News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Mickelson given special exemption for US Open by USGA
« on: May 14, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »
The USGA doesn't give many of these at all, but with all the discussion of it going back to his hometown predictably they extended one. Should be used very judiciously in my view as it defeats the purpose of it being an "open" where you have to qualify. Special exemptions are invitationals, so I would think this would be a one time thing for Phil. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31443970/phil-mickelson-receives-special-exemption-play-us-open
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

Re: Mickelson given special exemption for US Open by USGA
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
OT please.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:12:08 PM »
I've said this before.  Golf at this level, PGA Tour or the big four, is show business.  Mickelson is an attraction.  I have mixed feelings about him personally, but from a show business standpoint I second the motion to bring him in.

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 09:25:38 PM »
 8)  as i remember Phil saying to Feherty, "hey, I came in second 6 times, that ought to count as a win... " or some words close to that...  I hope he makes the cut and gets some good tv time, and if not, start to focus on the Sr US Open.

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

V. Kmetz

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 11:37:26 PM »
I had forgotten he was otherwise non-qualified, the gap between WF in September, with BDC and no gallery, and all, it became lost in my mix... I third the motion without reservation. As a popular figure, with chops, a big, big winner with the well-stated entertainment appeal, he falls just short of Arnold Palmer for this last generation, just as his top dog, Woods falls just short of Nicklaus' kingship.

As they were well to give Arnold an exemption, I believe, at age 64 in 1994 to go round in Oakmont's spawn territory, Phil deserves one, at age 51, in San Diego on a course he can rightfully claim as part of his biography. He is also still close enough to his winning era, so that the invite isn't JUST a sentimental forbearance.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 02:50:07 AM »

V. Kmetz

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 04:58:36 PM »
 Validating this decision...
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 05:09:18 PM »
Looks like he’ll be exempt!
Cave Nil Vino

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 10:00:48 PM »
Yep, the exemption is now moot.
As an aside here's hoping no one got infected in the (mostly) maskless mob.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back