News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Golden Gate Park Golf!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »
David,

Thanks for sharing.  I will be certain to visit one or two of these little gems next time I am in San Francisco, which I hope is before too long.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 03:56:52 PM »
Nearly every young golfer played in the Examiner Junior Golf Tournament at GG Park. Like everything else in S.F., this little gem is/was badly abused by the dogmatic morons who have destroyed the city.

At one point, the entire maintenance crew was comprised of one gardener, whose duties were mowing the grass occasionally - and maybe removing fallen branches.

Willie Brown - who still does not know which end of the club to hold - made a speech back in 1999, bragging that SF Public courses would become better than any of the country clubs in the area.

When questioned by the congenitally combative San Mateo County Times golf scribe his plans for GG Park GC, our former carpet-bagging criminal (TV cameras rolling) stood up, looked me right in the eye and blurted into the microphone: "What you talkin' bout? Golden Gate Park does not have a golf course!"

Last time I was at GG - about 3 years ago with my son, the tees were dirt with the occasional crabgrass patch - and the greens had more dollar spot than actual grass.

They have also sucked neary every penny out of Sharp Park - and years later, despite endless fund raisers and a million dollars of pro bono legal work to clear the way for Jay Blasi to do a sympathetic restoration, it is still just another unkempt mud hole - a grossly underperforming asset, only being kept alive to raid the till for the SF General Fund.

BTW, last time I looked, the Fleming Nine is also a disgusting disgrace. You're lucky if there is a flag attached to the pin - and the actual cups are mostly broken plastic, pounded into bare dirt.

Sorry gang, there is no way to put a Mr. Smiley Face on this debacle.

On a lighter note, I've still got the hate mail from Willie's office, demanding a retraction for my "insulting and baseless accusations." When one of his drones at City Hall called our Managing Editor (RIP) demanding I retract my statements or be fired, Terry asked the magic question:

"Is there anything in those last three columns that are factually incorrect?"

And that was the end of that.   

« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 04:04:34 PM by Gib Papazian »

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 04:04:23 PM »
"BTW, last time I looked, the Fleming Nine is also a disgusting disgrace. You're lucky if there is a flag attached to the pin - and the actual cups are mostly broken plastic, pounded into bare dirt."

Gib -

Just how long ago was that?

DT

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »
Before covid, but I'm going to go look this afternoon if things have improved.

GG Park is still a mess-o-matic - and I was at Sharp Park a week ago . . . . . makes my heart hurt, seeing what a fabulous place it could be.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 04:33:31 PM by Gib Papazian »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
I went around GGP in Sept 2019 and the conditions were good. If anything I was surprised at how lush it was given that it was the end of summer. I suppose at the west end of the park there the course gets a lot of fog and heavy air that keeps it wet even if the city isn't technically recording rainfall, but the other courses in the area I played on that trip were all much drier.

John Keenan

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »
I played it in October this year and it was in nice shape. Not sure how recently Gib played it but it is not a mess-a-matic latley.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 02:26:05 PM »
Hoping Gib had a chance to get back and re-assess.

I grew up on hardscrabble munis and seek them out any time I'm in a new city.   I usually try to find the oldest one(s), but lately have also developed quite the affinity for par three courses.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back