News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: OT -Can you wear a mock shirt like Tiger wore at most clubs?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
There is a trend at most private clubs to relax a bit on the dress code issue - especially with denim.
If you want new young members, you had better pay attention. Clubs want revenue, not excuses from new members and guests why they seek food and beverage elsewhere.

The mock turtle...?...yea, you can wear it. But, as I said before, you may get heckled.
Plus, the pro will know you sure didnt buy it in his shop!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »
Safe to say..

These guys would be downright mortified/outraged by any current dress code standard, even at today's most conservative clubs. Funny how its always relative/changing, but we always seem to forget...

Greg Smith

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2019, 04:08:22 PM »
Man, I have really wanted to show up for a hoot at one of these charity scrambles dressed up in full Vardon 1900 style!   I think the clothes might even be do-able... but there's no way I could be looking like that and NOT have old hickory clubs.  I don't have THAT kind of change, to say nothing of actually being able to hit them!

Or maybe I should dress up as Ted Ray circa 1913.  At least I've got the height and gut size for that.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »
When did plus fours become the standard attire on golf courses, or did that not happen in Scotland?  That photo from the late 19th century does not include anyone in plus fours.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 03:42:05 PM »
Mike Cirba is right - arcane golf club rules are for the birds, especially at public courses (privates can do whatever they like).

I remember playing at Bulle Rock - a guy is a single and you can tell he's thrilled to be playing.   Problem is that he has jeans on, and the pro shop staff treated him like dirt.   Completely embarrassed the guy.      It was really stupid business move on the staff's part - I can only imagine how many people heard about how poorly this customer was treated.   

As far as privates go, they obviously have every right to set any rules they'd like.   But if they want to attract members under 35, they best learn to change with the times.    Heck - no clubs have clothing rules that were in place in 1935, do they?   

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:48:42 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
The country-club rules are the least of it... Any chubby white guy buying a Nike mock-turtleneck hoping to look like Tiger will instead achieve the appearance of the Senior Counselor from that summer spent at Bible Study Camp.

This is similar to the phenomenon that took over every airport in the US a couple of years ago, when the same people wear bought 'Beats by Dre' headphones expecting to look like LeBron James getting off a private charter flight.

Yet somehow they reminded everyone of Cameron Diaz' brother in Something About Mary.
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back