News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Re: The Perfect Golf Hole -
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »
VK--

This place is a hidden gem.  I played it about 10-15 times from 1973 thru 1994, and lived about 0.6-0.7 miles from the 5th tee (as the crow flies).  Must confess to having never understood its brilliance back then, but always felt a sense of frustration (for lack of a better term) that none of the supposed "keys to the vault" seemed to work on it...which brought doubt to mind about any and every decision on the tee. I now understand that to be the primary job of an architect.

Funny story about my first time at the club.  We arrived around noon on a Friday in August 1973 10 days before Labor Day (long story why I know exact days), and my host asked the locker room attendant if any members were around.  The reply was "Mr. XXXXXX, you are the first member here since last Sunday."  Different feel than I had playing munis in Queens 10 years before.

Thanks for a wonderful and brilliant dissection of the hole.  When did you caddy there?

Working backwards... We'll see after CoVid, but I have been making an occasional loop there right through 2019... but my first "stint" as an "appointment looper" was about 1988, when my Dad rented a garden apartment down the street on Anderson Hill.

Such was the low key, sparse usage that I had even played it before that time I looped on it... no one can believe it theses days, but the place was so empty that Sunday summer afternoons, I used to walk the 3/4 mile down Anderson Hill, through the supers yard and start play on the 12th tee. I did that enough times that I got to know the course before I was engaged to be a fill-in, caddie-by-appointment.

While seeing the preliminaries, I cannot wait to get down there this spring and see the flower of JC Urbina's recent renovation, which I can tell you in preview, seems to be wonderful...
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Gene Greco

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 11:33:50 PM »
V

Though a line of trees between the pond and the left side of the fairway was removed.

Thus, exposing the line off the tee for the aggressive player shown in your posted photo, correct?

GG

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

V. Kmetz

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 12:32:50 AM »
V

Though a line of trees between the pond and the left side of the fairway was removed.

Thus, exposing the line off the tee for the aggressive player shown in your posted photo, correct?

GG

For the most part yes... the four or five willows (?) partially obscured the green from view before they were removed (some years ago, now).  You could still see the extreme right of the green and most of the banking approach ground, but the presentation is untrammeled now.

Is that what you were verifying?
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

V. Kmetz

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 12:51:29 AM »
EDIT=== wrong thread

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back