News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Andriole

Les Aisses
« on: August 29, 2021, 11:21:48 AM »
Participants in this forum seek to experience the best golf architecture and in order to do so travel far and wide. As an addicted itinerant golfer I can attest to the joy and accomplishment of running off to the latest/greatest course. I have been privileged to make many such pilgrimages and recently ventured to the Loire Valley to experience Les Bordes, specifically the New course created by Gil Hanse. It did not disappoint and imho will settle comfortable into top 100 lists and provides a wonderful contrast to the existing Old course.
Often on these journeys one ventures off the track for non golf activities and occasionally to sample lesser known golf venues. Such was the case this past week when I played a round at Les Aisses with the very hospitable and passionate couple that owns the heathland gem.  Alfred and Amelie Seydoux love the property and are coaxing out of it the best golf possible and that is golf of very high quality. It's a superb routing on a huge property with hectare after hectare of vibrant heather - four varieties that create both beauty and strategy. While heather is the course's main feature there are 100 well-designed, well-placed bunkers to create more options and a bit of fear. The green complexes are appropriately sized and are nicely varied and contoured. The owners are actively tweaking the property for the better.
While it's great to see a well-known course there is an added joy in stumbling onto something unexpected that delivers so much. Visiting a place like Les Aisses validates one's wanderlust. While this brief may make it a little better known to some who venture that way - I hope that it will cause a least a few to pop in there as I'm sure they will be as delighted as I.
Full disclosure requires me to acknowledge Christian Faergemann who introduced me to Les Aisses.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 11:40:43 AM by Joe Andriole »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Les Aisses
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »
I love Les Aisses. Alfred's surname, btw, is Seydoux. He is a cousin of the actress Lea Seydoux, who starred in the movie Blue is the Warmest Colour a few years ago and then went on to be a Bond girl in Spectre.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 06:56:25 AM »
Alfred was kind enough to host me and a few of the guys who were working at Les Bordes. We left extremely jealous of all their heather! I was also exhausted after doing battle with those very hard to escape fairway bunkers!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back