News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Chilver-Stainer

History being made on PGA Tour?
« on: August 21, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »
With Scheffler in on 59 and Dustin  on -11 after 11, will this be a watershed moment for golf and golf courses?

JLahrman

Re: History being made on PGA Tour?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 04:57:07 PM »
Johnson has parred 12-16, hate to see a guy's game fall apart like that.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 04:08:46 AM »
Amazing gross scores (DJ 18th apart).
As I watched the 'birdies' and 'eagles' flow I started to ponder however about pro golf as entertainment as essentially I am watching to see shots hit and that the less shots hit the less entertainment.
Arnold or Seve or Tiger of Phil playing great shots from really awkward positions or down the lush middle, on the green and putt even if the latter results in an amazing gross score?
atb

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »
Amazing gross scores (DJ 18th apart).
As I watched the 'birdies' and 'eagles' flow I started to ponder however about pro golf as entertainment as essentially I am watching to see shots hit and that the less shots hit the less entertainment.
Arnold or Seve or Tiger of Phil playing great shots from really awkward positions or down the lush middle, on the green and putt even if the latter results in an amazing gross score?
atb

This is why I don't watch much golf.

The majors are always entertaining for multiple reasons, and certain other tournaments are somewhat enjoyable, but the rank and file events are mind-numbing. The courses are often set up (easier pin positions, etc.) to encourage birdies/eagles in the belief that lower scores makes it more exciting, but it has the opposite effect for me.

Watching someone hit in the fairway, hit it on the green, and putt for birdie on almost every hole is just boring.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
Wow DJ another eagle on 2. He is -24 with 16 holes to go. Chance to tie or break the PGA Tour record for under par for a tournament which I found was -31 by Ernie Els at the 2003 Mercedes at Kapalua. Keep in mind TPC Boston is par 71 also!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
The shocking part is, based on TV coverage and pics I've seen of the place, this does not seem like a particularity easy course, even by PGA Tour standards.  Lots of long 4s, some longer par 3s, with water in play near the greens and somewhat difficult recoveries around the greens if out of position.

For those who have played it did you find yourselves besting your handicap or going over?

P.S.  Looks like some long transitions on the front 9, are these guys getting shuttled?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:58:54 PM by Kalen Braley »

Peter Flory

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
I had that thought as well.  It doesn't look like a pushover.  Also, lots of strong players missed the cut without going low and Sheffler shoots 59 and is 2 over today.  It must just fit Dustin's eye. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
It’s fun to watch Kisner and W. Simpson get around playing a game that certainly is considerably different than most of the field. I loved seeing Kisner get it up and in with putter on 18. Congrats to Johnson for a great performance.

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »
Unless my math is off, Johnson could have shot 71 instead of 60 on Friday yet still have been in a playoff for the title.

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 10:13:01 PM »
zzzzzzz....
Don't look now but the Golden Goose has been killed.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 10:29:42 PM »
JL:
I have the same thought watching DJ as I used to have watching Norman -- how can someone that exceptionally talented not have won a dozen majors already?

Mike C:
When Norman dominated at Doral, part of the interest for me was that he'd tamed the Blue Monster. The interest does seem to have waned now that every second course looks like the Blue Monster, and can be 'tamed' by the 100th ranked player as easily/often as by one of the very best.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:39:46 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Pat Burke

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 11:07:58 PM »
While not being the favorite style of golf for architecture aficionados
Winged Foot (if not too soft )
Is going to be a tough test

Tight
No galleries to trample US Open rough
If they can keep the greens firm/hard it will be a bear

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 11:30:14 PM »

Mike C:
When Norman dominated at Doral, part of the interest for me was that he'd tamed the Blue Monster. The interest does seem to have waned now that every second course looks like the Blue Monster, and can be 'tamed' by the 100th ranked player as easily/often as by one of the very best.
Peter Palotta,

Virtuoso by Herbert Goldstone applies.   It's not supposed to be easy.

MCirba

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 12:06:52 PM »
Virtually every birdie-fest tournament now has the scintillating excitement of a re-run of the 1980s "Bob Hope Desert Classic".   

Valium is less effective inducing calm and drowsiness.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
It seems like DJ had such a good week all-around that it's probably something of an outlier, even for someone of his obvious ability. No one was going to beat him on any course as well as he played. Keep in mind that he would have won at -20, which is much closer to the scoring we're used to seeing.

While I think the hair-tearing would be more justified if, say, -24 had been a tie for 15th, it's still remarkable how receptive the greens were, given the strength of the drought in the Northeast leading up to the tournament. I assume that's because high speed (which makes courses easier for pros) took precedence over firmness (which makes them more challenging) in the setup.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back