News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Beasley

One day of late November golf in London
« on: January 05, 2024, 03:09:37 PM »
Hi everyone and Happy New Year.  I'm going to be staying in central London for a week in late November, and I'll have one day for golf. What would you recommend?

I'm wondering if for example I need to head for a coastal links given weather considerations that time of year.

Courses I have already played in the area are St. George's Hill, Woking, Princes, London Golf Club, and Royal Blackheath.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

David_Tepper

Re: One day of late November golf in London
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 03:23:54 PM »
I would take a look at playing either of the courses at Sunningdale. While not as famous/historic as the Old, the New is very, very good.

If I remember correctly, the Sunningdale train station is no more than half a mile from the clubhouse and is an easy walk. There are multiple trains a day between Sunningdale and central London (Waterloo station?).

My recommendation certainly depends on the weather. If it has been very wet and/or very cold, you might have better luck heading to a links on the south coast.   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:29:16 PM by David_Tepper »

Jordan Beasley

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 04:21:09 PM »
Thanks David - I probably should have mentioned that Sunningdale was the first course I thought of, but according to their website they don't welcome visitors after mid-October. If anyone on the site has reason to believe that might not be a "real" restriction, I'd love to know.  Otherwise I'm looking for a plan B.

Brian Finn

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 04:34:05 PM »
If you want to stay closer, I highly recommend Swinley Forest.  They actually have a website now, so shouldn't be too tough to get in touch with them (as it once was).  Not as close to station as Sunningdale, but a very quick and easy cab.

If you decide to head to the coast, I suggest Royal Cinque Ports (Deal).  Also a short cab ride from the train, and an absolutely terrific links.  Perhaps the best set of links greens in the world, and really fun to play.  The people there are extremely nice, as well.  I suppose you could also consider RSG.  It is decent. ;D
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 06:17:32 PM »
Rye is reputed to have the best winter greens you'll find anywhere. They play the President's Putter (for Oxbridge graduates) in January there. That's worthy of a shout. Otherwise it's hard to go far wrong with Sunningdale or Swinley if you can get on them. Walton Heath is pretty good too and not far from a train line (Kingswood is the one you'd need).

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 09:12:44 PM »
Beg, borrow, or steal your way onto Sunningdale and play both. Might be the best pair in the world. Skip the bacon roll.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 12:21:02 PM »
Sunningdale is a very short walk up the hill from the train station.  I took the train from London, played the New and Old and returned at a reasonable hour. 

Huntercombe is slightly underrated while being popular here - particularly if you prefer a little quirk tossed in.  I list it among my top ten likes. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam_Messix

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 01:22:03 PM »
I visited London/South England this past November and had the good fortune to play a few courses.  This year may have been a bit of an anomaly, but several courses were quite soggy due to the rains.  The proper links courses were still bouncy with the greens at Rye being in great condition.

My one bit of caution, there is very limited daylight in November with sunset in the 4:25 p.m. range so playing two 18-hole rounds in one day will be really difficult at the busier clubs. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 01:25:33 PM »
Go to the sea in late November.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back