News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Dumbarnie: no Dumb Blondie...!
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 11:38:54 AM »
FBD -

Thanks again for the tour. How would you divide 10 rounds between Dumbarnie and Kingsbarns? (setting aside cost to play)

DT

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
They have their own beer?  :P

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 01:39:49 PM »
FBD -

Thanks again for the tour. How would you divide 10 rounds between Dumbarnie and Kingsbarns? (setting aside cost to play)

DT

David,
Very good question, actually. Give me time for one more play at Dumbarnie and I may have an answer!
A merry band of Scottish GCAers are booked for Sunday, 1st of November...
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Simon Holt

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 03:27:49 PM »
I've been lucky enough to play twice now and it's a lovely walk.

I liked the short-4s, 3 and 11.  I'd be excited to take on the hero shot there every time knowing there was a viable option if the wind was hard against.  I also really liked the 9th as the stand-out old school par 4, which arguably featured the most interesting green on the course.  I wish they’d taken more risks with one or two of the other greens, especially on the short par 3 8th which is a stunner but doesn’t play as challenging as I’d like for a wedge shot.  All that said, there is certainly enough variation to keep us all interested.
As Marty pointed out, the par 4 5th features the split fairway design but has a fairly makeable carry if you're playing off suitable tees for your ability.  I'm not sure why anyone playing off the correct box wouldn't just wail away over the bunkers.  If anything, the forward tees are the most challenging relative to the ability of the players from that box, meaning they pretty much have to go the long route from that angle.  From memory it was around 210yds carry off the 6500 tees to a wide fairway, with the carry proportionately ratcheted up the further back you go.
I preferred the riskier option on the par 5 15th as it did reward those who successfully took the right-hand side route with a shorter and indeed much better angle to the green.  I doubt anyone would go the longer left-hand route as a strategy, unless they didn’t fancy a medium to long carry with their second shot.  On reflection, I'm not convinced those split fairway holes truly work but I’m happy to be proven wrong.
Many of the high sides of the pot bunkers were away from the direction of play; in a way kidding you that the course featured really deep Scottish links bunkers when in fact when you were in them (not saying it was easy!) they weren't the hardest to recover from.  Perhaps no bad thing!  In the same sense, much like Doonbeg, you skirt the real dunes in the SSSI and see so much water you are happy to be taking a walk in what can feel like real dunes land.  The team have done a good job there and no doubt avoided a considerable planning headache.
As you can maybe see from the pictures, there was (I feel) a little overuse of rear bunkers.  Possibly to break up the mounds of fill, but given the amateur miss is short and the pros won’t be going that far over these huge greens, I doubt they'll get much action.  Perhaps when the stark white sand gets a little grubbier and matches the odd exposed patch of natural sand, the bunkers will fit into the surroundings better.
I feel sorry for the team and investors that they haven't had the big opening international season they would have wanted, but what has worked to their favour is all the Scots going to play the course.  The fairways, greens and surrounds are in superb condition and a true credit to the greens staff.  This has resulted in large percentage of golfers leaving saying it's one of the best courses they have ever played. And if we all like it……
Excellent putting surfaces, wide fairways and cracking views will win hearts time after time.  I'm sure the vast majority of visitors will leave very happy and that can only be a good thing for Fife/Scottish golf.

All that taken into consideration I'd have it at a Doak 6, which I guess means it doesn't quite touch the highs of KB, Castle Stuart, Trump Aberdeen or Renaissance but is still very much worth the play.  If you hadn’t played it before and are in St Andrews for a few days, it would be a shame not to head over.

PS.  Tried to modify spacing, but jeezo does my laptop not like GCA.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:37:44 PM by Simon Holt »
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

David Jones

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »
Great job Marty! You've really brought the holes alive and described them brilliantly.

I've played it twice now and enjoyed it thoroughly both times.

Make no mistake, this is crowd-pleasing stuff. Since the opening post lockdown in May there have been an incredible 12,000+ rounds - a very high percentage of them Scottish players at half price. As a result, almost everyone I know in East Lothian has played it. The reports back have been glowing. Everyone has tales of birdies made, exciting shots and marvellous conditions. While I totally take Simon's point of the dearth of international visitors being a shame, I suspect it has helped establish a reputation locally that may not have been possible in a normal year.

It's crowd pleasing because people will have fun here. It's a cliche, I know, but smiles will be firmly plastered on most faces. There are at least 3 reachable par 4s, depending on the wind, and the ball will often be funnelled to the green. There are decisions from the tee for sure, but rarely will the wrong choice leave you stymied. It's accessible golf in a glorious setting.

Personally I wish they hadn't been quite so keen to make every hole sit alone from the others. The chocolate drop dunes are a bit much, but as others have said here before they may soften over time and we shouldn't judge too early. It would also be fair to say there are few subtleties or nuances here. I played Prestwick and Dumbarnie on consecutive days and of course the contrast was significant but I expected nothing less.

I don't think it can be talked about in the same league as Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns. These are both top 100 in the world courses and I couldn't put Dumbarnie there. For me it is a top 20 in Scotland and I'd expect it to be land at the top end of the Western Gailes/Gullane/Nairn type range. I'd probably be 6/4 or 7/3 for Kingsbarns but this is a pretty impressive place to be.

It's resort golf, it's fun golf and I think those who are maybe a bit more architecture than experience-minded will mark it down a little. But as an addition to Scottish golf, it's very welcome.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 06:31:05 PM »
Can’t wait to see it.

For those expecting the shaping / mounds to soften, I wouldn’t hold your breath. What I would hope to happen is that the dune grasses will start to become more consistent in tone and texture which in turn will soften the look of the landscape. Looks like there are a lot of green broadleaves at the moment as a result of construction.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 03:42:54 AM »
Is there any thought that the severe mounds in the rough will be tough to cut and thus eventually covered in harsh rough?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
Thanks for the tour Marty. Well done.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back