News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Great Lakes Guttie? Maybe Lake Erie Lip-Out!
« on: November 20, 2021, 07:56:28 PM »
As a practicing, high school teacher, it's a challenge to get away for one of these fabled GCA gatherings. The courses are wonderful, but my window is narrow and weekdays during the school year just don't get it done.

On our trip to Pittsburgh last June, we stumbled onto Chartiers and fell in love. This fall, my team played Meadville (also PA) and had a great time. This all got me thinking.

There are many pairs of accessible courses along the Lake Erie route from Cleveland to Erie to Buffalo. Pittsburgh ain't far away from any of them. I'm wondering if it is time for a Great Lakes event, or a Lake Erie one. If you live in this region and would play, or if you are fortunate enough to be able to travel when you wish, let me know below.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BHoover

Re: Great Lakes Guttie? Maybe Lake Erie Lip-Out!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »
I’m in Maryland. I would play in a Lake Erie-centric event.

John Foley

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 08:55:16 AM »
Ron - I'd be interested for sure. For a potential venue I'd suggest Pennhills outside Bradford PA. A bit remote but a wonderful Travis gem w/ amazing greens which Ian has done a bunch of work on.
Integrity in the moment of choice

C. Sturges

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
Hello Ron,

Please count me in.   I am in Cleveland.  Would enjoy meeting others and seeing new courses, as I have not golfed much in this area.

Thanks,
chris

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »
Penn Hills and Pine Acres pair well-8 miles apart.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Drew Harvie

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »
I would be curious to see details. I'm not able to commit to anything but I would love to hear about it and try to come.

Billsteele

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
Living in Columbus, Ohio, I would love an event like this depending upon the date. Wanango is another decent option in the Northwest corridor of PA. Not too far from Meadville.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 03:15:10 PM »
Bradford could be a low-key destination. There are hotels there. It's not high on everyone's radar. I think that Ian's work is ongoing, so I would want to wait until 2024 or so, in order to showcase it at Pennhills. I'll check with him.

PUBLIC
Erie has Lawrence Park and Whispering Woods (which is a hilarious course that people on this site would die for...Lots of funky tee shots, but potential to lose a LOT of golf balls.)

Buffalo has a bunch of very good courses, easily ten in the metro area. Cleveland has the same.

Accessible Private
This would be the sticky part. Erie has a few privates (Kahkwa, Lake Shore, Lake View) but Kahkwa is not super accessible for this type of thing. Buffalo might have a few. Cleveland might have a few.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 10:09:54 PM »
Penn Hills and Pine Acres pair well-8 miles apart.
Oh my. Please, better courses (and not in Bradford) are all over.

PUBLIC
Erie has Lawrence Park
Lawrence Park has been private for… ever?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 10:11:49 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
Merged above. Delete/ignore.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »
What's the muni in Erie? I thought it was Lawrence Park. Alas.

If it turned into an annual event, we would get to all sorts of courses.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Sherma

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 03:22:40 PM »
If the dates worked for me I would happily drive up/out from Hershey. Did the Sunnehanna - Indiana combo up that way recently, great combo.

To address Ron's question below - My hurdle to travel is much lower the better the courses get. I like good company, I like it better on a good course.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:44:35 PM by Jim Sherma »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 06:10:58 PM »
What's the muni in Erie? I thought it was Lawrence Park. Alas.
Downing.

Of the private courses, Lake Shore is a clear #4. But getting on most isn't impossible at all, even with a group. Kahkwa would be the most difficult.

Erie is a good golf town. The "problem" is that there's not much between Erie and… Pittsburgh, Buffalo, or Cleveland. You can get to Meadville CC, or maybe Little Mountain to the west not far into Ohio.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

V_Halyard

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 06:35:55 PM »
Living in Columbus, Ohio, I would love an event like this depending upon the date. Wanango is another decent option in the Northwest corridor of PA. Not too far from Meadville.

If Steele is in , I'm coming.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:29:01 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 10:13:08 PM »
What I need to measure is, which people would show for top-shelf golf courses only, and which would show for the camaraderie, regardless of golf course...

I've always been enamored of the term movable feast, and I could envision this as something in Erie one year, Buffalo another, Cleveland another, Pittsburgh another, Bradford another. Three of the sites have a large amount of courses. One has a medium amount. One has a small amount.

On the island where I live, we have a neat, Desmond Muirhead club that we might be able to access. North of Niagara Falls is a post-Chamber Bay, RTJ2 course with a lot of chops. Those two would make a nice pair. There are easily eight pairs of proximate, accessible courses in Buffalo. I suspect it is the same in Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 01:40:00 AM »
This sounds like a PGL or SLG challenge to the hegemony of the Midwest Mashie.  Are we sure the Saudis aren't involved?

V_Halyard

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 07:26:46 AM »
This sounds like a PGL or SLG challenge to the hegemony of the Midwest Mashie.  Are we sure the Saudis aren't involved?
Ha ha.  :) The Mashie fully supports this effort and declares an Open Borders alliance with the Guttie. That said, we are not above accepting international slush funding.

-Vaughn,George,Jason,Criss,Pat
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:29:27 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

MCirba

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 07:55:09 AM »

If Steele is in , I'm coming.

Ditto.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt Bosela

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 01:43:22 PM »
If the masses are able and willing to cross the border into Canada and the Niagara Region, I can investigate the feasibility of Lookout Point CC (Walter Travis - 1922) hosting a day.  Lookout is private and as such, I'm not sure what their appetite is to host a large gathering but if this is an add-on as part of an event held elsewhere, I would be willing to bet that I'd be able to accommodate 4-5 foursomes.

Lookout is ranked inside the top 50 courses in Canada and I think most here would find it to be a fascinating place to play.

COVID has made things difficult for land crossing (you currently need a PCR test to get into the country, in addition to proof of vaccination) but perhaps more restrictions will be lifted by next year.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 11:27:16 PM »
I live in DC, but am originally from Cleveland, so I'd be interested.  Anything with a reasonable degree of architectural interest (Manakiki and Sleepy Hollow in the Cleveland area, for example) will be appealing to me.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 06:37:14 AM »
What other GCA get-togethers have been listed to date, for 2022? Add what you know with a copy/paste in the replies.

June
July
August
September 11-12: Midwest Mashie
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back