News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Durrant

Le Golf National (Albatros)
« on: November 02, 2005, 05:41:47 PM »
I ventured out to play Le Golf National south of Paris, HQ of French golf and home of L'Open de France. The course is the product of a partnership between Chesneau and Von Hagge.

Peering over the fence, this photograph may well show the terrain as it existed before the golf course...it's so flat that an aerodrome still exists down the road.

Given such terrain, it appears that lakes were dug and a manufactured dunescape created. This results in the opening and closing holes playing round the lakes
and the middle holes playing through the dunes, a hotpotch of styles, half penal lakeland golf and the other in the style of a seaside links.

Hopefully, one manages to warm up on the range as the opening holes require carries over water - this approach to the 1st

And just a light carry of 190 yards to the flag on the par 3 2nd:

Out to the middle holes:

The 3rd green with desert-island-tree bunker:

Use of huge "waste area sand hazards" running through the rough (not to my taste):

At the 6th hole, one almost feels as though one is on a links:

The picturesque long par 3 8th:

With raised green and sentinel bunker in front:

Another links pop-up green at the 9th:

On the back nine, this bunker guards the short line into the par 5:

Another par 4 is more parkland with this approach across the pond:

And so to the famous finish. 15 is a par 4 with second shot across the lake. An odd hole which requires a lay-up of the tee.

16 is another penal water carry par 3:

To 18, a par 5, where the crowds gather during the Open. This hole plays short, with a birdie quite possible with an aggressive drive and a short iron second to the island green.
 Topped off with an uninspiring backdrop of hotel and clubhouse buildings.

However, disaster beckons anything but a sound shot and it makes for a great matchplay hole to finish.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 05:47:12 PM by Keith Durrant »

Evan_Green

Re:Le Golf National (Albatros)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 09:08:36 PM »
Keith

Thank you for posting these pictures.

It was an enoyable round of golf, but I have to say it was the ABSOLUTELY best lunch I have ever had at a golf course. We stopped after 9 holes and gorged ourselves for well over an hour with course after course. I could hardly get out of my seat, let alone swing the club on the back 9.

The French sure know how to eat!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:43:34 AM »
Great pictures - you have managed to make some of it look remarkably attractive!  No doubt others will have negative things to say about it, or that this or that could have been better done in some other way, but it's a better use of that piece of uninteresting land than growing some useless crop just to get an EU grant for its planting and subsequent destruction.

RT

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 11:09:41 AM »
Much of the fill, if I understand well, came from the bowels of Paris.  Perhaps KBM or Rick Baril could verify.

RT

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 11:24:40 AM »
Much of the fill, if I understand well, came from the bowels of Paris. RT

RT

PR is obviously not your forte........ :o

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 12:46:24 PM »
Keith,
You picked a great day for National, rainy days can be pretty miserable there, the fairways recuperate all the run-off from the artificial mounding, hence very soggy turf. It looks like you had some wind, this enhances the links feel on a few of the better holes.

I disliked National until the day I played there, watching the Open from the stadium mounding is very deceiving. The perspectives and playing angles are interesting once down at playing level. I particularly like holes 6, 7 & 8, unfairly overshadowed by 15, 18, etc. As you mentioned, I found the course a bit of a mixed-bag of styles which confuses my general view.

I'm interested to know the level of input from Van Hagge at National, consultant or designer ? Anyone ?

From what I remember, the huge amounts of fill came from the nearby construction/extension of the impressive Renault factory (this may explain some of the drainage problems).

All in all, it's certainly different given the environment, and definitely worth a play at €45 on a week day.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »
It can be difficult to judge a course on one round. It was a fun round of golf, the sun shone and there was a 1.5 club wind - Playing in the wind is always fun and the links overtones of some of the holes shone through. It also played firm-ish.

On reflection though, i think the course lacks strategic options. Most of the hazards are very penal in placement and nature.

If the objective of the course is literally to make a 'splash' for the TV audience in the Open de France, then it does its job.

I wonder if the water holes and the links holes are designed by the same person though? Perhaps some were done by Chesneau and the others by Von Hagge?

Stuart, have you played l'Aigle course there? It seemed to be busier than l'Albatros.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 04:33:50 PM by Keith Durrant »

Rick Baril

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 12:30:38 PM »
Thanks Keith for the great pictures.  It’s been more than 10 years since I have seen the course.  So, it’s interesting to see how it is maturing.

The Golf National is a long story and there has already been much written about its genesis and the “collaboration”.  

Golf National was the brainchild of Hubert Chesneau (FFG director of development at the time).  He found the land and put the project together.  As observed, the site was pathetically flat.  Hubert, being Architect, was aware of the need for a “land fill” Southwest of Paris.  He cleverly proposed making Golf National a “land fill” which subsidized the construction.  (Underneath those “dunes” you will find concrete, tires, steel, stone and all manner of debris.)

We were asked by Claude Roger Cartier (then, president of the FFG) to provide design expertise for the Albatross, the first stadium style golf course in France.  (Hard to believe this was 18 years ago.)

We were given a preliminary routing, which we felt needed to be improved.  Since the golf course was intended to be the permanent home of the French Open, we felt the routing (especially the final holes) needed to be distinctive.  We rerouted the course.  Our routing featured, what I affectionately term, “The Gauntlet” – the final four holes.  We envisioned this as a cauldron of activity and emotion – where players and spectators would witness and feel the “final act”.  

The (Albatross) design was a collaboration.  We routed the course and established the tactical design and strategy.  Mr. Chesneau was the sole designer of the other courses.      

If you wanted to make a comparison (to see the difference between Golf National “collaboration” and a vHS&B design) you could also play Golf de Courson-Montloup (36 holes).  It is located less than 20 km from Golf National and it was built about the same time.  Of course, the terrain is different and the concept is different but it may still be an interesting architectural comparison/study.

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 04:18:40 PM »
Keith,
I'm yet to play L'Aigle course, I think it gets busy thanks to knock-down prices and a popular golf academy. Rick has a good point about Courson, we should go there sometime.

Rick,
Thanks for the info on National, it all seems so much clearer now, a combination of media & rumours has resulted in several different versions concerning the collaboration.

I've been to Courson some 5 years ago and remember lots of movement, particularly the trade mark mounding. Am I right in saying that Courson has less penal features than National ? The greens were certainly more tortured at Courson. In the last couple of years, Courson has regained a good reputation thanks to vast improvements in playing conditions.

Were you involved with les Bordes ?
That was a luxury to have such a huge, and good site for only 18 holes. There, you definitely see a toning down of dramatic earthworks. I feel the course has a good balance between artificial creations and use of the surrounding landscape. Water was maybe a little overdone IMO, but many love it. Despite the long walks, each hole is discovered with impatience. I think this is thanks to hole exclusivity rather than flow of routing, but it is very enjoyable.

Rick Baril

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »
Keith,
I had to smile when I read your “media & rumors” comment.  This file (which is significant) is labeled, “No good deed goes unpunished”.

Courson – You make good observations about the features and greens.  I feel Courson has more “sophisticated” greens.  They allow more ground game but you can also “hide” pins and encourage players to place a premium on position and approach angles.  I am glad to hear the maintenance has improved.  I’ve always felt it was underrated.  But, isn’t this always the case, when you spill a little blood.  If you do play, I would be interested in your comparison between this and Golf National.

I’ve been the “executive” (whatever that means) architect for all our projects in Europe, including Les Bordes.  (That’s why I can act like I know so much. :))

Les Bordes exists in a beautiful landscape.  But, as you may know, this area (Sologne) was a swamp within the last century.  Therefore, the soil there is “special” (as the French would say).

Most people don’t realize it but Les Bordes was originally planned as a 36 hole course.  We started construction on the 18 holes that impacted the trees the least – as the clearing permit was not secured.  The intention was to build the second 18 after the first course was open.  After we opened the course, Baron Bich decided he liked the course just as it was – and shelved any plans for the second course.  So, what you see today is a mix of holes from the two planned courses – and consequently some longer walks between holes.  (Perhaps it will be interesting to know that later Baron Bich decided to build Ganay on another part of his property, to quell comments about Les Bordes being a difficult course to play.)

The site was flat and the soils were heavy clay and seemed to never dry.  Consequently, we had to build up every part of the course. Problem was, we couldn’t clear any land to mine material outside the golf course.  The lakes, at 17 tee and beyond #9 landing area, were excavated on treeless land that isn’t (supposed to be) in play, expressly to generate more fill material.  

More stories than I have time to write.  Hope this was interesting and answers some of your questions.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 05:24:10 PM »
Rick & Stuart, many thanks for posting the tidbits on Courson and Les Bordes.

I did like the artificial mounding on Golf National, to the point where one almost didnt realise it was artificial
- perhaps because so much gorse-like bush and seaside grasses have been grown over the top.

Courson looks even better (I do like the look of those grass bunkers):

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 05:24:51 PM by Keith Durrant »

Steve Okula

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »
Since I saw Courson four years ago, I wondered if all those bunkers were meant to be grassed, or was it a way to economize on maintenance? They appeared to be built for sand, but when I visited the greens staff in August they told me they had a total crew of nine to take car of 27 holes, with four people there that week due to summer vacations, leaving not much time to rake bunkers.

Vive la France.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Rick Baril

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 10:41:48 AM »
Steve, there is a plethera of grass bunkers and a nominal amount of sand bunkers, which was the intent.  They may have converted some of the sand bunkers over the years.  But, there really were not that many sand bunkers in the original design.  

Going in, we anticipated the maintenance at Courson might be nomimal at best.  However, the reality invariably exceeds our expectations.  This is especially true in France where labor laws make it difficult.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
It's great to get inside information.  Give us more!

Thomas Dai

Re: Le Golf National (Albatros)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »
This is a very old thread but the French Open has been played on this course almost every year for a long time now and the Ryder Cup is due to be held here in 2018.

Now I've not been there, only seen it on TV, so my question is, what do those who've played or visited Le Golf National (Albatros) think of the course?

ATB

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:33 AM »
Thomas - I saw it under the very first stages of construction, so can't comment personally. I know the tours pro love it and many think it is the best golf course they play on the European tour. I suspect that wont be the GCA opine, though I think even the diehards here will politely knowledge that is one of the best 'faux' golf courses in Europe.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Steve Okula

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »

I have also heard that the Tour pros love the course, though I haven't polled them myself. For myself, I hate the long, forced carries over water on the first two holes and more water to carry on three of the last four holes. I understand the need for waterways to facilitate drainage, but they don’t always have to be in the direct line of play.

I understand that Golf National (Albatross) will be undergoing some significant renovation work between now and the Ryder Cup event in 2018.

There is a new greenkeeper, Alejandro Reyes, a young Spaniard from the Nicklaus project, Polaris World in Murcia, Spain. In 2013, they began an intensive five year sand topdressing program on the fairways in order to smooth and firm them and help with the drainage.

I believe that European Golf Design has been retained for renovation work, including a wall-to-wall drainage system, renovated bunkers, added tees, and a completely new irrigation system, all to be accomplished in the next year or two.

The merits of  course architecture aside, what Golf National has in spades is infrastructure, probably the best of any golf course in France. There are extensive practice facilities, with a huge driving range, and plenty of space around for tent cities and parking. Golf National actually has 45 holes, so there’s room to spare. It offers easy access to main highway arteries, it’s only 30 minutes from Orly airport and the same to the city, and no more than an hour to Charles DeGaulle airport. There is a large four star hotel on site, even if it is something of an eyesore, and it has ample conferences, banquet rooms, bars and restaurants.  From a purely practical standpoint, it’s as good a site as you can hope for. Further, they have years of experience hosting the French Open, one of the larger events on the European Tour calendar.

Again, rumours say they, (the French Golf Federation, the French government, the European Tour, and perhaps other interested parties) are investing several million in the golf course, and much more than that on infrastructure in preparation for the Ryder Cup,

The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Frank Pont

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 04:00:00 AM »
The tour pros love it because they feel it keeps them on their toes during the whole round, shot by shot.

I thought it was a well designed course, somewhat lacking in variety and with very artificial shaping. But it is a rollercoaster ride and I got killed by it in a period i was on top of my game, very penal!

My French partner has played it multiple times and really likes it from a playing point of view, but then he is a better player than I am. Maybe he can expand?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 05:20:31 AM »
Bumping this old thread purely because the French Open, being held on this course this week, is currently on TV so those who don't know much about the course that is also due to hold the Ryder Cup in 2018 may get an inkling as to what it's like from their TV set.

atb

PS - the original thread and accompanying photos are 9 yrs old

Patrice Boissonnas

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
Not much time right now for sharing in depth views about Albatross but it surely is one of the greatest test from tee to green.
Tee shots are simply hyper demanding. Heaven and hell are sometimes just 10 meters apart.
Yes you have to be a good player to enjoy the course as it was always intended to be.
It's pretty one dimensional off the tee but less so when approaching the greens.
It's not  a course you would want to play everyday but once in a while it's good to check how good your game is and you can't lie on Albatross.
I understand people who reject the course but not so many modern courses in France have been built with such ambition and skill. For that only, I will always respect it.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
I've watched some of today's action and have watched previous French Opens. It is a great spectating course and provides fantastic drama. It should be one of the best Ryder Cup courses ever, just so much fun to watch how the pros hover between birdie and double. As Tour venues go, this is one of the best.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Keith Durrant

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
Watching the Ryder Cup on TV reminded me of this old thread with some interesting comments on the design. I presume the course has evolved and changed in advance of the Ryder Cup - has it improved? I'm sure it's no longer 45 EUR green fee!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 12:27:23 PM »
It's producing one heck of a tournament. So did umpteen encounters at The Belfry. Was that, therefore, a bad course?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back