News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Teelal course profile posted under Courses by Country New
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:07:01 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/teelal-golf-saidia/

I was listening to a telecast ~ two decades ago from Firestone and one of the commentators remarked,
‘The appeal of the course is that you get what you hit here.’

I recall thinking, ‘That might be the appeal to you but it doesn’t sound very exciting to me.’ I still have not been there.

Indeed, I already know what kind of golfer I am – I don’t need a course to remind me that the glory days (or ‘day’ as my brother Bill says  :-[ ) are long gone! I need a course that excites, that makes me want to experiment and play different shots. I want to leave it thinking I will do better next time. In short, the golf needs to be fun.

So it is a delight to post this profile today on Teelal in Morocco. It is a fascinating story, in part because its architect, Nicolas Joakimides, did the thing we wish all architects would do, namely maximize the opportunity by applying thought to each and every shot. Teelal is all about position and your chess match with an architect who actually provides features and contours that can assist you in your match against him. High on the list are six (1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 9th, 17th) greens that feature some element of a Punchbowl in them. Maybe Firestone has such shots – where you aim off the green to x to end up near hole location y – and I have just missed them over the years. Nonetheless, Teelal is replete with shots that are both fun and exasperating. Having a swipe at the 2nd green 270 yards away from the tee in a crosswind is exhilarating and conversely, I could sit in the middle of the 18th fairway all day and keep muddling up the daunting approach shot. 

For those interested in the study of golf course architecture, tracing the spread of exemplary design elements around the world is akin to sorting out a puzzle. How did a classic, albeit modern, Streamsong inspired green end up 4500 miles away in Morocco? Is it a surprise that a Frenchman who loves Chantilly added central and cross hazards to his design? Or that his other favorite course in France (St. Emilion) features a paucity of greenside bunkers and so too does this one? What about a Frenchman building a modified Biarritz?  I first met Nicolas in 2017 during his trip to Pinehurst, so his crowned green at 13 made sense!

Conversely, some people don’t care about such; their focus is on where they are playing tomorrow. I was at an event last fall in San Francisco chaired by everyone's favorite host, Andy Johnson of Fried Egg fame. Afterwards, while talking about course x with a group of guys, a man interjected 'Since I am never going to play there, I don't care.' Well! Personally, I find that view point a bit limiting and this month's Feature Interview won’t hold appeal.

For the rest of us, seeing classic features amid a Moroccan landscape represents another piece in the never-ending puzzle - and struggle – for engaging golf to reach and enrich people's lives on a global basis.The opportunities are too good in a country blessed with an abundant coastline, dunes and barrancas; let’s hope that this form of fun architecture leads by example.

Congratulations to Nicolas for pulling it off and to the Saïdia Resort in trusting in him.

For those who want to read it in tandem with Nicolas's June Feature Interview, here is that link too:

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-nicolas-joakimides/

Best,
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:51:53 PM by Ran Morrissett »

David Davis

Re: Teelal course profile posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »
Ran,

Interesting you made your way down there after your Spain adventure. What did you make of the culture?

It's interesting to create a links course there but I'm curious as you mention Joakimides creating ground game options but I didn't read anywhere what kind of grasses were used to allow for this approach. In Morocco I would assume they had to use some strain of warm weather grasses like Florida or in the Southern US given the intense summer heat, is this the case? If so doesn't it kind of all but eliminate the usage of the ground game? I guess unless you are really good at rolling a hybrid or 4 iron for example which is perhaps less than ideal.

If there were cool weather fine grasses used or perhaps some strain of hybrid burmuda that really allows the ground game that would grately change my skepticism over the ground game aspects of what looks like a really cool course.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Nicolas Joakimides

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »
David,

Fairway grass is Bermuda riviera. It’s the same grass than Saidia lake, the first course here at Saïdia.
Pentcross ( agrostis stolonifera T1) is used for the greens and surroundings.
Same grass and same greenkeeper for both courses.
It’s hot in the summer but dry.
And yes ...the ground game is working !

Mark_F

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:44:35 PM »
That looks, and sounds, like a fabulous golf course.

Congratulations, Nicolas.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 07:11:52 AM »
Some may disagree but IMO golf is more fun, and challenging, when the ball is rolling so I like the concept here. And I love the look of the putting green. Wish more clubs/courses had one akin to it.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back