News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Bowman

9 Hole Track: 2nd stab at the back? Or different path?
« on: May 11, 2024, 11:39:38 AM »
On a nine hole course, which seems most appropriate:
1. A second opportunity to out-do yourself on the back 9 from the same tees?
2. Play the same holes but played from different tees so that the same course is enjoyed/experienced a little differently?

Peter Sayegh

Re: 9 Hole Track: 2nd stab at the back? Or different path?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 12:50:22 PM »
For me, option 2.
Every time.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 04:24:58 PM »
I like the idea of both options being available. If the course was great, I’d probably want a second crack at it. If it’s mediocre, some variety might be called for.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 04:39:07 PM »
Prefer the same tees. Find alternative tees only add something about 10% of the time. And there’s usually a couple where I don’t like the alternative angle. Rather play the best version of the hole twice.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 06:07:23 PM »
I’d be interested to know the maintenance/cost implications of having 2 separate/permanent sets of tees rather than using the same tees twice if playing 18-holes?

Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 07:34:05 PM »
If there is an opportunity for quite different tees to be built without a crazy transition then I say go for it. But I don’t really buy into 9 holers turn into 18 holers with a completely different set of tees. It’s a nine holer, embrace it. So I am gonna play the tee I think makes sense on the day.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 08:04:54 AM »
I’d be interested to know the maintenance/cost implications of having 2 separate/permanent sets of tees rather than using the same tees twice if playing 18-holes?

Atb
Not really much difference at all in the scheme of things.

I think a 9 hole course can be greatly enhanced by a few things that could work in a combination, though you do need room and many nine holers are already cramped.
(1) Alternative tees that vary the tee shot, perhaps by having tees both left and right of the previous green or big difference is the yardage, perhaps even altering the par.
(2) An alternative green so you might have a two different greens for a hole you play say one as the 2nd and the other as the 11th.
(3) A large green with differening levels and two flagsticks, you say play to the red one as the 3rd and the yellow one as the 12th.
(4) Possibly an alternative hole running the same general direction, really only likely to work as a par 3.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Peter Bowman

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 11:01:20 AM »
Prefer the same tees. Find alternative tees only add something about 10% of the time. And there’s usually a couple where I don’t like the alternative angle. Rather play the best version of the hole twice.

How about if you were a member at a 9-hole course and you play it multiple times a week. Would an additional set of “unofficial” unrated tees be appealing so to add a little variety to your experience?

I laughingly recall one person saying “if you’re spending most of your time with one person, missionary gets old after a while” when justifying additional tees to add variety to a course without altering the routing in any other way

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 11:08:50 AM »

How about if you were a member at a 9-hole course and you play it multiple times a week. Would an additional set of “unofficial” unrated tees be appealing so to add a little variety to your experience?

I laughingly recall one person saying “if you’re spending most of your time with one person, missionary gets old after a while” when justifying additional tees to add variety to a course without altering the routing in any other way

If you are going to use an additional set of tees why not have them rated?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 11:18:05 AM by Tim Martin »

Gary Kurth

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 12:09:02 PM »
If this is a course I haven't played before or rarely play, I'd use the same tees.  The first round will be used to figure out where features are and learn each hole's layout. 

I've used alternate tees on our local 9-holer.  I'd like the club to add more tees to change things up but there is limited land, very limited interest and no funds.

If the 9-hole course is going to be built, then I'd strongly encourage multiple tees and double greens on the par 3s.  A small town near me (Adrian, MN, pop. 1,200 http://www.adriancountryclub.com/course.html, see their website for some pics) built a 9 hole course about 30 yrs ago.  It's a very enjoyable course.  They have double greens on the par 3, some par 4s become par 5s and vice versa.  The back tee yardages are as follows:

#1 503 yd par 5    #10 422 yd par 4
#2 409 yd par 4    #11 370 yd par 4
#3 393 yd par 4    #12 506 yd par 5
#4 545 yd par 5    #13 417 yd par 4
#5 371 yd par 4    #14 317 yd par 4
#6 187 yd par 3    #15 164 yd par 3
#7 444 yd par 4    #16 514 yd par 5
#8 172 yd par 3    #17 156 yd par 3
#9 322 yd par 4    #18 433 yd par 4
Out 3346 yds         In 3299 yds

Hopefully the attachment to work.  It's a heck of a course for small town:

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 07:32:11 PM »
^^^^Place looks very cool! A couple things I like:

1) The greens are not ovals from the overhead view, they actually have some shape to them, pretty rare trait for a modest 9 holer

2) Unirrigated rough.

On the topic of creating variety for a 9 hole track, how often does (did) Sweetens put out two hole locations per green? Was that everyday?
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Peter Bowman

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 07:20:09 AM »

If you are going to use an additional set of tees why not have them rated?

They certainly could be rated but it could be dicey in a course that has unique sets of tees (Forward and Back tees, plus Front and Back 9 tees). The additional tees would be made to play the course quite differently, and even change the par on many holes. So using those single tees in handicapped events like Men’s League could lead to challenges in leveling the playing field.

The additional tees will certainly reduce the course length, and thus the rating, while scoring in relation to par will be harder (more par 3’s). But I suppose hey could be rated, but the real intent is to add some variety for the members to experience the course another way

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 11:06:30 AM »
Is this a Goldstrand?  I do not always like his courses but his creativity is noteworthy.  Sometimes it worked quite well and sometimes he delivered real clunkers. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2024, 11:12:05 AM »
Is this a Goldstrand?  I do not always like his courses but his creativity is noteworthy.  Sometimes it worked quite well and sometimes he delivered real clunkers.

Should have looked it up.  Apparently Goldstrand did not design it.  One online source listed the architect as Drew Demerast.  I have no idea who that is.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2024, 03:54:07 PM »
Guess I missed the option to design and/or build different teeing areas in Peter's original post.

Thought it was an either/or question.

I recommend every person visit Midland CC in Pinehurst and play different tees.

Shot decisions change. The angles change. No additional acreage necessary.

Gary Kurth

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 12:43:30 AM »
One online source listed the architect as Drew Demerast.  I have no idea who that is.

I spoke to the local contractor that performed the grading work for Adrian.  He said that Drew was a grounds keeper for a course in SW Minnesota, maybe the Marshall CC.  Drew walked that site multiple times to develop the routing and was onsite throughout the grading and making changes on the fly.  There were several mounds that were constructed and then moved.  I recall hearing (many years ago) that Drew performed the shaping of the greens himself. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2024, 06:38:48 PM »
I'm a second crack guy all day long.

I might make an exception if there was a unique, accessible and convenient tee that offered an extraordinary view , strategy etc.

But I have no issue with those who want to mix and match their tees for additional variety.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 10:20:12 AM »
2. Play the same holes but played from different tees so that the same course is enjoyed/experienced a little differently?

I might make an exception if there was a unique, accessible and convenient tee that offered an extraordinary view , strategy etc.
So...

Your "all day long" commitment comes with a caveat?

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 10:28:39 AM »

So...

Your "all day long" commitment comes with a caveat?

"he was night putting. Just putting at night..."
so yeah, there can be caveats after sunset...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 10:46:15 AM »
jeff,
I don't understand any part of your reply.

Your post regarding the original question by Peter clearly straddled the fence without any definitive preference.

It is an either/or proposition.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 11:25:27 AM »
jeff,
I don't understand any part of your reply.

Your post regarding the original question by Peter clearly straddled the fence without any definitive preference.

It is an either/or proposition.

I'm pretty sure since he used the words "most appropriate"
that I can use the word "might"

Get Out Of Here GIF - Get Out Of Here GIFs

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back