excellent par 4's, and then the long par 3 #4 was a good change of direction.  

I really enjoyed the variety of tee shots that had to deal with a variety of world class fairway bunkers.  The bunkers in the landing area on #13 (I think - long par 4 parallel to #3) were as cool as I've seen.  It was like driving into a tunnel wall of sand unless you laid up 220 yds short of the green!

Royal Porthcawl is highly recommended!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 06:46:51 PM »
Just want to echo what has been said about Royal Porthcawl. I played it last fall and simply enjoyed the totality of what is there. Clearly, it is undervalued and I wonder if being in Wales lends itself to that -- given the nature of people to hurry to a range of courses in Scotland & England.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 07:22:32 PM »
Actually Matt, at 70 pounds, the ones NOT undervaluing Royal Porthcawl are the management!  That's about $130 at current exchange rate.  Granted it's a "Royal," but the green fees in the UK have been debated quite a bit here and that seemed a bit OTT for a weekday.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back