News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

San Domenico, Puglia, Italy -- any intel?
« on: September 26, 2018, 01:32:46 AM »
I don't suppose any of our brethren can shed any light on European Golf Design's San Dominico course near Bari on Italy's Adriatic coast?

Is it worth seeking out if you were spending a week or so in the region?

It doesn't appear to have been mentioned on the site before.

Thanks in advance if you're able to assist.

Matt Day

Re: San Domenico, Puglia, Italy -- any intel?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:41:36 AM »

Scott
Can't you give info on the course but my best friend comes from a small town called Conversano which is about 30km from Bari. Beautiful part of the world with amazing food but very dry, I'm amazed that they have a golf course there.

I'd rather explore the area and eat/drink than play golf. Places like Alberobello, Monopoli, Castellana, Polignano and Putignano are worth visiting

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:02:00 AM »
Thanks Matt. We have four nights each in Otranto and Polignano a Mare with a 4WD so we can go explore and find deserted beaches and the like.

Golf in a new country is rarely a wasted experience, but you’d want the course to offer at least a couple of really memorable holes for the effort of a half day out and (I assume) a fairly high green fee.

Matt Day

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:23:43 AM »
I can ask about great places to eat/see, golf is not a game well known in Puglia though  :)

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:36:18 AM by David_Tepper »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 04:57:04 AM »
Hope we can catch up Scott.

As you drive south from Bari the road passes close the sea and for a good few miles there was a ribbon of what seemed like virgin linksland.  Dunes and a light covering of not too coarse, green grass (IN October).  I leave it to you to work out how to design the world’s first Out and Out course – it’s that narrow.

Sadly, I also remember when we pulled into a secluded part to have a closer look there were some tourists waiting for the Police as their car had been broken into while they were exploring the beach. As usual take care not leave exposed valuables. I believe they were off the same plane as us and their bags were on the back seat.

Happily, I urge you to try and find the following. On our first night in the local Pizza restaurant we saw another table receive a basic pizza base cooked only with crude chunks of ham on it. At the table the waiter poured a stream of (unsweetened) cream on to it. Intrigued we went back the next night to try it for ourselves and back for seconds on our last night!

Enjoy the trip.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 08:15:07 AM »
Thanks for that, Tony. That pizza sounds... intriguing. And if you ate it twice, I’m sure I can try it once!

Will be in London for a few days as well (trip is May/June 2019) so definitely keen to catch up. It’s been way too long.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
Ahem?
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 04:01:04 AM »
The European Challenge Tour used to play their season finale there, so it's not of the "short and tricky" variety. Still, I liked it enough to play a couple of rounds there during a vacation a few years ago. Here's my review:

http://www.mayring.de/albums/San_Domenico.html

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back