News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rgkeller

Re:Article on new course at Bandon Dunes
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2003, 09:03:06 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

I suppose, then, that short people should notice more skyline greens than tall folks.

Funny, I always considered Mucci to be tall.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2003, 09:33:11 PM »
SPDB,

There's a little white dot, about an inch below the tennis courts, where the fairway and rough meet.

Draw a straight line from that point to the right side of the green and tell me what exists behind the green on that line ?

Tall trees also exist to the left and behind the 18th at NGLA,
but that doesn't disqualify # 18 as a skyline green.

80 foot trees were once 4 foot saplings, the green was designed as, and remains, a skyline green.

rgkeller,

I am, but I'm much more observant then my fellow GCA'ers, like TEPaul, who needs his faithful guidedog Coorshaw to point out the various architectural features.

Coorshaw loves trees, but has an aversion to doglegs, unless they're at the right angle.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 09:35:40 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

SPDB

« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2003, 10:10:12 PM »
Pat - Tree(s).

You're already getting fast and loose with your lines of sights, and place of perspective. How about moving toward the center of the fairway and then to the right rough line. Or even closer to the green, where an average drive might land. Still Skyline?

But, since I answered your question, please answer mine. If you continue on this line that you've set up from the short right rough, and you reach the shadow that is directly on line, and on the other side of the road, what do you think is causing that shadow?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 10:10:39 PM by SPDB »

rgkeller

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2003, 11:00:36 PM »
"If you continue on this line that you've set up from the short right rough, and you reach the shadow that is directly on line, and on the other side of the road, what do you think is causing that shadow?"

It must be a blimp.

SPDB

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2003, 12:41:46 AM »
Tom,
Thank you for repeatedly adding gravitas to my posts, by restating them within a matter of minutes.
 ;D ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2003, 05:44:11 AM »
"I suppose, then, that short people should notice more skyline greens than tall folks.
Funny, I always considered Mucci to be tall."

rg:

Pat Mucci is tall but his height is not the point here.The point is only his inability to notice things regarding golf course architecture!   ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2003, 05:55:19 AM »
Sean:

What am I repeating within minutes? I didn't know you were aware that C.B Macdonald designed #18 at Piping Rock as a "skyline" green but that the Long Island polo interests purposely ruined that effect by building the clubhouse behind that green to destroy C.B's perfect "skyline" green. But if you want full credit for pointing out to Pat that Creek's #5 green is no longer a true "skyline" green then by all means take it. It's just that I was out on #5 about two weeks ago looking at that very thing.

And it's just that I feel that it's necessary to instantly inform those interested in architectural education that Pat Mucci is wrong about 96% of the time.

tck

« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2003, 10:25:42 AM »
I don't understand the earlier concerns about the C&C design team working at Bandon.  The area south of the Bandon course that is clearly visible from the 15th green and 16th tee, was not suitable for a course without significant alterations to the land.  This is not manufacturing, and judging from their work in Nebraska, this seems to be the best team to work with the land and then come to a minimalist design.  Anyone who has seen the land knows that it will take some work to make it receptive to a course, but it can be done and will eventually bear the characteristics of the topography in which they have to build the new course.

Additionally, the area north of PD seems better suited for a new course, but this land seems to be much like the area on which BD and PD are on, so the area south gives the resort an opportunity to offer a different type of course.  (Also, I was told that the area north already has some holes which are the private domain of a private course Keiser and friends.)

SKIPPER

« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2003, 12:42:13 PM »
Have they hired a superintendent yet?  I heard rumors of one of the guys at East Hampton moving out there.  that would be nice, everytime i visited East Hampton it was in great shape. One of my favorite course to play.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2003, 01:27:14 PM »
tck,

What makes the land unsuitable for building a golf course without significant alterations to the land ??

What type of alterations ??

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back