News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re:My first pilgrimage to the mecca of golf
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2004, 02:32:46 PM »
Here's the link to Sky King's journal that Dick referred to.

http://services.golfweb.com/library/dking/index.html

Good stuff.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ed_getka

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2004, 03:30:35 PM »
Mike,
  Thanks for the link. I really enjoy talking to Dan and hearing his thoughts, so I am sure I will love reading his journal.
   I can see why you love North Berwick so much, its a very special place.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2004, 07:27:30 PM »
The funny thing is that Sky King and I were over there at the same time, and I'm almost sure our paths crossed somewhere.  I was there for three weeks, and I think he was there for like over a month.  I wasn't on the computer back then--I don't think I even knew that much about the internet because if I did I would have found access for it to help plan the trip.

When I came back I was total mental wasteland--I couldn't work for weeks, and I just wanted to be back there and not here.  I spent what money I had when I got back on Tom Doak's Confidential Guide which came out like in late July or August, (It was to add to the collection of books I had just started to amass) and in December of 1996 I was over at my cousin's house and he showed me how to use the internet on his computer. I asked him to help me see if there were any discussion groups on golf architecture, which lead me right to the GolfWeb Architectural Discussion Group, which of course Dan was more or less in charge of. the rest is history, and I blame him for ruining my life! ;)

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2004, 08:01:33 PM »
Having just finished reading DK's Day 1 at Gullane #2, I can't believe I haven't read this before. Thanks Mike. Too funny, that sky guy.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2004, 08:58:45 PM »
which lead me right to the GolfWeb Architectural Discussion Group, which of course Dan was more or less in charge of. the rest is history, and I blame him for ruining my life!  

That, and ruining Fazio, Robinson, and Pazcuzzo's comfortable and status quo world for the next decade... ;D ::) :o

Somehow, I think if you guys would have crossed paths, you'd remember each other.  Afterall, neither of you are what could pass for camofauge, blend into the wood work sort of material... :P ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2004, 09:33:48 PM »
RJ- I'm shocked! You should know that when you are DK or TN and you see someone else who might resemble either or both, it would be no big deal. Just another face in the crowd.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 09:41:27 PM »
Dick,
This is true.  One looks like Old Tom Morris and the other Fat Albert. Yes, it would be difficult to think we missed each other, but you have to know when your in town, your in a trance. Its like the best dream you ever had.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2004, 09:56:20 AM »
Its like the best dream you ever had.

Emp,

Last night I dreamed I was back in St. Andrews looking at the ballot results.  

I tend to be a pretty contented fellow, but I have a bitter-sweet yearning to be in St. Andrews darned near every day of my life.  

Ed,

How'd you like that crater fronting the short one-shotter on the front at North Berwick?   Probably the greatest superfluous hazard in the game.

Regards,

Mike
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 10:43:40 AM by Mike_Hendren »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2004, 10:08:15 AM »
Mike,
I told you stuff like that was going to happen!

I get the same dreams too. Some really cool dreams. Skeletons running around the Old Course, while getting ready to fight battles. Some pretty weird stuff.

THuckaby2

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2004, 10:18:01 AM »
Notice the ackowledgements in Dan's Intro section?  Some people sure have been at this internet stuff for a long time.

But Tommy, I thought you pre-dated 1996 as well... interesting. I guess you're such a mythical figure, I can't imagine internet time preceeding you.   ;)

As for dreams of St. Andrews, well... mine tend to stop about a month after each trip.  But then again, I have made it pretty clear I love the game more than any particular site.  ;D

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2004, 11:43:33 AM »
Tom,
It seems more like 1986, but the timeline tells no lies.

You'll have to explain to me how you can ground yourself after one month. I find myself, after all of these trips having a VERY,VERY hard time getting back to reality. In fact I told a friend before this last trip to New York, I was afraid it was going to kill me mentally. Ironically I haven't been the same since.

And this is the honest to goodness truth.

THuckaby2

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2004, 11:48:52 AM »
Tommy:

It's simple.

After awhile, the pining gets more painful than fun.  I don't like pain.  So I tend to realize about then - and a month post-trip sounds right - that it really does do no good to wish for things that can't be had.  I then also look around and see the good right where I am.  

I also love the game more than any venue, so it makes it a bit easier for me.

Oh, going to Scotland changed me also - it reorganized my priorities for sure - that's why I've been back 4 times!  

But... the times between trips can either be spent pining for what's not there, or enjoying what is.  I kinda prefer the latter.

;D

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2004, 12:48:54 PM »
I would return in a second, although I have no desire to go during the busy tourist season ... May or Sept/Oct would be fine with me ...

My problem is trying to justify another trip without my wife ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2004, 03:06:50 PM »
It is funny How is Donald Steele's discusion of Rye it starts" that often my golfing daydreams are abuot Rye" Mine are about TOC and St. Andrews.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2004, 03:11:50 PM »
TigerB,

Steele's daydreams might be about Rye, but I assure you my nightmares are about his work at The Eden >:(

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back