News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

David Druzisky

Darkhorse Closed for Refurbishing
« on: June 07, 2019, 12:06:36 PM »
I know some on here have posted positively in the past about the merits of Darkhorse, just north of Auburn in N. California above Sacramento.  I got a call from a gentleman about a week ago saying he had just purchased the course and needs some help determining how best to go about getting the course back up to snuff.  My connection is of course having worked for/with Keith Foster early on.  I just returned from spending a few days on the course and with the new owner. 

Needless to say, the condition of the course and all the related facilities was troubling to see.  They may have had good intentions going in, but it's apparent the previous ownership (Asia Pacific Group) was in no position or chose to put little to nothing into the facility since acquiring it in 2002/3.  I believe they also inherited the place after it had limped through the bad economy prior and was already hurting.

With this in mind the new owner immediately closed the course.  The acquisition went really fast so any plans for an exact timeline is still being developed.  Several of the things that need to be addressed include items where safety is a priority.  With little to no resources, the small staff remaining at the course did a remarkable job keeping the place from completely falling apart.  Turf wise, other than being a little weedy and lean, things aren't too bad tee to green.  Somehow Ryan and his guys were able to keep the greens mostly Poa free and he credits a great support network of nearby Superintendents helping him along the way. Those of you that are superintendents on here would probably cry a little if you were to see the condition of the equipment they were limited with.  It looked like a red iron graveyard.

I'll try to update things as we go.

Design changes really aren't called for, but of course the bunkers are a complete mess.  This should allow us to do some nice things there when we get to them.

John Emerson

Re: Darkhorse Closed for Refurbishing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »
Do they have a superintendent currently?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »
Do they have a clubhouse yet?  For years they ran out of a trailer. Great layout and used to have nice greens but traps have always been trouble. The course was hurt by drought but that's no longer a problem. Hopefully it gets back to top 100 status it had.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David Druzisky

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
John, the existing Superintendent is still in place.  His department needs and will get a complete upgrade in resources for sure.

Tim, no, the clubhouse is still that crappy temporary building, but they were busy pulling everything out of it when I left and I believe they will not be using it as such.  Initially there are no plans to build something of significance there.  The original owner had a great clubhouse design that he was never able to do as the project ran out of legs.  It took advantage of the unbelievable views out over the course of Lake of the Pines.

Jordan Beasley

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 01:47:06 AM »
Hi all - I wanted to bump this thread to provide a brief update on Darkhorse, as I visited a few weeks ago. I only had time for ten holes, but from what I saw the course looked and played very well-cared for.  When I showed up first thing in the morning there was a queue of golfers eager to tee off, and when I left a few hours later the driving range and parking lot were full. I never would have guessed that only a few years ago the course was in disrepair and changing hands.

I can highly recommend the course; it strikes me as a perfect "on-the-way-in" or "on-the-way-out" stop when visiting Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area or the Sacramento area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back