News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWL

Re:Unconfirmed News: Doak to replace Nicklaus at new course next to NGLA
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2003, 03:34:53 PM »
Tiger,
Without addressing the subject matter that initiated this conversation, let me give you some information that might dispel some of the assumptions that you have made, probably as a result of things you have read.
First of all, the idea that JN is partially responsible for "runaway costs".   The truth is that JN is very, very conscious of construction costs and he consistently tries to keep the costs at a minimum while producing the best course for a particular site.   Some are more costly than others.   Jack rarely makes any demands on a developer to spend $$ on flashy amenities, ie waterfalls, bulkheading, earthmoving etc.  A prime example of this is at the Pronghorn project in Oregon where two new courses are/have been constructed/designed by JN and another architect.   Investigate the amount of earthmoving for each course and you will find that JN, being conscious of cost, designed a course that required 1/5th the amount of earthwork initially.
JN will make suggestions about design enhancements, like sand quality, stream development etc, that he will leave to the budget and discretion of the developer.   He doesn't demand such by any stretch of the imagination.   Because developers are generally selling golf related real estate, they will make a value calculation and determine the extent of the amenities and often decide to spend the $$$$ for the sake of the project, not because JN had demanded it, as so many want to think.
Now it may be true that the JN design fee may relate to what you feel escalates costs.   But you must realize that most of JN designs are real estate related and JN's fee is part of the overall marketing package, and according to Barrons, is worth the $$$ spent.   That is why you find so much repeat work from the same developers of high end real estate and resorts.
For this very reason I must differ with your conclusion that JN has had the best sites.    While it is true that JN has had many excellent sites, to my knowledge he has never had a site of the likes of Sand Hills, Friar Head, Bandon or Pacific Dunes.  The reason why, I believe, is because his courses are generally part of the real estate development or resort package.   To my knowledge, in 20 years, JNhas not had the opportunity to work on a totally sand based site with the native cool season grasses, that is what makes the above sites so special.   So, I disagree that JN has had even the same opportunity that other architects have had to work on this type of site where real estate was not the priority and driving force for the development.   I am also quite sure that should he be given that opportunity,  the resulting course would not be disappointing.  
The courses that you are probably most familiar with of JN's are probably in the south or west where bermuda grass is the dominant grass.   As you know, it is very difficult, if not impossilbe, to create a course with this grass type and soil condition, that will rival those found in sand belts and cool season, prarie type grasses.   Just the comparison of C and C's work at Barton Creek and Friars Head , and how they are received should be an accurate example of this dilemna.
Thanks for letting me clear up what I believe a real misconception of JN's work.
GEAUX TIGERS!!! ;D

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2003, 03:50:28 PM »
Jim Lipe,

Thanks for your post. I hope it demonstrates that people in the industry can meaningfully contribute to our dialogue, especially when posting under their own name.

Jeff Kitchen:

I don't want to comment on the subject that started this thread, but will point out it is not unusual for more than one architect to prepare routing plans for a site.
Tim Weiman

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2003, 07:05:15 PM »
Jim, ty for you detailed response. Naturally, I did not mean for this to become a Jack N discussion. I do agree that many of the costs that I am talking about could be part of the promotion of a major real estate project. I am certainly not putting Jack's shop in the same class as the Tour boys. I also agree there are probably some that are as high or higher. However, I do think in general Jack is way on the high side on cost per hole evaluation to the extent there are quantifiable comparisons. This post started from a rumor therefore there is a greater than 80% chance he will get a chance to prove me wrong right here. I still feel notwithstanding your detailed and knowledgable response that Jack's shop has generally picked his jobs over his career. Also because of his well deserved and earned reputation at the top of his profession(s), attention is drawn to him that others would not get. I do believe that men such as yourself, Doak and others deserve shots at great sites to make your mark in your profession. Doak was Doak before Pacific Dunes, yet now he has a much better situation IMHO to get desirable projects to work on.

Sebonac

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2003, 01:16:41 PM »
I would be interested in hearing about the Nicklaus routing that was seen....

Sandman

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2003, 01:42:42 PM »
You say that the property is of great "pedigree"?  Please explain what you mean by this and what are the attributes that give this this property such a great "pedigree".  I am somewhat familiar with this piece of land but am curious as to YOUR thoughts.   I hope that it is more than JUST being near a couple of great courses.  

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2003, 01:53:34 PM »
JWL,

Nicklaus Design developed a course at the Pinehills, in Plymouth MA, with Jack Jr. as the architect.  This is exactly what you describe; a real estate development deal.  It happens to be on sandy soil.

I enjoy the course very much, and the conditions are always excellent.  However, it is not dramatic, overly imaginitive, or daring.  It's just a very nice golf course.

The interesting part will be some time next year, when the Coore & Crenshaw course (Olde Sandwich) opens up next door.  Based on the two C&C courses I have played (Cuscowill and Kapalua), I am guessing that C&C will make something more interesting out of adjacent property.

I'm not bashing Nicklaus; I have enjoyed every Nicklaus course I have ever played, and conditions are uniformly excellent.  But I would sell one of my livers to be a member at Olde Sandwiche Linkse!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 01:54:41 PM by Martin Del Vecchio (InterMurph) »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2003, 02:17:56 PM »
Martin,

Is the C&C course to be a private, member course, or a real estate development ?

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2003, 02:34:14 PM »
It's going to be private, and I hear from a Pinehills resident extremely expensive.  When someone asked if the initiation fee would be $100,000, he said "higher."  

larry_munger

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2003, 02:49:11 PM »
Martin, I have 2 kidneys but only one liver, how bout you? :)

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2003, 03:00:35 PM »
Like Homer J. Simpson, I believe that I have two.

Broker:  Homer, you knuckle-beak, I told you a hundred times: you've got to sell your pumpkin futures before Halloween!  Before!

Homer:  All right, let's not panic: I'll make the money back by selling one of my livers.  I can get by with one.

jeff kitchen

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2003, 09:20:22 PM »
I would be interested in hearing about the Nicklaus routing that was seen....

As I said, I was snooping  :)

I couldn't see it very well, but the piece of land has water pretty much all around it, so the views must be amazing assuming that there is some degree of elevation on the property.

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2003, 11:05:01 AM »
Bull! The evidence of the true love that exists on Golfclubatlas is a good example of that famous line from "Goodbye Columbus";

"True love is when you never have to say you're sorry!"

If Andy was wrong he shouldn't have to apologize to anyone on here and if he turns out to be right nobody should have to apologize to him for anything they said to him either.

Maybe Golfclubatlas.com wants to be and needs to be the modern day Internet version of Walter Winchell or Jack Anderson or even Hedda Hopper.

On Golfclubatlas.com disagreement, fussin' and fightin' should be in the very same boat as agreement, consensus, respect and love. All that is is Golfclubatlas.com's version of "good dynamics!

If somebody occasionally crosses that line like the dimwit rpurd then our owner/moderator/administrator Ran Morrissett can take care of it however he wants to!

;)

rgkeller

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2003, 11:10:59 AM »
Gods never apologize.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2003, 11:40:05 AM »
TEPaul,
Bull! The evidence of the true love that exists on Golfclubatlas is a good example of that famous line from "Goodbye Columbus";

"True love is when you never have to say you're sorry!"

Once again, you don't have your facts right  ;D

"Goodbye Columbus" was the adaptation of the Roth novel, and Mountain Ridge was allegedly the golf club involved.

The line you quote, is from "Love Story" which I believe was the adaptation of the Fromm or Segal novel.

"Love is never having to say you're sorry" is the quote.

"True Love" is from the "Princess Bride"

First, you get it all wrong about architecture, and now you're getting it all wrong about, books, movies and quotes.
That's why you need to keep me around, to perpetually correct you.  ;D

P.S.  Will I see you next saturday ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 11:41:27 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2003, 11:49:32 AM »
If this rumor is true, isn't it amazing how far Herr Doak will have come?

Isn't he hated because of his exposure of the mediocrity?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2003, 11:51:21 AM »
Pat Mucci:

It is completely off the subject of Bayberry or golf architecture, but.........it was Erich Segal, one of my former professors, who wrote Love Story. Segal actually was a professor of classics, i.e., ancient Roman and Greek history. He taught at Yale and Princeton, where he served as assistant professor to the legendary Roman history Professor Frank Bourne - a man so loved by all that even the female students loved him despite his openly stated oppositon to coeducation. Segal was a character because of all the attention Love Story got, but he couldn't compete with Bourne, something I think he actually liked because it diverted attention away from the Love Story thing.
Tim Weiman

TEPaul

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2003, 12:05:22 PM »
Patrick:

You're absolutely right--I did get a lot of "facts" wrong about that movie or book quote. That's what you're good at, though, things like movies! That only means to me that you should spend more time on movie discussion groups where you know something and less time on golf architecture discussion groups where what you know has lugubriously reached an accuracy level of no more than about 4% to date. But you're right, I shouldn't hold that against you and in a true egalitarian spirit when I see remarks from you like;

"That's why you need to keep me around, to perpetually correct you",

again you're only partially right. I certainly should keep you around but not to correct me but to teach you more as you do unfortunately, have a long long way to go!  ;)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2003, 07:55:38 PM »
It's amazing how I start a topic about this new course and Mr. Doak is nice enough to respond to it and then there is all this rumor about Nicklaus and Doak a day after the topic is posted.  Something isn't right.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

JBStansell

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2003, 08:21:08 PM »
Mr. Camel03,

This thread started a good two weeks before you raised the same subject in the thread you started yesterday.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back