News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Interesting Read on the Human Brain and Landscapes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »
Interesting and thanks for sharing.  There were a few threads here very early about how golf holes sort of mimicked those mixes of open and covered spaces.  Instead of the Hobbit, they used Bambi, and "Head for the woods!"  I think it was called something like the hunter-refuge theory?  Basically, people like to be near cover, going back to the old hunting days, I guess.

There have also been many studies about what other kinds of spaces make people feel comfortable, and I believe one of the reasons for mounds around greens (or greens set in natural valleys or bowls) is that people prefer a semi enclosed space, sort of a corollary.  I recall one study about the street cafe's in Paris.  Put a table out near a sidewalk and people are uncomfortable.  A painted line of 6" curb make patrons feel they are in their own space, separate from passing pedestrians.  A 3 foot hedge does that even more, but a 6 foot hedge, cutting off the sight lines over does it and patrons are not that comfortable there.  They want to see what passes by, but also be separated from it a bit.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:52 AM »
Kyle -

Great minds think alike. Here's a thread on my infatuation with the Shinnecock Hills landscape - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44699.msg974927.html#msg974927

Ten years later I am more open to Bradley Anderson's suggestion that the creation and maintenance of Shinnecock is part of God's common grace.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 11:44:37 AM »
I have previously heard a similar theory employed to tell me that golf holes along marshes were not good, because people are wired to be uncomfortable with marshes, because of the potential for predators.  It seemed rather black and white at the time.

Hopefully they can come up with a quick way to measure lacunarity and apply it to golf courses to see if it agrees with what people consider to be great courses, before we just decide that it does and change great courses to satisfy the formula.

Also, I think Shinnecock's lacunarity score would be higher if they hadn't taken out so much of the shrubbery in the roughs!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:46:09 PM »
I know it's not in the realm of science, so this is not a criticism of the article: but the questions of *what* we're seeing, subjectively, and of what we're looking for and/or *want* to see often seem left unanswered in such theories. I read once that the Red Sea is so named because back when it was first named it actually looked red to be the people who named it. Our early ancestors wanted to see predators and prey; today, we go out to see "the beauty of Nature". With such different aims in our seeing, maybe the hows and whats of our seeing are also different than for our ancestors.

And maybe that's relevant to discussions here when folks say that all golf courses are 'artificial', by which they mean that there can't be 'naturalism' since there are no tees and greens etc in nature. But there can be, at least potentially -- because what we're looking for & *want to see* is different on a golf course is than it is during a hike in unspoiled nature. 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 01:26:13 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
Interesting Kyle. Makes me think about the Hobbit's use of NZ landscape and why maybe it is genius in popularity, or maybe how varied the ladnscape was in the Lion King and appearance in the good/bad areas.
Translating to golf courses not sure how we would apply it principles. What inferences do people suggest?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Emerson

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
I have previously heard a similar theory employed to tell me that golf holes along marshes were not good, because people are wired to be uncomfortable with marshes, because of the potential for predators. It seemed rather black and white at the time.

Hopefully they can come up with a quick way to measure lacunarity and apply it to golf courses to see if it agrees with what people consider to be great courses, before we just decide that it does and change great courses to satisfy the formula.

Also, I think Shinnecock's lacunarity score would be higher if they hadn't taken out so much of the shrubbery in the roughs!

Tom,
This is really strange to ponder, but I would tend agree with this statement to some degree.  Marsh holes, for me, just don’t invite the same neurological response as, say, ‘no marsh’ holes regardless of the actual quality of the hole.  Is there studies or articles you know of on this topic?  You got me wanting to go down a rabbit hole.  There’s definitely something to this I believe.  I do know that nature, in general, being in an arboretum for example, can stimulate dopamine and other positive neurological responses.  Negative responses to nature is more interesting though
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Troy Miller

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:36:58 PM »
Bob Cullen wrote about this on ‘Why Golf?’ citing our hunter gatherer roots as edge animals to relate to the appeal of a tree lined fairway - perhaps we have evolved to appreciate a more open landscape

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back