News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Jackson

Re: Need a little help - Golf's Great Walkups/Walkbacks
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2022, 08:21:29 PM »
Thanks again everyone.  I'll report back when we have a final product to present.

A few last shots from Yale I just came across.  Walking through the forest trail between 10-11

Steve Lang

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2022, 10:27:51 AM »
 8)  Jim, as nice as that wooden stair passage may be through the forest at Yale, not sure I'd call it natural, or great... kinda pales in comparison to some forest passages in northern Michigan near the 45th parallel...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ira Fishman

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2022, 11:46:26 AM »
Crossing the bridge back from the 7th green to the 8th tee at Streamsong looks pretty great or so my wife tells me—my phobia kept me on the tee side.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2022, 12:05:58 PM »
Hyderabad Golf Club (India) requires a walk through a 600 year old fort (Golcanda) that is too small for a golf cart. In our new routing, the dark passage leads from 1 to 2 … and 17 to 18. There is also a walk from 16 to 17 around an old fort building c. 1600s. Contact us if you want photos. Hyderabad is one of a kind.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2022, 12:28:13 PM »
Hyderabad Golf Club (India) requires a walk through a 600 year old fort (Golcanda) that is too small for a golf cart. In our new routing, the dark passage leads from 1 to 2 … and 17 to 18. There is also a walk from 16 to 17 around an old fort building c. 1600s. Contact us if you want photos. Hyderabad is one of a kind.

That's a very cool place. 

The previous routing was very weird, hope you have found some way to get back to the tunnel that makes more sense.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »
Yes! No more crossing holes and just two holes below the clubhouse. Not four!!
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2022, 02:08:02 PM »
Pete Dye has a walk through a tunnel in West Virginia according to George Pazin as I recall.

The walk to the great reveal of the Seattle skyline at West Seattle. From 11 to 12 I believe. I have a good picture somewhere that I can't find.
EDIT
Their website features a picture of the reveal.
TIDE
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 02:37:56 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2022, 02:35:11 PM »
3 to 4 at Tenby
But the best I have seen is 8 to 9 at Tenby.
Prompted proud local to proclaim, "Eat you heart out Pebble Beach."
I concur.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2022, 02:45:32 PM »
When it comes to walk backs, the climb back to the elevated tee at 16 at Ashburnham gives the greatest reveal on the course. The only other place I recall a reveal at Ashburnham is after playing up to the 18th green. But, that doesn't suit the criteria for this thread.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2022, 01:39:29 PM »
17 at Tradition is pretty cool. Even if you take a cart, you still have a 75 to 100 yard walk to the little tiny back tee. The one caveat is that you can see the view as you go, so there isn't as dramatic a "reveal" at the top. Still pretty memorable!

SL_Solow

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2022, 07:56:35 PM »
Concur with Ira on 4-5 at Blackwolf Run River

David Whitmer

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2022, 08:08:03 PM »
Walking up to the 1st green at Ardfin and then turning back to the tee was awfully memorable.

I also really like the walk from the 3rd green to the 4th tee at Ballyneal.

Bob Montle

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2022, 08:09:58 PM »
Not dramatic but quite cool is the walk from 14 to 15 at Crail Balcomie. It is almost out to the point where the North Sea meets the Firth of Forth. The colors in the water were eye catching.
Plus 1
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Jeff Schley

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2022, 01:22:57 AM »
I'm having a hard time finding any photos that do it justice, but my first play at Oakmont walking up to the tee box at 1 and later 10 was very impressive as you can see the entire property from a high point with the very few trees left. Every expansive view and your day was surely going to be great with anticipation.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back