News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Chehansky

New York Golf Trip
« on: July 22, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »
Looking for some info here.  I am taking a trip with my good friend who is the head pro at Bay Hill and very into classic tracks.  I am setting up the trip, 2 days in NY, fly in to JFK play Bethpage Black, then overnight and one more round the next morning.  Access is not an issue, would you go onto the island further, go to westchester county area, or northern jersey.  It is a surprise trip for him for taking care of us so well.  He likes short, classic thinking mans tracks with fast greens and small green complexes; likes hidden facilities with "names" meaning little...I know nothing about the area other than the usual.  Thanks,
Alex

BTW - We could use a fourth possible for either round
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 03:22:09 PM by Alex Chehansky »

Tyler Kearns

Re:New York Golf Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 03:34:02 PM »
Fenway.

Alex Chehansky

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 03:34:55 PM »
fenway is in scarsdale, right?  good thought, anybody have any more on fenway?

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 03:37:20 PM »
From what you say about your Pro friend...and taking into consideration the difficulty of Bethpage....if it were me...I would play Myopia Hunt Club...even though I owe Maidstone a round after my comments last year about a little hole with an ugly intersection in play....either would be a relaxing come down from Bethpage.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 03:41:09 PM »
sounds like deepdale would be a good choice
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

DTaylor18

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 03:41:12 PM »
Myopia is nowhere near Bethpage.  It is well north in the suburbs of Boston.  I would estimate, with moderate speeding, that it is a 5 to 6 hour drive at least, and there is always traffic on the island.  But I like your Myopia sentiment.

blasbe1

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 05:14:11 PM »
If he's looking for the really obscure thinking man's course, I'd suggest the Lido or the original St. Andrews Golf Club.  To play either of them properly at this point would require tremendous thought!

Metaphysical in fact ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 07:49:48 PM »
The Creek Club in Locust Valley.  It is a great golf course and club that fits your description of the kind of course he'd enjoy very well.

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »
Garden City is quite close to Bethpage. In New Jersey, Essex County CC is a fine course.

DTaylor18

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »
I can only speak for the ones that i have played, but Garden CIty remains one of my all time favorite places, and it's an easy, short drive from Bethpage.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 08:54:14 PM by Dan Taylor »

Gerry B

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 12:27:29 AM »
Some more to add to the liist

take the drive and boat to Fishers Island - if you can get on - you will not be disapointed
Yale
Maidstone
Somerset Hills
Friars Head not short from the tips but great
Piping Rock

JakaB

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 07:25:04 AM »
How difficult would the drive be to scoot over to Shinnecock and National for a relaxing 36 the next day....I quick tour of Sebonac would be a nice touch.

SPDB

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 10:21:12 AM »
You have plenty on the island, and within a short drive of BPB, to keep you and your companion's interest. Based on your description of the courses you're looking for, Wayne's recommendation of The Creek is spot on. At a hair under 6400, it is short, sporty and wonderful. As an added bonus with no extra charge, you'll get to see and play one of the greatest holes in the world, the 6th at The Creek - it is not to be missed.

And do me a favor when you go, take a pic of the approach to the 5th so we can put to bed the ridiculous notion of Pat Mucci that the hole possesses a skyline green, and he can finally make good on his bet to me.

P.S. In response to a previous post - although Fishers Island is a fine choice, it is not easy to get to from Farmingdale - you'll have to drive back through the city and nearly the entire length of CT to get to New London, where you'll have to board a ferry.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 11:29:21 AM »
Rockaway Hunt and Inwood are adjacent to JFK

JakaB

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 11:53:13 AM »
John, don't you think that before one sachays out to the Hamptons to play The Shin and The Nat, one really ought to consider zipping over to North Berwick first in one's Gulfstream to get a feel for the original Redan prior to playing such fine replications?  

Damn...I forgot about the Gulfstream....with access no longer being an issue...one can get one's out of mothballs.

JakaB

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »
Seriously...the guy said access is not an issue..so doesn't it make perfect sense on the second day to play a morning round at Shinnecock...have a pleasent lunch or a walking tour of Sebonac while eating a light snack...and then play a quick round at National...no grinding..just an architectural appreciation kind of thing....sounds like what I would do if I had the connections...I mean it is the pro at Bay Hill for Gods sake..

btw...the Gulfstream thing was a joke....but wouldn't be a bitch to own one and have no where to go..

Alex Chehansky

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2004, 11:39:41 AM »
thanks for the responses guys.  while access is not an issue, it might be at the shin or NGLA, besides it is a long trip down the island.  John is correct in that being a perfect day, but I think I will save that day for its own trip (NGLA, Shin, Maidstone and Friars Head in two days).  Will try Garden City, anybody seen Hamilton Farms yet in NJ?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2004, 06:14:03 PM »
Why on Earth would you limit yourself to 2 days, when you need 4 days, at 36 per day or 8 at 18 per day. These courses are just the best.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back