News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Top 100 World let down...
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:23 PM »
I co-designed Diamante Dunes with Davis and Mark Love that opened in 2009...currently ranked #36 Golf Mags Top 100 World and Top 50 something World in other ratings...#1 in Mexico and Latin America.

I haven’t had another golf design offering since, although I have been busy redesigning 5 holes on the Diamante course which I feel has been responsible for the course going from #52 to 38 and now 36.

I feel I’m at the top of my design game.

Im thinking I might be a one hit wonder.

Hmmm...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:06:00 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

Re: Top 100 World let down...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:49:50 PM »
Really? Paul, really?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:03:08 PM »
Maybe if you posted more often ... :)

Good to see your name on the board, Paul.

I don't know 'business' in general, and know even less about your business.

It sure confuses me that there hasn't been another design offering since. But how many people, in any line of work, can say they're responsible for a "Top 100" *anything*.

Here's what could be a very annoying reference (but I think you'll understand how I mean/intend it) - from a profound/classic Eastern text:

"To our labour we have a right, but not to the fruit of our labour".

Best
Peter

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:31:07 PM »
Really! my friend Greg, really!

Designers just want to design...retrievers just want to retrieve...simple stuff amigo!

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 11:51:16 PM »
Peter Peter Peter...it’s really nice that you were the first to respond to my post after my little absence here.

I’m OK with the right to work...nor am I a good self promoter...but the fruit of the work is but a pale moon cast shadow compared to my love to work...to design and build things...haha

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 12:00:59 AM »
Sorry Greg...you were the first to post! If this site had the little emoji squirt gun I’d add it aiming right after my  :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:02:34 AM by paul cowley »

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 01:08:18 AM »

Paul,
If you look at it from the glass is half full perspective, your percentage of top 100 can´t be beat by even the likes of Tom D and Bill C! Latin America is tough and as you know the entire International design market is even tougher! I learned early it would be difficult to make a decent living dependent on one country in Latin America, so I traveled my ass off for 20 years designing and constructing in Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Panama and Venezuela, some 15 to 20 courses. Bless me father for I have sinned and its been seven years since my last design. What a growing and learning experience it has been to work in a redesign enviroment with political clubs and boards. Don´t lose the Faith!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:42:59 AM by Randy Thompson »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 04:22:28 AM »
Paul,
I know one member from Diamante Dunes and him and his wife love the course and feel privileged to be members and get down there 3-4 times a year. I hope to get down there at some point to play as they are members of 2 other private clubs which are above average IMO, but they certainly plan their year around their trips to Mexico to play golf.  I don't know much about the design business other than $ to build new courses is few and far between.  I think the 80's-00's was certainly the good ol' days for golf course designers.  Redesigns seem to be the norm for the foreseeable future.
I know you had been involved with DLIII, is he still designing?  His website for golf design has gone dormant or let his domain expire.
Are you still working with him?
God bless.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 06:36:45 AM »
My sense is that Paul may be a bit modest in the actual design attribution. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
Don't fret Paul,

Years from now you'll be known as the next Henry Fownes or George Crump!

History has your back...

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 04:50:59 PM »
Who are they?  ;D

Thanks Kalen...I’m just throwing a baited hook in the water, can’t hurt!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »
Not sure if you saw it a few weeks back but there was a recent thread about the big thaw to US/North Korea relations.  If you're first in, maybe buddy-up with Dennis Rodman, who knows you could be the state appointed/official/one-and-only approved course designer?  Now that the nuke program is 86'd... gotta spend those wons somewhere??

What say you?  Fan of Kimchi?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
I would pay good money to see a Dennis Rodman / Paul Cowley collaboration. Not the finished product but rather the process... those would be some intriguing conversations.

Pauley you just need a good PR guy that can translate/mediate for you. I feel qualified after the summer 2016 experience we had. 😉

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
I think you're both wrong. If I know Paul, he just needs to get away for three days to an isolated cave in the mountains and *visualize* his next design, and soon enough it will come to pass -- sort of like the rainmaker who does 'nothing' but sit in silence at the edge of a parched village until his presence has brought it back to the chi/tao/way, and then the skies open up. That's what I think - and, as you know, I know a lot about these things....

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
Peter, Greg, Kalen; Jeff, Jim, and Randy (who has done really well in a tough market)...thanks my friends

It was getting late last night and I was a little down...back now...watch out rainbows, coming at you!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:43:31 PM by paul cowley »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
I have a friend who is a professional comedian.  He calls it show business. The thing about show business is it's 80 percent business and 20 percent show. It appears that's similar with golf architects?

I'm not sure what you're doing about getting new business but I can name a dozen architects that are waiting for the phone to ring. It's a competitive business in a tough market.

paul cowley

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 02:06:33 AM »
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:39:09 AM by paul cowley »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 09:12:41 AM »
All I can say......The work that has been carried out by Paul at Diamante is indeed World Class.
It is a truly wonderful golf experience, even with the $$$$ contribution that is Nobu and Hard Rock :( and the “new”holes are certainly better than the old #12/13/18.
I think there are a couple of things that can make it even better, but Paul s the man to do it.
I look forward to returning and seeing Paul again.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »
The Dunes is more than just a pretty course. As part of the Dunes experience, players enjoy  state-of-the-art practice facilities, a Slider Bar with mini sandwiches and refreshments before tee time, and additional small plates and libations at Diamante’s signature course-side comfort stations. The golf is great, but the experience truly is something special.

[/size]A Slider Bar in Mexico? Do you walk and carry or runs and carry?[/color]

Steve_Roths

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »
I don't mean to be a jerk, but isn't the answer here hustle?

No one gets anywhere in this World without out hustling everyone other asshole that wants their business.

So, find a par 3 course that you can do on the cheap and then promote the hell out of it.

Pitch article ideas to every magazine that covers golf or travel. 

Write white sheets on your design ideas around Diamante Dunes and then get them to publishers of magazines.

If you want that next big gig that will lead to the next 6 big gigs do what no one else is doing. 

Hell, look at every municipal course in the US that needs an upgrade and put together the design, drawings and costs and pitch it.  It might take you fifty attempts but one might hit and then promote promote promote.  Look at the press that Winter Park 9 gets. 

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 11:15:25 AM »
Jk.....They even have inside plumbing now in Mexico.....has it been that long since you got from underneath that Rock?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »
I have a friend who is a professional comedian.  He calls it show business. The thing about show business is it's 80 percent business and 20 percent show. It appears that's similar with golf architects?

I'm not sure what you're doing about getting new business but I can name a dozen architects that are waiting for the phone to ring. It's a competitive business in a tough market.

Golf course architecture could be called "Slow Business."

As to marketing, yeah its a numbers game and the harder you work it, the more work you get.  That said, we all long for the occasional job that just comes out of nowhere and falls in our lap.

Generally, the cream rises to the top, but in gca there are many of us with one or more outstanding projects, and yet not a lot to show for it afterwards.  The thing is, the marketing of golf courses, even the pursuit of architects is rarely focused on great design.  It has always been focused more on big names, marketing potential, etc.

In some ways, you figure the mags would like to promote the next big thing, but that promotion seems to come one at a time, when most articles will focus on the next one by some bigger name architect.  Naturally, they can't call every course and every young architect the "next big thing" on a regular basis or it loses its pop.

Basically, Paul, Mike or I would need more of a gimmick than a solid design to sell the next one, barring spending $1Mil on a PR firm (just kidding, you can get one for just a few thou a month)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »

The other thing is, for non big names (well, even for them) the selection process is getting a LOT more specific.

A park district in Ohio is not likely to pick a guy with a lot of experience in Mexico.  They want a guy (gal) with Ohio or Midwest experience (soils, irrigation, etc.) and projects all have other specific considerations, like flood control.  The architect who can go in and show them modest fee public courses with flood control aspects (hopefully in the Midwest) is most likely to win the job.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back