News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Turner

Herbert Fowler's, Delamere Forest
« on: July 02, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »
This heathland/moorland course by Fowler has been mentioned on this site by Colin Sheehan.  

I found their website which has photos of every hole.  And although the photos aren't good, the course looks to have some character and might be a "sleeper".  
http://www.dfgc.ic24.net/intro.htm

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
I played the course many years ago, accompanied by John Berends, a one time Captain of Royal Liverpool and the R&A. He told me to prepare for a delightful experience and he was right. As I played it but once, I have little recollection of it's architecural significance but I do remember the sheer joy of the place.

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
Paul
Very nice. It looks to be a fun course, with some very interesting drives up and over ridges. I noticed bunkers with heather growing along the edges, I've seen the same pictured at Bershire and Walton Heath -- is that a Fowler trademark?

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »
If John Behrend recommends it, then it must be good.

Bob, what can you tell us about him - I thoroughly enjoy all of his books and was very sorry to hear of his recent passing away. He must have been a class act and a walking encyclopedia on golf.

Cheers,

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
Tom,

I was in an architect's office yesterday (Richard Mandell in Pinehurst) and taped above his desk was a picture of a bunker from the Red course at Berkshire that had heath on its face and all around it. Richard had taped it there for inspiration.

Cheers,

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
Ran;
You are right, John Behrend was a fount of knowledge, golf and otherwise. A wonderful sense of humor and a gentle man in every sense of the word.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
Ran;
You are right, John Behrend was a fount of knowledge, golf and otherwise. A wonderful sense of humor and a gentle man in every sense of the word.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back