News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Best Loved Johnny Miller Quotes..........
« on: June 19, 2004, 04:12:22 PM »
"The real reason why they made these Redan greens was because of drainage. They liked to have the water drain off of them....." --Johnny Miller from the NBC US Open Telecast.

Mark_Fine

Re:Best Loved Johnny Miller Quotes..........
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 04:33:56 PM »
Tommy,
Didn't Mr. Fay refer to North Berwick's #14 hole?  He was close  ;)

But frankly, I said two years ago when I last played Shinnecock's Redan that it is not one of my favorites.  The approach is very severe and the green slope is over the top for green speeds much above 8 or 9.  The "options" that a redan is supposed to present just aren't there.  We stood at the crest as the green falls away and dropped a ball straight down and it rolled off the green.  I'll take #4 at The National or #2 at Somerset Hills over this one any day.
Mark

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 04:35:44 PM »
Mark,
I'll take NGLA too.

A friend IM'ed me after seeing my thread and said, "Lets take JM to #16 next door...."  I couldn't agree more!

pdrake

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 07:20:05 PM »
I'll take #11 at Mountain Lake over all of them including National..............

Jfaspen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 11:38:17 PM »
I personally loved how the blimp focused on NGLA twice today and the NBC crew chose to announce it...  About the only good thing left in the AT&T broadcast is when the blimp focuses on CPC and Wadkins mentions it and how he got to play it on tuesday or whenever.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 12:26:31 AM »
Tommy and others:

This wouldn't be the best week to take someone over to #16 at National.  The bottom of the green had to be resodded recently after ice damage killed the grass.

In fact, there are about twenty spots on greens and surrounds at National which suffered similar damage.  I had forgotten just how many true punchbowls there were in the greens there, but it was obvious when walking around on Tuesday.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 09:40:37 AM »
Are you sure JohnnyM didn't know what a redan hole is before this week? His remark that the design creates better sheet drainage is not technically untrue although incredibly hilarious.

As for Johnny's cliches, pehaps it's a well know one, but what he said the other day I'd never heard before. Some player left his ball on the wrong side off a green and had a chip really running away to the pin and Johnny said;

"This is a little like chipping your ball into your bathtub and trying to stop it before the drain".

I love the guy!

Another time Johnny was waxing on about the future of the long putter as he was watching Singh putt. He said he thought maybe it was not right to anchor the putt handle in your stomach.

He said;

"See that, V.J. is anchoring the putter handle in his FIJIAN belly button!"

As soon as he said that there was total commentator silence for about 30 seconds! I wish I could've seen the faces of the people in the booth and the rest of the on-course commentators!

Another time--I think it was that young Levin amateur who's playing so well but seems to be pissed all the time. He got pissed and slammed his club or somethinng and the TV reception went off for a few seconds.

Johnny said something like:

"Look at that, he slammed his club so hard he knocked out our TV picture!"

How could anyone not love a guy who says things like that?

Bruceski

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 10:20:41 AM »
Johnny Miller represents what all the commentators SHOULD be like: apathetic to the judgments of those around him. He clearly is the most candid of sports commentators (even more so than David Feherty), and because of such candor he occasionally goes out on a limb and falls off of it. It's refreshing to hear Miller when we have a world of scripted, sugar-mouthed Jim Nantz's, Jimmy Roberts', and Mike Tirico's for every other tournament. Lanny Wadkins should take notes this weekend.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 03:41:32 PM »
"That's a brutally bad shot for Tiger Woods...  That's not a Tiger shot"

After Tiger's 15-handicapper wannabe shot on the approach shot to #1 today.

PS - I'm a 15, so I know the shot well   ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 04:19:58 PM »
Johnny Miller continues to sing the praises of the golf course and said today that his already high esteem for the course even went up a notch with all the drama and controversy and how the course has played yesterday and today.  I like his strong opinion, unvarnished takes on various matters, particularly players and their management of the game.  If he was a little fuzzy on the Redan, well I'm sure he already heard about it and knows more for next time he is called to comment on a Redan-Nader, etc.  Afterall, he is in the booth to comment on play, not all the fine points of architecture, otherwise they'd have Doak or Dye or someone in the booth... ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug_Feeney

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 06:17:23 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Miller referred to Tiger as a
"Wind Psycho"
during yesterday's broadcast just before Tiger hit on #11.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 08:51:13 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Miller referred to Tiger as a
"Wind Psycho"
during yesterday's broadcast just before Tiger hit on #11.

He said it today, too.

The New York Post'ers are gnashing their teeth that Butch Harmon
didn't say it. I can see the headline now: "Psycho!" And the subhead: "Tiger's ex-coach says Woods can't handle a little breeze."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back