News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

OT: Have You Heard of Golf's Great Moral Quandry?
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
It's the Club Championship and you and your opponent are tied on the final tee...

You bury it down the middle leaving a wedge in... He slices into the virgin woods on the right...

You assist him in an allout search...two minutes...three minutes...four minutes...

He says, "Go and play yours, I'll keep looking..."

You take aim and strike your approach nicely...

As it lands on the green and stops 12 feet from the pin, you hear...

"I found it!"...turning to see him about to play a clear shot along the edge of the woods...

He hits stony; a certain birdie tap-in

NOW... HERE'S THE QUANDRY:

Do you tell the cheating bastard that his ball is in your pocket?
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

JMEvensky

Re: OT: Have You Heard of Golf's Great Moral Quandry?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
Depends--was he playing a Penfold heart and have Oddjob caddying for him?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
Lol - that was no quandry for Bond... it was a quandry for Goldfinger
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
Love this! ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
What would be the ruling if this actually took place and right after the 'second cheater'  had hit his shot close to the pin, the 'first cheater' was so enraged he blurts out that he picked up his ball?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
Thank goodness these guys are only doing minor infractions like picking up a competitors ball or pocket-dropping a 2nd ball and claiming its your first.

If either one of these guys had struck their ball while moving, then this would not be funny....at all!!  ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »
Isn’t there a story about Bernard Darwin thumping a cheat in the locker room after a match?
Atb

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
Ah, a sad say for ethical philosophers and golf traditionalists both when a cravenly *practical* choice is elevated to the status of *moral* quandary!

That said, I'd lie and say I picked up the cheater's ball only *after* he claimed to find it/hit it. That way I might still win the hole! 

(I think Capt Kirk once got the highest marks ever in an un-winnable Academy combat simulation by changing the rules)

B.Ross

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 03:29:26 PM »
in all seriousness, what's the ruling here?
i think in match play, the guy who picked up the ball would lose the hole b/c that infraction came first.

in medal play, i think it would be a pair of 2 stroke penalties but for different reasons.

anyone know for sure?

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
i think in match play, the guy who picked up the ball would lose the hole b/c that infraction came first.

in medal play, i think it would be a pair of 2 stroke penalties but for different reasons.

anyone know for sure?

Double DQ
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 04:46:31 PM »

anyone know for sure?

Double DQ
So whoever wins the 3rd place match is club champ? 

Might be some interesting encounters in the clubhouse over the next several months.   

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
Ah, a sad say for ethical philosophers and golf traditionalists both when a cravenly *practical* choice is elevated to the status of *moral* quandary!

That said, I'd lie and say I picked up the cheater's ball only *after* he claimed to find it/hit it. That way I might still win the hole! 

(I think Capt Kirk once got the highest marks ever in an un-winnable Academy combat simulation by changing the rules)

Ah, the Kobayashi Maru!
Kirk   At   His    Absolute    Finest.....
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 01:42:34 AM »
The great golf moral quandry occurred twice in Metro-NY many years apart . Both intances involved players with serious playing resumes from years earlier.  The first instance involved a pull cut over a semi-blind area, and the second involved a push hook on the 8th at Maidstone during the Member-Guest.  Technically, since the tee shot was holed out for an ace the hole was completed!  Unfortunately for the cheater, the opponent was the one pulling the ace out of the hole while the dropped ball resided somewhere on the green after a lob shot!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 05:29:22 PM »
Sounds like a double douche-bag quandry at a club where integrity matters not... ;D
Same two guys travel with a "4 index" and shoot 69s at member/guests. Except when they drop large coin to enter a ProAm and show up as card-carrying 7s.

DQ them both and ban then from the tourney for a year.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 10:50:25 PM »
Yes, both should be disqualified and the tournament concludes without a winner unless the committee decides otherwise--they could have defeated semifinalists play for the championship.

I'd concede without a winner forever memorializing the actions of the cheaters :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »
Not to be a stickler...

But the quandry isn't what the organizers should do, its what you should do after picking up his ball.....

I'm going to go with, hope you make the 12 footer to go to extra holes..  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back