News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erich Jr.

Home Course vs. World 100
« on: October 31, 2003, 01:20:07 PM »
Which would you choose:  

To choose whatever golf course you would like as your home course and be able to play it to your hearts content.  

Or:

Play all of the World 100 courses once.

JDoyle

Re:Home Course vs. World 100
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 01:46:00 PM »
For years Hugh Grant was in a serious relationship with Elizabeth Hurley, one of the most beautiful women in the world.  He should have been blissfully happy.  But instead, he ended up on the Tonight Show explaining to Jay Leno and the rest of the world why he preferred to hire a LA streetwalker and left Elizabeth home channel surfing.  

I would take one round at each of the top 100.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 02:05:32 PM »
NGLA

or

Cypress Point Club

or

Pine Valley

= one very happy camper.  To cheat I would play lots of other great courses that don't make the world top 100.

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 02:13:32 PM »
Messrs. Doyle and Childs each make great points here.

In the end, I'd have to go with GC.  I do prefer variety, but there are so many great courses that don't fall in the world top 100, that I'd be very content playing most of my golf at Sand Hills, CPC, NGLA or one of many others I might choose, then take trips to play many other non-Top 100 courses also.

A tougher question (for me and GC anyway) is if you require that the one course we choose must comprise ALL of our golf...

In that case, no matter how great these are, I'd have to go with the other side, just using the Hugh Grant reasoning.  ;)

TH

David Wigler

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 04:04:51 PM »
I would give up playing and ranking courses tomorrow and swear off ever playing another top 100 to get to play CPC to my hearts content.  (PS - And if any members are reading this and need to know how to reach me, the IM feature on GCA works wonderfully  :))
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 04:12:07 PM »
Damn fine choice, DW.  For variety, you'd have to forego Pebble, Spyglass, Pasa, SFGC, Olympic Lake, but MPCC/Poppy Hills/Bayonet/Olympic Ocean/Stanford/ + many others would keep you nice and occupied.

That is, if you ever felt like leaving CPC.  I believe it would be pretty tough to get tired of.

TH

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 04:12:11 PM »
Never mind playing one course ad infinitum - I'd play CPC #15 over and over and over and over and over and over again until I (or my caddy) drops dead......(see other thread where I have declared my undying love for this hole...)

Martin.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 04:16:03 PM »
In that case, no matter how great these are, I'd have to go with the other side, just using the Hugh Grant reasoning.  ;)

At least in Hugh's case, I don't think "reasoning" has anything to do with it.

As for me: One-round stands are not very satisfying.

Give me ... the course of my choice, over and over and over again.

Naturally, to make that choice, I'd first have to play each of the World 100 .... at least once.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 04:31:14 PM »

Give me ... the course of my choice, over and over and over again.

I can agree with Dan as just the concept of playing golf again and again is somewhat hard to fathom ... ;)

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

marker

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 04:38:52 PM »
mr huckaby
you can get tired of anything.  one single course whenever you want, only?  even the old course eventually would leave you wanting for more, but it would allow you more total rounds.  do the math.

but the other choice is only once at each of the top 100?  which top 100?  and why only once?

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 04:59:19 PM »
would the question change if you selected a single course and had to live and work within a 15 mile radius of the course, and do all your socializing within that area?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back