News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Is there an electric finishing hole at Bandon Dunes?
« on: June 05, 2020, 12:02:55 AM »
Outside of the 13th at the Preserve, do all of the closing holes let us down, after what preceded? Or, a la the 18th at St. Andrews' Old Course, is their duty to carry us home, and nothing more?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Pete_Pittock

Re: Is there an electric finishing hole at Bandon Dunes?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 12:38:16 AM »
Pacific Dunes has a wonderful finisher. Then in descending order Bandon Trails (haven't played the renovation), Old Macdonald and Bandon Dunes. Don't remember ever making birdie at the Punchbowl.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 04:28:32 PM »
I love the finishers, with the exception of Bandon Dunes which has no charge.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
I really like the last hole at Pacific Dunes, it is just not the kind of hole one usually expects for the 18th.

The terrain for 18 at Old Macdonald was kind of dull, but I thought we made up for it with that green!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »
I really like the last hole at Pacific Dunes, it is just not the kind of hole one usually expects for the 18th.

The terrain for 18 at Old Macdonald was kind of dull, but I thought we made up for it with that green!

I agree. It is a fun, pick-your-point-of-entry green.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
How often, if ever, is the hole located on the left side?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ari Techner

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
Count me as a big fan of 18 Pacific Dunes.  I've always considered that one of my favorite finishing holes. 

Peter Flory

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »
I'd pick OM for my favorite finisher there.  But electric is a pretty high bar. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »
Count me in as well for Pac Dunes 18.  Thought it was one of the best holes on the course!

William_G

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »
no, all do a great job of getting back to the clubhouse
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:11:54 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »

So what hole should be the finisher?  Of course you would have to move the clubhouse or put in a road. Or just use a trailer for the check in.

Bandon Dunes 16 would be a interesting finisher with a chance to drive the green. No. 17 would then become no. 1.

Pacific Dunes 3 would be a good finisher, and you would start your round with no. 4.

Perhaps no. 15 at Old Mac would be an interesting finisher but no. 16 would be a tough first hole.

Bandon Trails no. 3 would be a good finisher as the back nine would now include,  13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 1, 2. It would be fun to play 18 and then 1 and 2 in the dunes. I did start at round at Trails on no. 7 after a frost delay.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 01:14:42 PM »
I'm thinking Pac Dunes #13 would be a helluva finisher, given its usually the most photographed hole on the course, and could have a clubhouse right there on the bluff overlooking the pacific. (Old Mac would have ended up a bit different in that spot)

Although 14 and 15 wouldn't be an ideal start....

David Wuthrich

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
I like all of the finishing holes at the resort.  My order would be PD, OM, SR, BT and BD.

Alex Miller

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »
With the exception of Sheep Ranch and it's use of Five Mile Point, all the coastal properties (courses) at Bandon sort of resemble the golden ratio rectangle (1:1.6 east-west:north-south). Besides that human brains are programmed to think this is a more ideal shape there are a number of reasons the properties are shaped this way:

• Mike Keiser knew that there would be multiple courses and didn't want to chew up all of the coastline in one go
  • Lodging was built in fairly close proximity to the Lodge, which would not have been feasible with more coastal clubhouses
  • Infrastructure, which is close to flawless and makes the resort experience as top notch as it is, would not be what it is today with coastal finishes
  • A coastal clubhouse/finish means that there is great golf land adjacent to the coast that would be chewed up by buildings etc.

Personally, I don't think any of the finishers are in the top half of holes on their respective courses (haven't played SR yet). But they're probably better courses for it. I am dying to get back up there!

Keith Phillips

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 02:51:15 PM »
I love Pacific Dunes (and the others) but am 0-for-2 on 18.  Missed left both times by a small margin and couldn't find either ball - DNF x2 so possibly my least favorite of the holes there.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »
I love Pacific Dunes (and the others) but am 0-for-2 on 18.  Missed left both times by a small margin and couldn't find either ball - DNF x2 so possibly my least favorite of the holes there.

It finished you 😉

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 03:33:58 PM »

My two visits to Bandon have both been in March, and both times with only winter wind. So for Pacific Dunes I only know holes like #12 and #13 playing downwind, and holes like #4, #14, and #18 dead into the wind. So when I think of #18 I think of me being tired and having to hit 8 shots to get to the green.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 03:39:10 PM »
I imagine that, unlike at 18 hole clubs/resorts, the finishing holes here don't need to make you happy or bring you back again -- because you're there and aren't going anywhere, and you're already as happy as a grown man is likely to ever be!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back