News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re:Who is golf architecture's most versatile designer?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 01:57:49 AM »
Do we automatically take out of this discussion archies that only spec for bidding and have no on-staff construction personnel or subsidiary?  Are we speaking of versatility on paper, or versatility in the field?  You can't be versitile in the field without a specific and talented staff who translate your visions.  Do we speak of versatility that encompasses flexiblilty?  Which organization can take a good or bad tract of land and get multiple course routings and stylings and make the concepts turn into realities, while making them compliment the land and its surrounds?  

We posters here at GCA keep coming back to a select few archies and thier organizations.  They are the usual and nearly only suspects in the case at hand.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 01:58:31 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2004, 08:58:37 AM »
Mr. Daley makes a good point and question. I intend to seek some comment on a separate thread, which I am planning at this moment and the next 2,340 moments.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2004, 11:03:25 AM »
DPB11,

No, they are not "EXACTLY"  the same, but many of them are similar, and similarity is not a part of the definition of versatility.

Don't confuse the difference in a black and white photo and a color photo with the difference in the object that is the subject of the photo.

RJ Daley,

So you don't object to the discussion of the works of architect's who haven't been granted "most favored nation" status ?   ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 11:05:20 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2004, 12:29:56 PM »
c'mon Forrest, you left me dangling this morning waiting for you to expend those 2340 Richardson moments to get something going.  Is a Richardson moment a measure of time or distance?  How far did you travel since this last post? ;D ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2004, 12:37:30 PM »
I'm on moment 302 at the moment...no, wait, it's now 301 based on that last comment.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2004, 01:36:19 PM »
You are relatively fast, not half fast then... ;D ;) 8)

Michael Dugger

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »
For the sake of conversation, I think that Donald Ross was awfully versatile, as far as dead guys go.

The bunkers on many of his courses reflected their natural setting.  Seminole with all the sand to Oakland Hills and Oak Hills parkland look.  He built dinky courses like Wannamoisett and works in progress like Pinehurst.

I know we tend to spend our time discussing what is familiar about a certain designers' body of work-what is unique to what they do-but overall I think Ross massaged a golf course out of the existing landscape.

To me this is what versatility in a golf course architect implies-that they build a course that fits the terrain.  You don't build a links course on parkland.  You can't put Cascades Homestead in the desert.  Firestone North would not sit well in Clementon.  

Just my two cents. :-\    
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2004, 02:25:15 PM »
Ross was great, no doubt. Slifkin was, however, THE greatest in my view.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

DPL11

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2004, 02:36:45 PM »
Patrick,

I wasn't trying to change the definition of versatility, but I was trying to show Sean the differences in bunker styles since he brought it up.

Thank you for pointing out the difference in subject matter vs. b/w and color photos. I never would have made that seperation without your help. ???

Doug

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2004, 01:05:31 AM »
Sean,
Once again, Please list the Coore & Crenshaw courses you have played and seen to allow you to make this statement.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back