News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Thousand Islands Golf - What's the History?
« on: March 03, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
In college a group of us would trek up to the Thousand Islands after finals were over for a bit of consequence free getaway time.  Its a magical place, with the ghosts of a foregone era of wooden boats and cliff-hugging mansions lingering just around the next turn.  Plus, I love anywhere where the primary mode of transportation is on water.

I've never played golf in the area, but the question of the history of the Thousand Islands CC was posed to me recently making me realize I have more questions than answers on the courses and clubs around Wellesley Island.  Today there are two courses on the island, that being the Wellesley Island Golf Course and the Thousand Island CC.

A quick breakdown of what I have:

Columbian GC, Round Island Club and St. Lawrence Park GC - Noted in the 1900 and 1901 Harper's Reports.  The 1900 Harper's notes the clubs were organized in 1899.

New Frontenac GC aka Frontenac GC - Laid out by Willie Dunn in 1899.

Aug. 20, 1899 New York Tribune

Sept. 1899 Golf Magazine

Harper's 1900

Thousand Islands Yacht Club - Noted as a 9 hole course with a date of organization of 1894 (probably the club, not the course) in the 1901 Harper's Report.

Thousand Islands Club aka Thousand Islands CC - The course first appears in the 1916 Annual Guide, with a date of 1906 and a note that the second 9 holes was being completed.  William Watson came through in 1913 to make improvements, and some sources credit him with the original design.  The club dates itself back to 1894, suggesting that this was originally the Yacht Club noted above. This is the course that Seth Raynor is given credit for in 1922-23.

Aug. 17, 1913 Syracuse Herald

1920 The Golfers Magazine

Thousand Islands Park GC  - Noted in the Annual Guides from 1920 on as a 9 hole course with a date of organization ranging from 1915 to 1918.

Wellesley Island Club aka Frank Lowden Private Course - Noted only in the 1923 Annual Guide as an 18 hole course.  See the Aug. 17, 1913 Syracuse Herald article above noting William Watson getting the course ready.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Thousand Islands Golf - What's the History?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
A 1922 article from the Syracuse Herald said this about the Thousand Islands Park GC:   "The club  was formed  by residents of  the Park in the fall  of 1916.  Realizing  the need  for a good vacation course, the  late  Thomas  Crary,    Binghamton,  with a  few  other men, raised  a subscrlption after canvassing  the  Immediate  vicinity of the Thousand    Island region.  E. T.  Shepard,  Oneida, then  president  of  the  Thousand   Island   Park   association,  leased  several  acres  of  land  on  the  east  side  of  the  Park   and  a  golf architect  from  Chicago  laid  out  the  course.   It  was  built the same  fall and play began during  the summer of 1917.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:12:26 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
Very interesting.  My grandparents had a cottage nearby in Clayton, NY, so I spent a good amount of time in the area growing up.  I remember the TI Club being something of the gold standard in the area, which isn't saying much at all.  In Clayton, there is a little 9-hole courses, and a rugged 18-holer.  Going to the TI Club was sort of a big deal, as you were going to play a somewhat more legitimate golf course.

It's been probably almost 20 years since I've played it, but I remember the course being decent, but not great.  Lots of wide open holes on the front.  The back nine was more wooded and had some tight holes that struggled with conditioning, probably due to awful sunlight and air flow.  The course was sort of fun if you were in the area and needed a course to play, but I wouldn't go out of my way to check it out.

With that said, I had no idea there were "real" golden age architects responsible for it.  That's pretty cool, but I still don't know that I'd feel the need to play it again.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
A.B. Raynor might be the architect!

"Evangelist of Golf" has Thousand Island as a Raynor design built by Banks. The article is from the the Aug. 4, 1922 edition of the Watertown (N.Y.) Times. If this was a Raynor layout and Banks built it, that would have had to have been late 1925 at the earliest. Looking at what aerials and photos I could find, I don't seen any Raynor there but that does not mean it wasn't his routing.

AP

John Emerson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 11:08:49 PM »
I have a picture of the clubhouse at lawrence park gc.  Anyone interested?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:43:56 PM »
How did these courses compare to Cataraqui, across the border in Kingston, ON which is a Stanley Thompson design from 1931?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
I have a picture of the clubhouse at lawrence park gc.  Anyone interested?

Love to see it.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
Back in the 60's I played up there, in the "north country", where there were some beautiful elms on the course.  I remember the routing on the back nine, especially how the trees - which were beautifully trimmed - self made the architecture, but these elms were suffering from "Dutch Elm" disease, and were being cut down, so the disease wouldn't spread to other locations.

Sort of interesting that "redesign" doesn't include possible disease factors.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back