News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Gracely

Hidden Gem - #6 at Western Gailes
« on: May 24, 2004, 04:22:55 PM »
We played Western Gailes at the end of our trip and while the course itself is not completely unknown or hidden, I rarely ever hear anything about the course on GCA.com.  In general I though the course was very good, although the fairways were much wider than neighboring Prestwick or Troon and the course is only about 6600yds, so the Open qualifiers could potentially go low if the wind is down.  

The one hole I thought was outstanding (and wish I had taken pictures of) was the 506yds. Par5 sixth hole, called Lappock.  The tee-shot plays diagonally over dunes and requires a carry of approximately 225-240yds.  The angle is somewhat similar to #13 at CPC.  The 2nd shot is blind, over the top of a hill and towards a directionaly marker.  The market sits between a higher dune on the left and lower dunes and the ocean on the right.  To this point it was a challenging hole as it required two strong shots, but the beauty of the hole is revealed at the top of the hill (about 80-100yds out).  The kidney-shaped green is nestled into the dunes on the left.  The fairway on the right falls off sharply to the left (towards the green) and allows well struck shots to roll towards the green from probably 50-60yds out.  Missing the green 10-15yds right will leave you on the ridge, about 20 feet above the green.  So finding that "slot" on the 2nd shot is critical.  The green itself is relatively flat, but there is a small dune that creeps in from the righ hand side about half-way into the green complex and it makes putting from the front-right to the back-right an interesting adventure.  The player has either pitch it over the dune/mound, or they can putt it over the slope as it's mowed to green height.  But putting it makes it difficult to get the ball close.  

Has anyone else played the hole or have a picture of the green-side area?  It would be a great hole to replicate even if it required moving some dirt. It might be tough to do naturally without similar terrain.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 09:29:51 PM by Brian_Gracely »

BCrosby

Re:Hidden Gem - #6 at Western Gailes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 04:31:17 PM »
Agreed. Western Gailes should be better known. It should not be missed if you are in the area.

I love the 5th, but there are seveal good holes on the "links" outward 9. I even like several of the inward holes that run along the railway line.

Bob

P.S. Has anyone played Southern Gailes?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 09:37:11 PM »
I love that whole series of holes from 5 through 8 or so. I do not have my stroke saver but Western Gailles has 6 or 7 holes that belong in a club of great holes anywhere. It has an incredibly cool clubhouse and lockeroom as well.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 09:38:50 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

SteveC

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 09:47:24 PM »
Gents,

I will be on the west coast of Scotland at the beginning of August. Current lineup includes Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Prestwick and Troon. Any suggestions for a "must play" in that general area? I have Monday and Tuesday free at this point and would like to play a round each day, if possible. Many thanks.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 02:44:05 AM »
Brian

I'm about 95% sure that the 5th is a "new" hole, built in 1980 or so.  The first time I played WG in 1978 they were putting in/planning to build 3-4 new holes on that North side of the course to replace others that had been commandeered for a highway expansion/chemical plant access.  Last time I played the course, in 1981 :'(the new holes were in play.

Wonder who they got to design/build them, because they were certainly good then and I am sure are better now.

Anybody know?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:42:22 PM »
Steve,

Have a look at the British websites in the In My Opinion section.  I'd commend Irvine, Prestwick St Nicholas, Troon Lochgreen and Ayr Bellisle.  West Kilbride, Greenock and Gourock are also worth a shot.  You're not much more than an hour from Edinburgh and not far beyond lie Muirfield, North Berwick, Gullane, Luffness New, Dunbar and (a personal favourite) Longniddrie.  And I should also commend to you an outing with the redoubtable Alfie Ward (see In my Opinion about Leadhills, Hickory shafts and Guttie balls.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 02:41:03 PM »
And I should also commend to you an outing with the redoubtable Alfie Ward (see In my Opinion about Leadhills, Hickory shafts and Guttie balls.

yeah, I second the recommendation to play with Alfie.  hickory golf is a great experience.  but don't bring your new-age clubs to his course or they may not come back in piece  ;)

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 05:19:12 PM »
I thought Irvine was pretty good, and Portland at Troon was very good. Some were high on Kilmarnock Barassie, but I did not get to play it.

I was very fond of the holes along the track at Western Gailes, some great short par 4's.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:19:52 PM by John Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Robert Thompson

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 05:25:05 PM »
Gents: I know Belleisle is well regarded, but it didn't strike me, after playing it last year, as a James Braid course I'd suggest to people.
If in the area, Turnberry is a must and the Kintyre course at Turnberry also impressed me. I think Donald Steel did a nice job there -- the polar opposite of his work at the Eden course in St. Andrews.

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 08:33:46 PM »
Gents,

I will be on the west coast of Scotland at the beginning of August. Current lineup includes Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Prestwick and Troon. Any suggestions for a "must play" in that general area? I have Monday and Tuesday free at this point and would like to play a round each day, if possible. Many thanks.

Go to Machrihanish. Worth every effort.
---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 04:46:26 AM »
Dave, how do you figure that Machrihanish is in the "general area" of Prestwick and Troon? I love Machrihanish as much as anyone, but you are talking about a five-hour drive between the two...

Cheers,
Darren

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 05:35:39 AM »
Steve

You're hitting the main players already (although Glasgow Gailes won't stand up in that company--Turnberry would, but I suspect you've been there before...).  If you want to fit in something in the the general area, do us all a favor and try to get on Southern Gailes/Dundonald, and report back!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back