News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Donald Ross restoration project
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
Ah, nothing like a GCA pissing match . . .

In the meantime can someone describe the eighth hole for us?

Thanks

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Lu Lu #8 is genuine with not a single sand or water hazard and is basically a lightly downhill, par 4, around 400 yards. (Help me on the yardage, because it is escaping me right at the moment.)

Blocking the fairway is a typical Donald Ross cross-inverted bunker/mound/hill that blinds the approach to a quick to drop-off natural punch bowl green. The area which the green is situated is pure magic. I can honestly say it is one of the funner shots I've ever played in the game to play simply because it is blind and the excitement of seeing where your has ended up.

To see the hole on Terraserver, go to: http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=10&T=1&X=2428&Y=22208&Z=18&W=2

If you look at the lower right corner of the picture, you wil see the entrance road for the clubhouse and the parking lot. The 8th plays right between those two areas and when it gets close to the green you can see the inverted bunker/hill, fairway and then the darker image of the green. Unfortunately it doesn't show a lot of detail but, however, it makes me want to jump on a plane to Philly as I write this.

JamieS

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
Michael,
The eighth hole at LuLu is a great medium to shortish par 4 by todays standards, I'm guessing about 380-400 yards. The tee shot, tree lined, although not as tight as some on the course plays downhill and just a hair left to right. The second shot is where the fun begins, depending on what side of the fairway you have hit it(or rough) and how far you have driven it...the second shot can be partially or totally blind. The green sits in a bowl at the base of a hill. About 20-30 yards short of the green on both sides are hills/mounds that restrict your view of the green/flagstick. The green itself has quite a bit of slope and contour in it as well. It is a great example of creating a hole by just using what the land had presented.
I'm sure you'll get some other accounts of this hole, but the above is what I remember of it.

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
The green on #8 LuLu does sit in a depressed bowl but I believe the green site is likely the high point (or just built-up some) of an old quarry which can be seen directly to the right of the green.

Although I've never stopped to look at incoming shots from the group behind me it seems like the shot selection into that green can be very varied. You should  definitely play a club less into that downhill blind bowl green and you might even be able to play 2-3 clubs less if you want to risk bouncing the ball down the rough-grassed blind bank in front of the green.

Sri Bunga Raya

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2001, 04:46:00 PM »
Hey all,

I’ll try and capture a few images of the 8th at Lu Lu tomorrow and post them here. (along with a description).  Once I have the images, how do post them -- do I need to set up a web page and reference that page or is there another (easier) way?

Sri Bunga Raya

TEPaul

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2001, 05:46:00 PM »
The easiest way to post photos is to get Tommy Naccarato to do it for you. All us computer ignoramouses get TommyN to do those kinds of things.

Sri Bunga Raya

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
As promised, the web page listed below has three photos of Lu Lu’s 8th.  The quality is not very good (my first attempt at posting photos on the web), but I hope it gives you an idea of how interesting and fun the hole is.
http://members.aol.com/sribungaraya/

boothill

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
Ok, one more time.  Does anyone know how this golf course got it's name.  I thought I once saw a reference to it as "Lulu Tempele" or even "Lulu Temple Belle" Golf course.  Even if you don't know, spin me a good tale.  I'm gullible.  How else do you think urban legends get started?

Sri Bunga Raya

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
Boothill:

Sorry I missed your post requesting information (or a story) as to how Lu Lu got its name.   Here is an overview to the clubs early history:

In 1904 George S. Cox owned a farm at Limekiln Pike and Jenkintown Road to which he invited his fellow Shriners and families on weekends. These picnics, featuring pig-roasts and chicken dinners, caused the farm by 1907 to become sort of a rendezvous for all of these friends. Then the inevitable happened: a fellow showed up with a golf club.
       The group rented the Cox farm in 1909 and Donald Ross built a nine-hole golf course on what are now the first seven holes. The Clubhouse, formerly the Cox residence, was located about where the first tee area now stands.
        A charter was granted by the State in the name of LuLu Temple C.C. in 1912. The land, upon which the present Clubhouse is located, was leased in 1918 and Mr. Ross was called upon to expand the course to 18-holes.

While I don’t understand the significance of “Lu Lu Temple” I do know that it has something to do with the Shriners.  In the early 1970’s the club officially dropped “Temple” form the name.

Not an amusing story, but true.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back