News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Pozaric

Re:Da man for the 3rd course in Bandon
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2003, 12:32:52 PM »
Just saw this on golfweek:
http://www.golfweek.com/articles/2003/business/news/34760.asp

Congrats to C&C.

Steve Pozaric
Steve Pozaric

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2021, 08:59:32 PM »
I said it before and I will say it again - No F'n way that C&C take this project!!

If that is the short list then it is between Smyers and Silva.

I was thinking about Trails, and this thread & quote came to mind.
It sure is funny looking back today.  ;D
I'd say the choice worked out very well for all the parties, except Wigler.
Peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2021, 09:08:12 PM »
I said it before and I will say it again - No F'n way that C&C take this project!!

Peace

Dave Wigler is now shorting Gamestop.

If the truth came out, was there ever a doubt that C&C was going to be the choice?

Ronald Montesano

Re: Da man for the 3rd course in Bandon
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2021, 09:29:48 PM »
Looking back, did Silva or Smyers (or anyone else) really have a ghost of a chance, knowing what MK knew about CC from Sand Hills?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2021, 01:50:46 AM »

Peace
That is funny Mike as some give opinions that are so definitive that it leaves them nowhere to go but face the music.

I recall when our HC at UCLA Bob Toledo was watching the introductory press conference of new USC HC Pete Carroll on the FB office lounge TV back in 2000 with a few assistants.  If you recall PC was not USC's first or second choice for that job at the time, having just fired Paul Hackett. PC was NOT viewed as a good hire at the time and was out of work actually when they hired him after swinging and missing on Dennis Erickson, Mike Bellotti, Mike Riley in addition to some others. The intro press conference was not the best as PC was his ADHD rambling self and didn't help himself in the media as it looked like he was all over the place.

I recall Coach Toledo saying to the effect, "Boy thank God we are coaching against this guy, huh? Is that anything to be afraid of? Garrett always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and he ends up with this guy?" After Coach Toledo walked away one of our assistants said, "well then he better beat his ass every year or we will be watching a press conference like this at UCLA."

Now hindsight is 20/20 and Coach Toledo couldn't have been more wrong obviously as he would be fired in less than 3 years and never beat Pete Carroll. However, in some environments people make predictions or give opinions that are less absolute (large or public gatherings) while at other times they are definitive proclamations. If you are going to be so confident, you better be right or admit you were very wrong. less you can lose credibility.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2021, 09:03:32 AM »
Looking back, did Silva or Smyers (or anyone else) really have a ghost of a chance, knowing what MK knew about CC from Sand Hills?

I doubt it, though interestingly, both Brian Silva and Bill Coore [according to Bill] lobbied Mike to build on the land that is now Old Macdonald, instead of the inland piece for Bandon Trails.

Stories like these are generated by (a) the developer, cashing in some free publicity based on idle speculation, or sometimes (b) an architect, cashing in some free publicity.  Even if they didn't get the job, they can claim they were on the short list for Mike Keiser!

mike_beene

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2021, 11:22:27 PM »
The Wright brothers Methodist bishop father said Man would never fly.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2021, 10:56:23 AM »
The Wright brothers Methodist bishop father said Man would never fly.

Not to place myself in the same high company as the good bishop, but I thought in public that Covid-19 and H1N1 would have similar impacts. 

Also, believed that Trinity Forest would disappoint.  After playing it some 10 times, it could very well be my personal favorite in Texas.

Didn't much care for Bandon Trails when I played it in one of "friends of Mike" (never met him) pre-opening outings.  Greens were stimping barely above 5' with 5 hour rounds for those at the end of the wave.  I've yet to shoot a good score on it, but now I am indifferent as to which course at Bandon they put me on (last time I played Trails three times with only a handful of groups on the property).

I should probably quit while I am ahead, but I think that the PGA Hanse course will be compelling.  Maybe you can come up when it opens on a coupon day.  We'll play the 4th set of tees at 6600 yards.

I miss David Wigler.  He was the first guy who told me that Whispering Pines was a consequential course in Texas and put it on Golfweek's radar.  That was well before the Dallas Morning News had it on its list.  David did have a contrarian impulse that tweaked some on the site.  His opinion of the beloved Rustic Canyon as being too easy rubbed the West Coast boys the wrong way.  I never held it against him that he attended Michigan.  As I recall, I conceded that it was a far better school academically than Ohio State, and he that we had the superior golf course.

SL_Solow

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2021, 11:22:52 AM »
I miss David as well.  Always thoughtful

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back