News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

Re: GCA.com's own index of course tours, courtesy of Dave Harshbarger ...
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 10:51:39 AM »
The map doesn't seem to work for me. When I hit view it goes back to dates and archies filters.

Happy Hockey

Also, the filters are subtractive (so to speak).  When you uncheck a box, all of the matching points disappear. And if there are no matching points to plot, the map section doesn't display (not even a blank map).

So, make sure (All) is selected for Architects and Year. 

If you want to see only courses in a certain year: leave the Architect (All) selected, uncheck Year (All), then check the specific years you want to see.

Likewise to see all of the courses by an architect, make sure the Year (All) is selected, then unselect the Architect (All), then select the specific architect check boxes. 

In each of these scenarios, when you uncheck (All), the map area will go blank.  When you then start checking specific boxes the map will re-draw, and do so with a focus that captures only the selected courses.

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David Harshbarger

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 11:32:19 AM »
I enabled a filter by name option.  Just enter part of the name, hit <enter>, and you'll see a drop down you can select matching records from.

If you use this, note that the name of the course will appear below the text entry.  You'll need to "x" out the course name later to clear the filter.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David Harshbarger

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 08:04:23 PM »
Very fine Dave, thank you.  I have looked at this map several times over the years.

One way to improve it is to have the name of the tour/course pop up when the mouse is hovered over the dot.

Ciao

It *should* do this now, Mr. A.!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »
Thoughts on this error message?

support.google.com
[/size][/color]
refused to connect.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 10:30:06 AM »
The link in the Best Of Golf section of this website no longer seems to link to Dave’s (new) map.
Atb

David Harshbarger

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »
Thoughts on this error message?

support.google.com
refused to connect.

[size=78%]The old map page is dead dead dead.  Google killed it (and all of the similar visualizations built on their "Fusion Tables" platform).  [/size]

I sent a note to Ran to let him know.

I replaced that implementation with this one:  https://public.tableau.com/profile/david.harshbarger#!/vizhome/GolfClubAtlas-TourMap/Sheet1?publish=yes

If you got that error with the new version, send me a PM and I'll dig into it in more detail.  The new version doesn't rely on Google (except for the link I added to bring up the google map view on the course location.)

David Harshbarger

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »
The link in the Best Of Golf section of this website no longer seems to link to Dave’s (new) map.
Atb

I sent a note to Ran regarding the old map's page on this site and that thanks to google, it's dead.

The new version of the map is here: https://public.tableau.com/profile/david.harshbarger#!/vizhome/GolfClubAtlas-TourMap/Sheet1?publish=yes

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
Thanks Dave for a wonderful resource.  And it is making it easier to identify my course photo tours where links are broken when a previous server I was using was shut down.

And for those following this thread, if you find a tour of mine with broken links, please alert me with a PM.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Harshbarger

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
Thanks to Mr. Arble's urging I have updated this resource with the reviews he has submitted lo! these many years.  What a fantastic resource Sean is to capturing the and highlighting the many fine courses dotting the British Isles. 

As this stands at the moment, there are:

• [size=78%]1334 locations mapped[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]1924 linked articles and threads on gca.com[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]44 [/size]locations attributed (rightly or not) to Alister MacKenzie[size=78%]
  • [/size]105 locations attributed (rightly or not, in part or in whole) to Donald Ross[size=78%]
  • [/size]16 locations attributed to prolific, if not preeminent, Tom Bendelow[size=78%]
[/size]As always, I am amazed at the generosity of the many contributors to this DG who take the time to snap pics, type prose, and share their insights and love of the courses they play.  Without them there wouldn't be a point to this exercise. [size=78%]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back