News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Events at your club
« on: December 23, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
I recently played with a friend at his club. I looked at the golf schedule for the year on the bulletin board. In June the club has 8 events (6 of them outings) when the course is closed for member play. Some are outings on Mondays, but some are on weekends and Fridays. Is this a portent of things to come when clubs are having trouble paying the bills? I can't imagine what the conditioning could be in the summer with divots and ball marks everywhere.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

BHoover

Re: Events at your club
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 01:52:34 PM »
My current course, which is owned and operated by a corporate management company, does this, but not just on days when the club is closed. There were several days this summer when outside events were held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Combined with dreadful summer weather in the mid-Atlantic, the outside events did not any favors for course conditions. But it’s all about squeezing every last dollar out of a corporate asset.

I suspect this will become more common.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 02:38:56 PM »
Only Monday outings at my club from Memorial Day (end of May) through Labor Day (1st weekend in Sept.).  A member can sponsor an outing up to 40 golfers I think outside of June, July, August as long as he is paying on his account and accompanying the group.  There is some other restriction about the tee off time as well, but don't know it as I have never done it.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »
We do them every day. Keeps the annual fees half price. Less than 1% of our members would pay double.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »
Tommy,  We are more old school.  Except for an occasional competition  sponsored by the CDGA only outside groups sponsored by a member are allowed and only on Mondays.  Requests must be approved by both the Board and our Superintendent.  As a result we usually have no more than 1 per month.

Steve Sayre

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
Tee times reserved for member + guest(s) play, and days or half days set aside for outside play (outings) are increasing at many even very private clubs. 

The revenues from guest fees and outing charges can obviously be quite significant. At "name" clubs, the demand for access is fairly price inelastic, and charges will creep up steadily.

Food and beverage charges and pro shop merchandise sales associated with outside play are also welcome revenue "boosters".

The perennial battle to limit member dues increases, and even help fund capital projects, is the driving force.  The background noise you hear is the sound of teeth-gnashing by those who want unrestricted access to their first tee seven days a week, all season long.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:33:18 PM by Steve Sayre »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
Other than the most exclusive clubs, what private club doesn’t do this? I’ve been at my club for 28 years and we’ve always done it. Every club in my town does it.

Glad they do it in Ireland or I wouldn’t have been able to play some amazing courses.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Other than the most exclusive clubs, what private club doesn’t do this? I’ve been at my club for 28 years and we’ve always done it. Every club in my town does it.

Glad they do it in Ireland or I wouldn’t have been able to play some amazing courses.

My question isn't whether or not to have outings but how many are too many?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 08:05:14 PM »

My question isn't whether or not to have outings but how many are too many?

We have 6 to 8 Monday outings a summer at my club
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back