News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Welsh Wizard Short Tour of Mid Wales: So Close ST IDLOES GC
« on: September 12, 2024, 12:55:37 PM »
Just about as centre of Wales as one can get, Llanidloes is home to St Idloes GC. Llan more or less means land around a church which means the town is named for the obscure 7th century saint...the only church dedicated St Idloes. The course is just north of the handsome town on the River Severn. Textile industry served as the main source of income until factories were introduced in other nearby areas. This led to unrest and eventually the Chartist Riots in 1839. Three protestors were held captive until their release was forced by the crowd. It to a detachment of South Shropshire Yeomanry to restore order. Many of the beautiful buildings were the result of lead mine production which was at full speed by the late 1860s. This prosperity was short lived. By the early 1920s the mines closed and the town remains much much as it looked 100 years ago. In the centre of town is the magnificent Old Market Hall built around 1600. Oddly, it basically serves as a roundabout!

The course dates from 1897. It seems the club moved closer to town at some point, but returned to its original location just after WWII. St Idloes is essentially a parkland course, but perhaps its character has been altered from more of a moorland type. The land around course certainly suggests there has been a gradual transformation with trees proliferating throughout the property.

A curious opener, this short hole plays downhill. Trees are immediately noted as being problematic, yet the hole is good despite the neglect.

Playing between trees left and OoB right, the 2nd turns right up the hill. Going up this hill is a re-occuring theme for St Idloes. Behind the green showing from left to right, 2, 9 & 3.

Hemmed in by trees, the third is actually a good hole.

Moving past the 4th, the two-shot 5th makes it way back up the hill.

Back down we go....more trees...heavy sigh.

The 6th is forgettable, but the marker pole is not.

The land for the 7th makes for a good short hole, but the hand of man lets the side down. The 8th differentiates itself from the 5th with a daring carry to high ground shy of the green.

Once again, the downhill drive to a one lane fairway through trees is what is called for on the 9th....terribly disappointing. That is all I can say about St Idloes...disappointing. There is a good course on that property. Get a tree surgeon on site and nothing but good things could happen. Until then, I cannot recommend St Idloes. 2024

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 02:45:17 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

Re: Welsh Wizard Short Tour of Mid Wales: So Close ST IDLOES GC
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 02:18:14 PM »
Difficult to disagree with Detroit Golfer.
Twas my idea to visit so any blame is on my shoulders!

St Idloes is a so near and yet so far course although one never going to be a hilltop classic like say Kington or Llandrindod or Welshpool etc as some of the holes are on the bland side.

First a couple of positive things ….

The conditioning of the course and surrounds is excellent, even more so given that the club only has 1 greenkeeper.
And
The location is delightful. Quiet and tranquil with a friendly vibe.

But ….. the trees ……. arghhhhhhhh ….. they ruin the place!

Such a shame.

Being a hilltop in Mid-Wales the views over the surrounding countryside ought to be gorgeous, there are in a couple of places where if you search hard enough you can see them, but 99% of the time all you can see is a damn tree or rather thousands of the damn things.

Corridors of them tightly line almost every hole and surround the course on three sides too hence no gorgeous scenic off-course views.

And they’ve planted more in the last few years!
Yes, more! Arghhhh!

It would appear that the course was once open aspect, there are several places where for example indigenous heather is growing. Yet it would seem that someone, some committee, decided circa 60 years ago to plant trees, and copious amounts of them.
Worse still, based on the multitude of staked trees around the course, someone else, or some other more recent committee, decided to do the same thing about 3 yrs ago as well and thus more have been planted.

Such a shame. Although the course is never going to be an amazing must-visit rural and rustic gem, it could be significantly better.

Am I glad I played the course? Yes, despite its tree induced short comings I enjoyed it. Would I go back if in the area? Probably yes, it’s only a few quid (£) into an honesty box, and clubs like it with only 170 or so members need a bit of visitor cash, but it wouldn’t form the core course on a tour or a target must-play despite the presence of the brilliant alignment pole behind the 6th green with a red dragon atop it (!).

I’m sure the members love the place however. It did look very well looked after, very spic-n-span, very tidy, not just on the course but around the clubhouse, carpark, driving range etc. Yes, it’s got a driving range, just a few covered bays with an uncovered area too.

But the trees …………

Atb

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 02:54:28 PM »
Totally understand what you guys are saying, but where I live in Minnesota, USA, that looks like about medium for treeocity. Yes it can be frustrating to play, but if that level of trees was disqualifying, I'd almost never play golf.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 07:31:00 AM »
Two words:
Artless Benching.
 8)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 08:48:10 AM »
Two words:
Artless Benching.
 8)
F.

Yes, but isn't it beautiful  ;)

Niall

Sean_A

Re: Welsh Wizard Short Tour of Mid Wales: So Close ST IDLOES GC New
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2024, 02:53:49 AM »
Totally understand what you guys are saying, but where I live in Minnesota, USA, that looks like about medium for treeocity. Yes it can be frustrating to play, but if that level of trees was disqualifying, I'd almost never play golf.

I replay the odd stupidly treed course now and again if it’s of some interest.. Almost without exception I walk away frustrated and feeling like why did I bother. My closest course is an example. I wouldn’t dream of joining the place and it has Dr Mac heritage.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 06:27:22 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2024, 05:42:22 AM »

That's certainly the narrowest fairway I've seen for a while.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back