News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Sayre

Advice for East Lothian travel
« on: December 30, 2018, 06:12:11 PM »
This ground has undoubtedly been plowed many times, but your advice would be welcome.

Our East Lothian itinerary for June, 2019 includes North Berwick x 2, Gullane 1, Luftness, and possibly Muirfield.

4 days to fill.  Could you Scotland golf travelers (or you locals) please offer your guidance? Architectural interest and club atmosphere of far more importance than, say, championship length.

Thanks!

Tom_Doak

Re: Advice for East Lothian travel
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
This ground has undoubtedly been plowed many times, but your advice would be welcome.

Our East Lothian itinerary for June, 2019 includes North Berwick x 2, Gullane 1, Luftness, and possibly Muirfield.

4 days to fill.  Could you Scotland golf travelers (or you locals) please offer your guidance? Architectural interest and club atmosphere of far more importance than, say, championship length.

Thanks!

"Club atmosphere" is an interesting notion here, as I have been to all these courses multiple times [well, Luffness only once], and none of the experience [except at Muirfield, when playing with a member] was about the club atmosphere at all.  Visitors don't interact with the members very much at these clubs.

I don't know that I would cut out anything you are suggesting, but if you have time for one more, Kilspindie is a very fun course you can play in 2.5 hours.

Sean_A

Re: Advice for East Lothian travel New
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »

Thanks!

Steve

The itinerary looks fine.  You can't cover all the worthwhile stuff in four days so don't sweat it too much.  You will get some good club atmosphere at Luffness (if you bring jacket & tie) and Gullane (or at least this used to be the case).  If Muirfield falls through and you want another game try Dunbar or maybe Kilspindie.

Happy New Year
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:27:27 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
It’s extremely modest of Doak not to mention Renaissance, but you really should try to see it!
 ;D

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
It’s extremely modest of Doak not to mention Renaissance, but you really should try to see it!
 ;D

F.

Marty:

If I'd recommended The Renaissance Club then I would be obliged to help him get on there, which isn't easy   ;)

Happy Hogmanay!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »
 ;D

F.

Marty:

If I'd recommended The Renaissance Club then I would be obliged to help him get on there, which isn't easy   ;)

Happy Hogmanay!

And a very happy Hogmanay to you too, Tom!
And to all our GCA chums, a happy Hogmanay from Scotland. For Auld Lang Syne, indeed!
F.

PS For those who partake, be sure and have a wee dram of a good malt in memory of our dearly departed brethren. Sláinte!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:43:05 PM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

James Brown

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:11:33 PM »
+1 on Dunbar.

Add on Gullane if you’re gonna stay in that area. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 02:37:03 AM »
I read the OP as suggesting that Steve wants suggestions for 4 more days golf.  If so, I might make the drive south of the border (just!) to Goswick.  In East Lothian, Tom has mentioned Kilspindie and Sean Dunbar, both of which are well worth a visit.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Steve Sayre

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I did mean we have 4 additional open days as Mark says, although that isn't at all clear from my original post.

So we will add Dunbar, Gullane 2 and maybe 3, add Kilspindle and maybe Londniddry.

Renaissance Club would be a bonus; they have something called the One Time Experience which I will check out this week. I am guessing $$$$. But, hey, it's a Doak 7.

I was thinking of taking the train down to London for a couple of days before we depart the Isles. Has anyone ever tried interrupting the journey with a stop in York and a transfer to Ganton, or a stop in Leeds for Alwoodley?  It seems logistically ambitious, but the golf is enticing....

Travel planning is such a great distraction from the grey winter skies.

Michael Graham

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
Steve,

I would make sure you play Gullane 3 before 2. It’s a lot more fun than 2 with more interesting greens.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
Steve--

Be sure to book dinner at Osteria in N Berwick.  Fabulous Italian food.

Best and Happy New Year
Paul

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »
I had read the original post wrong, too.

If you've got that many more days, consider adding The Glen - aka the East Links at North Berwick.  It is not an architecturally great course, but it's not as bad as some say, and it's one of the most beautiful courses in Scotland.

And if you have some free time on a nice day, climb the North Berwick Law!  I did it with my son when he was about ten; it's not as strenuous as it looks.

Brian Finn

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »
I'm going to be staying 8-10 days in East Lothian next September.  After receiving quite a bit of input and guidance from various sources, we have settled on the following lineup so far:

Musselburgh Old
Kilspindie
Luffness New
Gullane 1, 2, 3
North Berwick (2+ rounds)
Goswick (2 rounds)
Muirfield (2 rounds)
Dunbar
The Glen

One of the guys in our group has a Renaissance connection, so we are hoping to add that.  Also hoping to add Longniddry, if possible, but trying to leave room to replay one or two courses where we currently have only one rounds booked.

We've opted not to play at Archerfield or Craigielaw on this trip, although I have heard nice things about both. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:37:52 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Daryl David

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »
Steve,

I would make sure you play Gullane 3 before 2. It’s a lot more fun than 2 with more interesting greens.

+1

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
Steve--
Be sure to book dinner at Osteria in N Berwick.  Fabulous Italian food.

Best and Happy New Year

Paul

Or Ducks Inn in Aberlady. 

Michael Graham

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »
I'm going to be staying 8-10 days in East Lothian next September.  After receiving quite a bit of input and guidance from various sources, we have settled on the following lineup so far:

Musselburgh Old
Kilspindie
Luffness New
Gullane 1, 2, 3
North Berwick (2+ rounds)
Goswick (2 rounds)
Muirfield (2 rounds)
Dunbar
The Glen

One of the guys in our group has a Renaissance connection, so we are hoping to add that.  Also hoping to add Longniddry, if possible, but trying to leave room to replay one or two courses where we currently have only one rounds booked.

We've opted not to play at Archerfield or Craigielaw on this trip, although I have heard nice things about both.

Brian,

Good shout on Longniddry. Most visitors bypass it but it’s worth a play if in the area with a space on your itinerary. Look forward to catching you when you get get to East Lothian.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »
Longniddry, Dunbar, The Glen(I enjoyed it a lot) and Kilspindie(great fun) would fit the bill.

If adding Renaissance(although hearing the word "Experience" make me want to throw up in my mouth) Kilspindie would be a nice second round of the day
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:36:21 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
I'm delighted to hear some nice words being said about the Glen. It's been too long since I played it, and this thread is a reminder that it's high time I got back there.

Niall

Simon Holt

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »
Kilspindie, Dunbar and Longniddry in that order will give you plenty of enjoyment both on and off the course. 

Having a pint outside Kilspindie clubhouse as balls on 18 come towards you is pretty special.

Stay in North Berwick if you haven't already booked hotels, then you can take the train into Edinburgh whenever you like.

Osteria the place to eat.

Herringbone the place to drink and good casual food.

Lots of other food and drink in the surrounding towns too.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back