News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: 10 GB&I clubs to dream about
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2020, 04:25:29 AM »
If this winter is anything like last winter, God help you.
If the next winter is as wet as the last, God help us all.  We seem to be set in a pattern of  long wet, mild winters followed by long (very) dry, relatively warm springs.  I can't see that being good for golf courses.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 05:52:45 AM »
Complete agreement with Mark. Worth restating that during this particular winter over half of the golf courses in Wales were actually closed on St David's Day (March 1st) because of flooding, of various degrees of intensity. And then last week Porthcawl members were circulated with a very interesting and lengthy assessment of the malign impact of the spring 'drought' on summer playing conditions. Fortunately this weekend has given much of the UK (although not I think the SE corner?) some good soakings.

Many of my golf-dreams-turned-real have been on spring trips around the UK, ranging in date from mid-Feb to mid-April, and whilst we have had snow and hail and cold we have also had some truly dreamy days, including the above-mentioned first one at Muirfield back in 1997. But the general trend is absolutely as Mark describes, which may well impact trip planning in the years to come...

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 06:01:15 AM »
I am very happy doing winter tours, but I am very choosy about the courses and weather. I don't like traveling 4-5 hours to play in rain. Life is too short for that nonsense.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 06:15:58 AM »
Generally though, I agree with Dai. November usually (including last year) remains reasonably mild. It’s the rain and storms that become more unpredictable by that month.

If I had to choose one month above all others, I’d probably plump for September.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 03:04:07 PM »

Ally,

up here in the Highlands I would go for May or early June. Stable weather, quiet courses and long days 3am until 10pm is playable at the moment.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 04:51:06 PM »
Yes Jon,

The other advantage being that there’s usually not been enough growth for the rough to become lush.

Both sides of the summer beats July & August anyhow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back