News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Mavros

FDR in Philadelphia is closing 10/31/19
« on: July 11, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »

Citing frequent flooding and unprofitability, the City has decided to close operations.  It will be turned into public park space. 

When I lived in the city and was starting out at the game, I went to FDR a lot.  A nice practice area, affordable golf and nearby, it was a good place to go for a lot of people.  Admittedly I have not been there in years, but am still sad to see it closing.  Maybe I'll get there for one last round for old time sake. 

Joe Bausch

Re: FDR in Philadelphia is closing 10/31/19
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »
The last of the Eddie Clarey courses to close up shop.   :-*
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »
Always sad to see another one go.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »
 My son in law is upset. He lives in South Philly and plays there.
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
That is a shame, some local colorful characters there.

Rated it a few years ago and found some interesting Philly trivia. Why is one 9 two feet higher than the other 9???
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
Rated it a few years ago and found some interesting Philly trivia. Why is one 9 two feet higher than the other 9???

Anything to do with the Navy Yard?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
Always seemed to be land better suited to another purpose.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 01:37:43 PM »

Close Matt, think public transportation.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 03:56:32 PM »
A large gathering of GolfClubAtlasers on Halloween at FDR, with a Mummers Parade flair, would be sublime.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bob Harris

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 06:11:18 PM »

Close Matt, think public transportation.
When they were digging the tunnels for the Broad Street Subway, all the fill was dumped at FDR Park.

Ed, you missed a good rating today, Country CLub of Scranton.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:13:13 PM by Bob Harris »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »
Have you seen what's become of the NLE Valley Forge GC in the last 5 years.    I much preferred the old golf course.

(IMHO, it's way overbuilt and has a lot of the type of stores that may well go kaput in a recession.   Lots of apartments and condos - No idea where these people are coming from, but there sure are a lot of them there!)

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 11:53:07 PM »
I live in South Philly.  Several of my friends and I will head there at night just to bang beat up range balls or play an emergency nine.

What is most upsetting is certainly not the loss of the course, f/k/a League Island GC (h/t Joe Bausch).  It is the fact that the First Tee has a strong presence there, with camps running all summer and on weekends.  Rather than make a buck or two on eBay, I actually just donated a full set of Mizuno MP-30s three weeks ago.  The guy in the First Tee building who took them was very appreciative and told me he would give them to a kid to keep as a set.

I imagine most of the First Tee will be moved to Walnut Lane and other locations, but they already have a building there with indoor putting greens, simulators, etc.

WilliamN

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
Have you seen what's become of the NLE Valley Forge GC in the last 5 years.    I much preferred the old golf course.

(IMHO, it's way overbuilt and has a lot of the type of stores that may well go kaput in a recession.   Lots of apartments and condos - No idea where these people are coming from, but there sure are a lot of them there!)

I loved that place.  I had no idea what I was doing at the time, but played many a round there in college and post college.  Scored my first Eagle on that course as well.  That being said, the land was far too valuable there for it to remain a $20 / round public course.  In some ways, it's current overbuilt monstrosity kept the course open for an extra 5-10 years as the developers had to go through hoops to get approval for their plan versus something less "ambitious"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back