News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Sad news in San Francisco
« on: November 08, 2003, 06:44:57 PM »
I was shocked and saddened to learn today of the passing of Rick Short on October 27. He was 57 years old and the victim of an aggressive cancer.

Rick was a fine golfer and a member of the Olympic Club for many, many years. He was an occasional GCA poster. I believe he may have had some sort of affiliation with Garden City GC, although I may be mistaken about that. I know he liked that course a great deal.

He and I were not close friends, but we shared a mutual interest in golf and the investment business. I would see him every month or two at the OC or in the Financial District downtown and he would always have time for a chat.

I very much appreciated that he was interested in my thoughts on golf, even though he was a far, far better golfer than I.  One of our last conversations was about Geoff Shackelford's recent book on the building/desgin of Rustic Canyon.  I know I will miss having those conversations with him.  

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Sad news in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 07:50:01 PM »
David,
Rick served as a mentor to my dear friend and compadre in arms, Gib Papazian.

I'm sorry I never got to meet him because Gib always had nothing but the best to say about him. The following was Rick's obituary that Gib placed in the San Francisco Chronicle. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here, but like anything Gib writes, it is from the heart and soul, yet gives all of the information in the most professional manner.

Donald Richard “Rick” Short - October 18, 1946 - October 27, 2003. Died in San Francisco after a battle with cancer. Born in Virginia, Rick was a graduate of University of Tennessee before moving to San Francisco in 1970.

Rick was a longtime member of the Olympic Club, pursuing a career as a securities trader at several firms in San Francisco. An excellent golfer all his life, he regularly competed in prestigious amateur events throughout the nation.

Known for his rapier wit and piercing intellect, Rick blended, with equal facility, a technicolor vocabulary punctuated with quotes from Herb Wind to Herman Melville. At once both charming and prickly, his unique presence and refreshing bluntness endeared him to a seemingly endless list of friends throughout America.

Clad in his familiar loafers, no socks and ever-present blazer with matching handkerchief, Rick was a frequent visitor to Postrio, after a daily steam bath at his beloved Olympic Club.

Often referring to himself by his childhood nickname of “Ziggy,” he was a talented and insightful stock trader with a rare acumen for anticipating the market. As the old saying goes, Rick Short was a piece of work. But most of all, he was a loyal and caring friend who battled illness to the bitter end and did not go quietly into the night.

Rick Short is survived by his stepmother, Sara Short of Germantown TN; a stepsister Judy Pegg of Memphis TN; an aunt, Mrs. William S. Smith, Jr. of Winston-Salem NC; Cousins Dabney Short of Chester VA, John Short of Dinwiddie County VA, Barbara McCants of Ft. Wayne IN and countless friends made on the links and through life.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 08:26:55 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 07:58:54 PM »
Tommy-

Thanks for posting that from the SF Chronicle. I read it earlier this afternoon on the SF Chronicle's website (www.sfgate.com).  I thought it captured the Rick Short I knew very well.  I was not aware Gip P. had written it. Now I am now not surprised at all to know that he did.

DT

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 08:08:26 PM »
I played with Rick once at Olympic with Gib. He was a great guy and a pleasure to trade wit and wisdom with during the day and for drinks afterward. I ran into him a few other times and he was always great company. He loved his Tenn Vols and I know he is looking down today with a big smile.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 11:14:36 PM »
This is really bad news. Rick called me less than a year ago, introduced himself to me, and we talked like best friends for about an hour. Golf was, of course, the subject matter.  We spoke of some of the tree issues at Olympic. He was also very interested in what was going on at Old Town since his aunt and uncle live in Winston-Salem. I am so sorry!

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 03:49:59 AM »
Ditto.

I didn't know Rick well but had several memorable conversations with him during my research/writing for The Missing Links.  Rick really knew golf and, from my perspective at least, seemed to know EVERYONE in golf.  He gave me several good leads and lots of encouragement, and I can only imagine how much he'll be missed by those closest to him.

Really a very memorable fellow.

DW

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 11:25:59 AM »
David,

I met Rick on the first tee at Newport, in a tournament.
His partner was a fellow that I had competed against for 30+ years.  After the introductions, I turned to my partner, a good friend of about 6 years and said, Tom, we're good friends but, if we lose this match, I'm going to re-evaluate our relationship.  We went on to win rather handily.  Rick and Tom and I got along fabulously.  Rick sent me a nice note a few days later.  Next year, at the dinner before the tournament, he approached me and asked how I was playing, and if we were going to drub him again.  I asked him, "who's your partner?"  When he mentioned that he had a new partner I indicated that we would be kinder and gentler adversaries.
He laughed and we had a great time.  Again, he sent me a nice note a few days later.

He contacted me several time regarding the superintendent search at OC and various other matters, and each time a nice note would follow.  He was a delightful fellow

I had him to GCGC and would run into him on a rare occassion.  He sure knew a lot of people in golf, and we shared many common acquaintances.

57 is far too young for anyone to lose their life, and a reminder to take care of your family, your business and then play as much golf as you can.

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 03:50:56 PM »
I had a long chat with Rick five months ago about books and golf. He was horrified to hear what the new head of Clock Tower Press was doing with the operation, and immediately set out to make calls to some fellow book lovers about buying the back catalog and regaining the character of the old Sleeping Bear Press years. He just wouldn't have it that someone could not see a way to do the kind of books we love. What sad news. He will be missed.

Evan_Green

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 10:23:03 PM »
I had the opportunity to play with him once at the O Club and he was one of the most gracious and enjoyable playing partners I have ever had. I am truly saddened to hear of his passing. I am sure he is playing 36 a day in heaven.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back