News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Good on ya, Ben
« on: September 10, 2018, 01:37:41 AM »
I am in Hawaii and played today. My caddie has a golf crazy six year old. He is good as well. Ben Crenshaw was in the area and met this youngster. He spent a half an hour with the young boy on the putting green. When his Dad and the little one were leaving, Ben asked, "Would you like to play nine?" The answer of course was "Yes." Neither Dad nor son will forget that kindness. Neither will I. Good on ya, Ben.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Kiely

Re: Good on ya, Ben
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 01:48:14 AM »
Yeah, he'll definitely remember that because I still remember an interaction with Ben about 25 years ago at an L.A. Open practice round. It started raining really hard so my friend and I were waiting it out near the clubhouse at Riviera when Ben Crenshaw walked by said, "How's it going, boys?" Most athletes/celebrities aren't the ones initiating the conversation with fans, but I always appreciated that small gesture from Mr. Crenshaw.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:53:28 AM »
As has been used many times, class is hard to define, but you know it when you see it.  Ben Crenshaw is certainly class.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:32:09 AM »
I used to assert, with great confidence, that Bill Coore was the nicest man I'd ever met. Then I met Ben, and I lost a bit of my confidence.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

JC Urbina

Re: Good on ya, Ben New
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »
Tommy,

Your story could be told several times over and for several different reasons. I have been very lucky to have enjoyed conversations with both Bill and Ben,  I have to say Ben, is one of the nicest people on the planet.

I was at the Masters recenty and with the help of his long time caddie at Augusta, Carl Jackson, played a joke on Ben.  I introduced myself to Carl as he was walking out of the clubhouse, I asked Carl if he had seen Ben, he responded that he would be coming along shortly. Sure enough, here comes Ben with  several people in tow wanting a photo with Ben or a signed autograph.

I told Carl  that I would ask Ben to take a photo of Carl and myself when he got within in range, Carl just laughed.  As Ben got closer I said Sir, Sir, could you take a photo of Carl and I, you know he is a very famous caddie at Augusta,  Without even blinking Ben grabbed my camera and fumbled around with it and said sure, happy to do that and said yes, " he is a very famous caddie".  People were standing there shocked that I asked Ben Crenshaw to take a photo without him in it.  Of course I was in disguise, golf cap low on my face and sunglasses on, Ben at first had no idea who I was but was energetic to take a photo for me because I asked.

I removed my hat and sunglasses and Ben started laughing, Carl and I started laughing and the people standing around us realized it was a joke.  But you see, Ben was more then happy enough to help out a fan, to enjoy the moment and to share his kindness because that is what Ben would do.  We spent several minutes talking afterwards all the while Ben still chuckling that I pulled a prank on him.

How I wish everyone in the golf business could be like Ben and for that matter Bill Coore.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:17:19 AM by JC Urbina »

archie_struthers

Re: Good on ya, Ben New
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
 :D ;)

Caddied for Ben at PV many times in my youth . As good or better person than advertised !

One day shot 86 with a bunch of one putts ....the next 68    Same disposition both days.  Now that’s hard to do and telling.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:49:13 AM by archie_struthers »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »
 :)
Thanks for sharing.
Brought a smile to my face.
There's a line: "What a man is able to see and hear has a lot to do with where he's standing, but it has even more to do with the kind of man that he is".  I'm thinking there must be a gca equivalent, for these to nice people, Bill and Ben.
Maybe they moved so little earth around at SH because it would've been rude, to the earth!
When you're a nice person, that would be reason enough

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back