News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re: Riviera and what other course?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2003, 10:24:58 AM »
VERY GOOD ONE!

How could we forget Tori Pines! (aptly named after Tori Spelling, who used to live with  mom and dad in the "shack" across the street.

Holmby is one of the grand dames of the game. Sadly the Road Hole is no longer used.

From Geoff Shackelford's original interview from 1999 here on GCA:

GCA: What course is a personal favorite with which perhaps the readers may not be familiar? What do you like most about it so much?

G.S.: Well, even the obscure ones I like have been seen by the knowledgeable folk reading your web site, or have been reviewed by you, so no use in repeating how much I admire something like Somerset Hills or Baltimore. So I'll have to go with the Armand Hammer Golf Course here in Los Angeles. Bear with me here. It's 18 holes, on about two acres. The holes average about fifty yards. The shortest is about twenty-five yards, the longest about 70. It's in the most beautiful public park imaginable, in the Holmby Hills area where the homes start at $4 million dollars. The park is right behind the LA Country Club driving range, and right underneath TV producer Aaron Spelling's 56,000 square foot mansion. The park and golf course are filled with many rare trees from around the world, some of which you have to hit low bump and run wedges under, perhaps more than most of us traditionalists would like, but that's the fun of it! There is also a man-made creek that comes into play on a few holes, and the course appears to have been designed by Frederick Law Olmsted's son, John, back in about 1927. 'Holmby' as locals call it, costs $2 to play, and a whopping $3 on weekends. The greens average about a hundred square feet, and there are no bunkers! It's great for your wedge game and wonderful fun to contest spirited matches on. Sort of 'backyard golf' I suppose. My Pepperdine teammates and I used to come here after playing Bel-Air early in the morning. At first they thought I was nuts, then they fell in love with it. But don't come here with the shanks. Very expensive German cars tend to park on the street around the course and come very close to a few of the holes, and there is no protective fencing. Many wealthy locals and stars walk around the park, and they won't hesitate to call their speed-dial-programmed personal injury attorney if you accidentally shank one into them. I've seen Ronald Reagan, Michael Eisner, Garth Brooks (playing catch with his limo driver), Rene Russo, and many others walking, jogging or playing with their kids at Holmby. Corey Pavin practiced here with the UCLA guys (and we know how his short game turned out). Mac O'Grady loves it so much he now lists it as his home course on his US Open application (only Mac!). Every city and every club should have a 'pony' course like this. It's great fun for everyone, excellent practice, and wonderful for kids. And you can play 36 holes in an hour!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

les_claytor

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2003, 07:14:51 PM »
Tommy,

I played Holmby several times when I lived in LA, well Valencia anyway.  I used to take my wife there and play, talking about a tough place to learn.  

Tell us about the Road hole! I never played that one.  I could tell there used to be a green in what's now that busy picnic area behind #3 green.

I always thought an annual Holmby Open would be fascinating and great fun.  Maybe a shot gun start with nine twosomes or even threesomes.  You could easily get a morning, afternoon and evening start.

How about a Holmby marathon!  That could get frustrating.  Hell, I don't think I ever broke 40 there, maybe.  It's a pretty humbling little track  ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2003, 10:41:56 PM »
Les,
Are you taking about the North end of the..... Ahem ...course?

Since I was last there, Geoff informed that they had closed a few greens, as the lawn bowling "citizens" are threatening an all out, mass take over of the course. They want it gone.

The Road Hole was actually #4 right alongside on the main street, in fact it came dangerously close to the street, and it was quite the hazard.

les_claytor

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2003, 06:55:48 AM »
Hmmm,

I was concerned about the demise of Holmby when I was last there a year ago.  I hope they can organize, and work with the parks dept. to keep and improve the course.  It really is a treasure.  

Just think if they could verticut the rough and get it a little tighter!  $$$$$  Hell, I would scalp it down and get it tight.

It really is a very cool course for social interaction.  Aren't there enough bowling greens in LA?

How about a "Friends of Holmby Park" society?  I'd pony up for an out of town membership!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back