News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Calling Jeff Schley!

Saw this news on social media and isn't Andy Staples still working on the South course?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 04:28:33 PM by Ben Stephens »

Andrew Buck

Re: Andrew Green at Olympia Fields (North Course) calling Jeff Schley
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2024, 05:03:22 PM »
The punchlist on South should be finalized this fall.  It’s a much improved product and a lot of fun.

North is such a great property that the thoughtful use of a chainsaw and mowing patterns with some bunker tweaking/removal could go a long way.  Green is also great so I’m excited to see his vision brought to life.   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 09:35:11 PM by Andrew Buck »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 05:04:31 PM »
Duplicate post in error
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 09:38:44 PM by Andrew Buck »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 09:25:16 PM »
This is true and was announced to members the end of May.  As with many decisions there was a committee to select an architect. I wouldn’t take this as unhappiness with Andy Staples work on the South Course.  The work was done over 2 years and had to switch contractors last fall (not AS fault at all), but the result has been something to celebrate. There is a master plan in place to keep pursuing other items like fescue, fairway expansion and maybe a chainsaw for more trees.  However, the focus as noted here has pivoted to the North Course.

I don’t think this is a venue to discuss anything the committee has provided to members, or rumors. I would say that Andy Staples did great work and is much appreciated by the membership. He set a high bar for Andrew Green and we certainly hope he can achieve the same standard for the North.

There hasn’t been any formal master plan or proposal sent to members as of yet. While most would want to strive to polish the North in order to attract a pro event (major ideally), I personally don’t believe that is needed to appreciate the course. I’m anxious to see what Andrew Green sees as priorities for work done, of course to be voted on eventually.  For now enjoy the South’s restoration (thanks Andy) and maybe start the North in 2025 sometime.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 04:44:42 AM »
This is true and was announced to members the end of May.  As with many decisions there was a committee to select an architect. I wouldn’t take this as unhappiness with Andy Staples work on the South Course.  The work was done over 2 years and had to switch contractors last fall (not AS fault at all), but the result has been something to celebrate. There is a master plan in place to keep pursuing other items like fescue, fairway expansion and maybe a chainsaw for more trees.  However, the focus as noted here has pivoted to the North Course.

I don’t think this is a venue to discuss anything the committee has provided to members, or rumors. I would say that Andy Staples did great work and is much appreciated by the membership. He set a high bar for Andrew Green and we certainly hope he can achieve the same standard for the North.

There hasn’t been any formal master plan or proposal sent to members as of yet. While most would want to strive to polish the North in order to attract a pro event (major ideally), I personally don’t believe that is needed to appreciate the course. I’m anxious to see what Andrew Green sees as priorities for work done, of course to be voted on eventually.  For now enjoy the South’s restoration (thanks Andy) and maybe start the North in 2025 sometime.

It's pretty much like Medinah having a different architect for each course revamp. I look forward with anticipation to see what Andrew Green work at East Lake is like at end of next month.

JR Potts

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024, 11:08:42 AM »

Very excited to see what Green does.  He is immensely talented and will do a great job for Olympia Fields.  He certainly has a lot of great land to work with.  Happy to see this project move forward.  Congrats!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2024, 12:10:59 PM »
[quote author=JR Potts link=topic=73107.msg1754266#msg1754266 date=1722438522

Very excited to see what Green does.  He is immensely talented and will do a great job for Olympia Fields.  He certainly has a lot of great land to work with.  Happy to see this project move forward.  Congrats!

One thing I admire about Medinah is just how bold you were with the selection of OCM, and the memberships willingness to let OCM re-imagine large portions of a course with such history.  It looks amazing!  I’m not sure where, but I saw somewhere you indicated that you probably have thought more about ways to improve #3 than anyone alive, and OCM was able to see/suggest things that hadn’t ever occurred to you.

That is what I’m looking forward to most about seeing what someone as talented as Green comes up with.  I believe the original greens (although some room for expansion) and routing are strengths of North, so I wouldn’t expect this project is as bold but very excited to see what Green identifies. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back