News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

Sterling Hills, Camarillo, CA
« on: January 31, 2021, 11:23:33 AM »
So this was one of the courses that opened in the overbuilt, poor designs of the 1990s as part of a housing development in Camarillo. It is not too far away from Saticoy CC. I used to play it before Rustic Canyon opened and then you had a better choice than Sterling Hills. Sterling Hills does not resemble a Robert Muir Graves design. My favorite of his designs is La Purisima. 

So what happens when a course is 20 years old? Time to redesign it and put more houses on it. I will let Forrest Richardson let us know what the plan was going to be. I would guess that they would change the first hole to houses and build a first hole on the driving range that is between holes 1 and 9.

The City of Camarillo voted down the proposal, https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/communities/camarillo/2021/01/29/camarillo-city-council-denies-amendment-sterling-hills-development/4288113001/

Jeff Schley

Re: Sterling Hills, Camarillo, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 02:46:51 PM »
I played Sterling Hills several times after it was newly opened and I thought was a nice track and kept in great shape at the time, could get windy in the afternoon as well.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 07:47:17 PM »
We have a good plan. Yes, the range goes away and we creatively worked with five holes for a par 34+37 routing with six par-3s. To bad for this set-back. But I expect it to return. There is no path forward I can see with so much deferred maintenance. All existing homes were 200+/- from any new homes. The 79 new homes would have funded a remake plus a capital fund for the course 20 more years from now. 
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Scott Weersing

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »
We have a good plan. Yes, the range goes away and we creatively worked with five holes for a par 34+37 routing with six par-3s. To bad for this set-back. But I expect it to return. There is no path forward I can see with so much deferred maintenance. All existing homes were 200+/- from any new homes. The 79 new homes would have funded a remake plus a capital fund for the course 20 more years from now.

What are some examples of deferred maintenance at this course and other courses?

I think we are seeing many courses built in the 1995 to 2000 period who are now working on getting the course back to what the owners think it was. There are two examples here in Hampton Roads. VB National, the TPC designed by Pete Dye, redid all the bunkers a year ago and made many of them smaller and grassed in ones not in play. And Riverfront GC, designed by Tom Doak, is finishing up bunker renovation and removal. The bunker redo was probably funded by selling surplus property near the 18th hole for condos. 

How long will greens last if they are maintained properly? (There is probably a thread on this question)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 10:43:23 AM »
Scott — The deferred maintenance at Sterling Hills really has no limits. The irrigation system is all but past it's useful life. We expect the main lines and road crossings of the big pipe to be stable, but all of the spacing and controls are toast. Originally the full area to the back yards was watered, now the edges are not watered, so nothing "fits" anymore. Besides, we have no $$ to be watering wall-to-wall any longer...both water cost and power cost.

Bunkers: all need rebuilding.
Tees: all need leveling, with several new forward tees.
Turf rootzone: built up with salts and terrible drainage in places, so we need to deep core and bring in sand.
Cart paths: 15% need replacing due to poor compacting and cracking.
Trees: 20% in decline.
Greens: B+ w/ some drainage needed (fortunately still have lots of life left)
Lakes: all leaking w/ shoreline breaking
Landscaping: all but lost completely as they turned the water off in 2006-07 (this is the area from the roughs up to the backyards)

We estimated $3 million just to bring the existing course back to a sense of quality, perhaps an overall "B" grade. With the infusion of funding from the 79 lots, we would spend more and return to "A" grade.

As it stands, I would not be surprised if the current owner might sell, which is a concern of many residents because there is really no "good" buyer. It would either be a deep-pocketed developer who would simply "wait it out" or a "mom and pop" group who would simple try and hobble it along the way it is currently — with no real infusion of capital.

Sad bit about many residential golf assets from the 70s, 80s and 90s: They sold homes...ran away...and never thought to earmark even a small portion of HOA fees to a golf fund. At Sterling Hills — just as an example — if $30 per month of the HOA fees for the 300 homes had gone into a GOLF ACCOUNT, there would be >$2.5 million in the bank now — which could be used to refresh the course, in addition to whatever the golf owner contributes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:45:17 AM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Scott Weersing

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »

So what is the life span of an irrigation system? (Mike Nuzzo might know)

I thought 25 years but perhaps less if the water is hard (lots of stuff in the water).

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 01:11:26 PM »
In Southern Calif., back in the 1990s, we would have figured about 30 years. We are not convinced the SH system was installed all that reliably. Although we have the plans and it was designed well by a quality designer we have worked with for many years. Very often a developer will "low ball" the installation and cut corners. That's my suspicion, besides the need to adjust for coverage issues that we are now faced with resolving.

The ASGCA Life Cycle Chart is a good reference:

https://asgca.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/asgca-life-cycle_-_final_2014_cropped.pdf
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back