News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: GB&I Golf Trip Budget
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2024, 11:37:31 AM »
Supply and demand I’m afraid. And it trickles down to lessor courses too. Mind some clubs/courses need to be careful. Gold rushes don’t last forever, so some courses had best be careful what they spend any gold rush money on coz it might not be there in the future but the edifice built will be and it’ll need upkeep, likely with members money.
As to trips …..

Select your arrival airport carefully. There are more options than may seem likely and some will give greater or lessor flexibility in terms of onward ground transportation.
Following arrival lots of internal travelling is tiring and wastes golf time if you wish to play more than 18-holes per day.
Choose an area and stay there or close by. Hiring a house and splitting the cost is a good option. Then play by radiating out from your base to whatever courses you can play or get on. Allow for some chill time, playing when tired usually detracts from the standard of play and lessens the memories.
It isn’t usually that cold in the U.K. in the main season so how much kit do you really need, really need to bring with you? Do you need to bring that umbrella? It’s heavy.
If playing more than one round change into a clean pair of socks after 18-holes, your feet will love you for it and sore feet and blisters detract from the golfing experience.
And please wear your hats the correct way round (and never indoors),speak quietly and leave lots of lovely ProV1’s in the rough for us impoverished Brits to find and re-use! :)
Have a great time.
Atb

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2024, 11:51:46 AM »
I have made over a dozen trips to GB&I. One trip worth considering is to fly into Bristol and play courses in Somerset (Burnham and Berrow), Devon (Westward Ho!, Saunton), Cornwall (St Enodoc, Trevose), and if you have time, wander into Wales (Porthcawl, Southerndown, Pennard). The golf is wonderful, and the driving is relatively benign if you don't mind driving on the left. It can be crowded in the summer, but September is a great time to go, and the green fees at most of these courses are reasonable. there are other courses you could add.

Tommy, Those are two good trips.

I have the following two on the drawing board:

Camberley Heath                    £98.00        Harry Colt
Minchinhampton (Cherington)    £30.00        Martin Hawtree
Minchinhampton (Old)            £30.00        Robert Buff Wilson
Painswick                                    £22.00       
Kington                                    £31.00        CK Hutchison
Church Stretton                            £30.00        James Braid
Cleeve Hill                                    £40.00 (30 PM) Old Tom Morris
Tadmarton Heath                    £60.00        Harry Vardon
Frilford Heath Red                    £115.00 (or 150 for both)     JH Taylor
Frilford Heath Green                    £115.00  (150 for both)     Frank Pennik
Huntercombe                            £120.00        Willie Park Jr
Swinley Forest                            £250.00        Harry Colt

Ganton     £250.00        Harry Colt
Alwoodley     £225.00        Alister MacKenzie
Moortown     £140.00        Alister MacKenzie
Lindrick     £125.00        Old Tom Morris
Fulford     £125.00        Charles MacKenzie
Sand Moor     £90.00        Alister MacKenzie
Reddish Vale £45.00        Alister MacKenzie
Cavendish      £55.00        Alister MacKenzie

I always hire a car and drive. IMO, the cost of hiring a driver for four or fewer players is cost prohibitive and it's really not too difficult to get used to driving in GB &I.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2024, 12:08:17 PM »
Someone should write a guide book (maybe they  have) identifying the best GB&I courses under £100

With the continuing significant green fee increases the book could be badly out of date in a few years. As an example places like Goswick and Silloth were always heralded as great bang for buck courses that were cheap. Both are now about £100. Guess what happens? Goswick gets a bit of money and rep and they want to change the course.

Ciao
They always wanted to change the course.  The rep and associated money mean they can afford to.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2024, 01:01:08 PM »
The best budget trip to Scotland would be to join either Golspie, Brora or Tain as a Country or Overseas Member and spend 7 to 10 days in the Highlands. That should cost no more than 400 pounds for one year's membership.

That gives you:

1) Unlimited play at the club you join.
2) The ability to introduce 8 to 12 guests at the "guest of member rate" at the club you join, which is usually 20-30 pounds.
3) The access of 3 reciprocal rounds per year at each of the other 2 clubs at their "guest of member" rate, plus the same privilege at Royal Dornoch.     
4) These clubs also have reciprocal agreements with many other clubs in the Highlands. Golspie has reciprocal arrangements with just about every club in Sutherland & Caithness.
5) Golspie & Brora are James Braid courses, which gives you access to many other James Braid courses at a reduced green fee.

And, best of all, you get to spend some time in a beautiful part of the world without having to change hotels every other day. :)   

p.s. Current summer season Visitor green fees are 100 pounds at Golspie & Tain, 140 pounds at Brora and 280 pounds at Royal Dornoch.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 03:20:33 PM by David_Tepper »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2024, 01:22:17 PM »
Just before covid we did a very nice Philadelphia trip. One evening we went to a very pleasant steak house and my brother asked what came with his $80 steak, watercress was the reply. With $15 fries, $15 veg and 20% service a simple plate of steak with no drinks was $130. That evening in a modest steak house would get you a round at several world top 100s in the UK.
It seems you visited a tourist trap restaurant. You are always shocked at the real cost of golf travel in the States as we don’t have the equivalent of the “member’s guest” rate at our highend clubs. I know you like to leverage your connections for super exclusive golf excursions, but golf in the UK has gotten crazily expensive in the last 10 years… to the point where the most expensive courses are priced above and beyond even Pebble Beach, which was traditionally the pricing leader.

Do you remember the shocking bill we received from Inverness? That is paltry compared to what would be submitted today.

Brits are totally spoiled with reasonably priced club memberships and guest fees. As Yanks learn to access the members guest connections (as you have done with your US connections) the club guest fees will explode the same as visitor fees have done. I can’t believe that UK club members on this site try to educate overseas visitors about the guest rate system in the UK. Trust me… you are shooting yourselves in the foot, or worse.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2024, 02:56:47 PM »
Just before covid we did a very nice Philadelphia trip. One evening we went to a very pleasant steak house and my brother asked what came with his $80 steak, watercress was the reply. With $15 fries, $15 veg and 20% service a simple plate of steak with no drinks was $130. That evening in a modest steak house would get you a round at several world top 100s in the UK.
It seems you visited a tourist trap restaurant. You are always shocked at the real cost of golf travel in the States as we don’t have the equivalent of the “member’s guest” rate at our highend clubs. I know you like to leverage your connections for super exclusive golf excursions, but golf in the UK has gotten crazily expensive in the last 10 years… to the point where the most expensive courses are priced above and beyond even Pebble Beach, which was traditionally the pricing leader.

Do you remember the shocking bill we received from Inverness? That is paltry compared to what would be submitted today.

Brits are totally spoiled with reasonably priced club memberships and guest fees. As Yanks learn to access the members guest connections (as you have done with your US connections) the club guest fees will explode the same as visitor fees have done. I can’t believe that UK club members on this site try to educate overseas visitors about the guest rate system in the UK. Trust me… you are shooting yourselves in the foot, or worse.

Big difference between a tourist trap and a NY style steakhouse. Everyone knows or should know going in that everything is a la carte. Can you get a cheaper meal at Ponderosa or Texas Roadhouse? You absolutely can but it’s an apples to oranges comparison. You aren’t going to Peter Luger once a week but it’s a terrific night out for a special occasion especially if someone else is picking up the check. ;D

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2024, 03:06:12 PM »
I have made over a dozen trips to GB&I. One trip worth considering is to fly into Bristol and play courses in Somerset (Burnham and Berrow), Devon (Westward Ho!, Saunton), Cornwall (St Enodoc, Trevose), and if you have time, wander into Wales (Porthcawl, Southerndown, Pennard). The golf is wonderful, and the driving is relatively benign if you don't mind driving on the left. It can be crowded in the summer, but September is a great time to go, and the green fees at most of these courses are reasonable. there are other courses you could add.

Tommy, Those are two good trips.

I have the following two on the drawing board:

Ganton     £250.00        Harry Colt
Alwoodley     £225.00        Alister MacKenzie
Moortown     £140.00        Alister MacKenzie
Lindrick     £125.00        Old Tom Morris
Fulford     £125.00        Charles MacKenzie
Sand Moor     £90.00        Alister MacKenzie
Reddish Vale £45.00        Alister MacKenzie
Cavendish      £55.00        Alister MacKenzie

I always hire a car and drive. IMO, the cost of hiring a driver for four or fewer players is cost prohibitive and it's really not too difficult to get used to driving in GB &I.

I did this trip once. It was great fun and the golf was exceptional.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2024, 03:37:43 PM »

Big difference between a tourist trap and a NY style steakhouse. Everyone knows or should know going in that everything is a la carte. Can you get a cheaper meal at Ponderosa or Texas Roadhouse? You absolutely can but it’s an apples to oranges comparison. You aren’t going to Peter Luger once a week but it’s a terrific night out for a special occasion especially if someone else is picking up the check. ;D

Agreed, if you pay A la Carte it typically means you went to an actual steakhouse, and not Applebees.

Its a bit like hotels, the more you pay, often its an extra charge for Wi-fi, Parking, resort fees, Breakfast, etc.  If you want all that inclusive?  Go to the 2 star hotel down the street and pay 1/2 the price.

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2024, 03:40:38 PM »
Someone should write a guide book (maybe they  have) identifying the best GB&I courses under £100

With the continuing significant green fee increases the book could be badly out of date in a few years. As an example places like Goswick and Silloth were always heralded as great bang for buck courses that were cheap. Both are now about £100. Guess what happens? Goswick gets a bit of money and rep and they want to change the course.

Ciao
They always wanted to change the course.  The rep and associated money mean they can afford to.

And it's not as though they haven't made significant changes in the past. I always thought the first hole wasn't much cop with the sharp dog-leg. Superb green site doesn't make up for it.

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2024, 04:01:41 PM »
I have to say I’m usually very skeptical of modern changes to old links courses, but the changes proposed at Goswick seem to be very well thought out and will IMHO make the course much better.

I guess we will see in time.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2024, 04:08:28 PM »
This is morphing into a “Don’t tell ‘em Pike!” thread.
Spread the word, spread the demand, spread the congestion, increase the cost?
:)

Atb

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2024, 05:35:11 PM »

Tim - a lot of these places, especially steak houses, are like visiting some of the “top” golf courses. Are they good… yes, but there is no way they can live up to the hype and price.

A friend from Australia told me yesterday that he has a trip to the States planned for 2025. He is scheduled to play Shadow Creek… wait for it… for around $1200!!! I kept thinking that he could play a full year of links golf at Gullane for the cost of one round at a manufactured faux North Carolina woodlands layout.

I just don’t get it.

John Handley

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2024, 06:08:06 PM »
Look, everyone is entitled to their own measure.  If this guy wanted to always play Shadow Creek and is willing to pay $1200 to do it, then good for him.  I've played SC when it was $500 and I don't need to do it again.  But I wanted to experience it and I did.  Maybe he's a huge Tom Fazio fan.  ;D   I took clients at the time so actually ESPN paid for it.

The point is, there is enough great stuff in the world of golf that works for everyone.  If you have enough money and want to play Top 100 courses, take caddies, stay in 5 star hotels, eat at great steakhouses, order expensive wine, and be driven around in a lux Mercedes Sprinter van, good for you.

If you want to drive yourself around, play $50 courses, eat at small inexpensive restaurants, carry your own bag, and stay in cheap B&B's, that's great too.  There are so many good golf courses in GB&I and around the world that people can do what they want.  Who are we to judge?

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2024, 06:23:59 PM »

Ciao

And it's not as though they haven't made significant changes in the past. I always thought the first hole wasn't much cop with the sharp dog-leg. Superb green site doesn't make up for it.

Niall

Cut the trees down on 1 and make 18 a par 3. “Problem” solved. Cut down trees on 9 and problem solved. Sometimes convoluted expensive solutions are chucked up for issues that aren’t that hard to solve.

John…not judging. Just offering cheaper alternative for a guy who complained about cost.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 06:26:07 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2024, 10:30:59 PM »
I just spent 11 days in Scotland with my sons as I wanted to do the trip while I am still able to.  Driving around Scotland is not bad but try to rent a diesel or hybrid vehicle which get very good MPG.  It is my understanding that your US insurance will cover you in the UK and I was told by American Express not to get any insurance as they pick up the cost of any deductibles.  We tried to stay in
B & Bs as much as possible as I have found the owners to be wonderful hosts and really make you feel at home.  In St Andrews there are quite a few near The Old Course and makes it easy to walk with your clubs most anywhere or you can take the free shuttle.  There are hotels like Marston's and Premier Inns which are very nice and certainly basic but good enough for a golf trip.  I think you might be surprised at how many fellow GCA members are members of clubs in the UK and are willing to host you at their clubs.  Finally, keep in mind that there is plenty of daylight in Scotland during the summer which means more opportunities to play while on the other hand the demand goes down quite a bit during the shoulder season.   

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 07:19:43 AM »
Lots of good advice on this thread.

I Chuckle at what many people pay to play overcrowded tourist oriented courses with 5 hour rounds, stay in expensive hotels and are driven long distances daily due to the need for staying in hotels that operators push, and fear of left side and manual trans driving .

Air bnb. Self drive(you don't need full coverage if you have a good credit card policy-Chase) , hidden gems..
No caddies(they aren't available anyway most places I play)
That's it.

I'm always amazed that groceries are less $$ than where I am in the US, and it's way more convenient for breakfast or a in house kitchen dinner after a long day-can save you when in a remote town where everything closes at 8 pm.

Better experience. Way less $$ means more trips.

Bandon is terrific but if you think it's a substitute for Scottish or UK culture you're missing the point.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 09:02:16 AM »
Cut the trees down on 1 and make 18 a par 3. “Problem” solved. Cut down trees on 9 and problem solved. Sometimes convoluted expensive solutions are chucked up for issues that aren’t that hard to solve.

John…not judging. Just offering cheaper alternative for a guy who complained about cost.

Ciao
9's not a good hole, even with the trees removed.  I'm in a minority in liking 18 as it is.  I think that moving the tee on 1 is a reasonable solution to the problem, and still leaves the slightly awkward (in a good way) approach at an angle, rather than straight up the green. 

The changes to the 4th green were apparently down to traffic, but I think it was a great site before.  I'm very sceptical about the changes to 6, which I think is a great par 5 as it is.

I'm appalled by the suggestion that the architects employed wanted to change 15 and hope it's not true.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 10:40:50 AM »

Bandon is terrific but if you think it's a substitute for Scottish or UK culture you're missing the point.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 02:12:21 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.
I don't vilify anyone for wanting to play expensive courses and take caddies because they can afford it, anymore than I would classify others as frugal or cheap because they don't. For some or many, it isn't the cost, it is the limited amount of time they have to take trips.  That is my case as well, with limited vacation time that isn't devoted to seeing my immediate family where they live and typically non-golf activities. While golf is great, there are other things in life we all know.
When I do have time for a golf trip, I have my preferences and take trips with others who align. I would hope others don't malign me, anymore than I would do them, if our preferences aren't shared. It brings us together regardless of where, if you golf you are my friend, I believe a true saying.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Michael Morandi

« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 02:52:06 PM »

I Chuckle at what many people pay to play overcrowded tourist oriented courses with 5 hour rounds, stay in expensive hotels and are driven long distances daily due to the need for staying in hotels that operators push, and fear of left side and manual trans driving .

Air bnb. Self drive(you don't need full coverage if you have a good credit card policy-Chase) , hidden gems..
That's it.

I'm always amazed that groceries are less $$ than where I am in the US, and it's way more convenient for breakfast or a in house kitchen dinner after a long day-can save you when in a remote town where everything closes at 8 pm.

I didn’t say Bandon  is a substitute for being in the GB&I. What I did say is that the club secretary of a Braid course in Scotland, having just returned from Bandon, said Americans didn’t need to visit Scotland anymore. He was referring to the golf, not the culture and everything else. I’ve lived in London, was a member of a Scottish club, and traveled throughout GB&I. I’m glad I played most of the greats and not so greats in the late 1990’s. The point of my post is that golf is becoming less affordable there and, if you’ve already done the trips, Bandon seems like a good alternative so long as you bring a wee bit of whiskey. Clearly nothing can compare to the aura and characters one finds overseas. I’m grateful to those who have used this thread to identify the hidden gems that don’t break the bank.

jeffwarne

Re: GB&I Golf Trip Budget New
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 03:02:36 PM »

That's it.

I didn’t say Bandon  is a substitute for being in the GB&I. What I did say is that the club secretary of a Braid course in Scotland, having just returned from Bandon, said Americans didn’t need to visit Scotland anymore. He was referring to the golf, not the culture and everything else. I’ve lived in London, was a member of a Scottish club, and traveled throughout GB&I. I’m glad I played most of the greats and not so greats in the late 1990’s. The point of my post is that golf is becoming less affordable there and, if you’ve already done the trips, Bandon seems like a good alternative so long as you bring a wee bit of whiskey. Clearly nothing can compare to the aura and characters one finds overseas. I’m grateful to those who have used this thread to identify the hidden gems that don’t break the bank.

Agreed Michael-my post was a bit hasty/confusing.
And for the record, I rather enjoyed the town of Bandon when I visited there, both times in winter.
Stayed in town both times-some amazing values in the winter and the weather was actually perfect.
Had a wonderful meal in a tiny family owned Italian restaurant as well.

Jeff Schley is right-different strokes for different folks-just be aware there are all levels of budgets available, and as Jeff says, time is the most precious commodity for many.
Personally, I find the local remote gems far more of a unique experience and see far less tourists/Americans-but that's just my taste. It just happens to be way less expensive as a bonus.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:20:06 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Morandi

« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 03:20:35 PM »
No worries, Jeff. I agree that if someone doesn’t know the difference between GB&I and Oregon, they are indeed missing the point. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that there are so many hidden gems in the home of golf. I’m thankful for those who have pointed them out. There might be a business in writing a guide book highlighting them, but then they wouldn’t be hidden anymore🥲

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 03:29:27 PM »
I think what Jeff was really trying to say is regardless of your budget, one should at least make an effort to ensure value.

You can be ripped off paying $15 for a $5 sandwich, just like spending $250 for a hotel room might be a terrific value if it normally costs double.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back