News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re:Rankings quiz time!!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2004, 04:41:57 PM »
Scott:

No, my comments about aerials were not at all directed to you.

You simply post aerials for information purposes. I am speaking about people who base opinions on the merits / lack thereof of courses simply through aerials or second and third hand accounts.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 06:56:07 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting this aerial.

Do you know the date of the photo ?

Dave Madison,

The fairway and rough lines, from above, seem fairly crisp, that's why I'm curious about the date of the photo.

Pine Tree is FLAT, and I think that fact eliminates the ability accentuate features at ground level.

Jupiter Hills enjoys great elevation changes for Florida.
I believe that the 10th tee area is the highest elevation in all of south Florida.  Other areas of the golf course are close to sea level.  Pine Tree doesn't have that luxury and thus relies strictly on the architecture and challenge of the golf course.
Slightly elevated greens produce some of the distinctions as do some of the fairway bunker foot pads, but the issue of clear lines of demarcation between rough and fairway lines is very difficult when the tees, fairway and rough are all at the same, low level, and most of the play is when the grasses are dormant.

When I first played Pine Tree, the greens were lightning, so, I'd like to see them get rid of the effluent water, and return to those conditions as their primary goal.

But, that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 07:09:46 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

David_Madison

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 08:08:16 PM »
Pat,

When I played Pine Tree, I was told by my playing companions that the course has a lot more of the fairway/rough definition during the summer, just as you had suggested. They explained that during a recent summer, the club hosted the Palm Beach County Amateur and everyone was more than challenged by the rough. And, the course more than had the type of defined look that I was describing.

I completely appreciate each of your points in response to my notes. It just comes down to preferences, I guess. I like to see a variety of grasses, shadings, and so on. I don't want to see it forced, but when appropriate... And I don't prefer fairways cut to look like landing strips. Again, don't force shapes where they don't belong, but a softer ebb and flow just looks better to me when it's appropriate. I hope to have the opportunity to see Pinetree during the summer I (if they'll have me after my postings here), when the bermuda is growing.

Speaking of courses that fell off the rating map, are you familiar with Colony West? If so, do you remember it before they built the clubhouse, when #1 was a par 5 and #10 over 600 yards and heading dead east? I vaguely remember seeing in one of the major magazines Colony West on a list of the ten or twenty-five most difficult course in the country. Talk about a brutal course from tee to green! This had to be the hardest flat course in the world, and they did it with a number of greens and greens complexes that were flatter and simpler than Pine Tree's. It had all the length of Pine Tree, but with a lot more water, trees, narrower fairways, and OB. If I remember correctly, tour players used to go over there after missing the cut at the Inverrary Golf Classic and really get beat up. From the tips in a two club or stronger wind, anything under 80 was a miracle.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 11:51:06 PM »
Pat,

I don't know the date of the photo.  Most likely within the past 2-3 years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back