News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wolf

Prairie Dunes, Southern Hills, and ...where else?
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »

I'd welcome suggestions on courses to play in the general vicinity of Prairie Dunes/Southern Hills. I'd be especially interested in which other courses in that area might still have original Maxwell greens/holes.

Thank you,

Michael

Bill Shamleffer

Re: Prairie Dunes, Southern Hills, and ...where else?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
Dornick Hills in Ardmore, OK is a MUST visit if in that area.  Not sure which - if any - of the greens are originals.

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Michael Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »
I remember reading Tom Doak quote that Dornick Hills is the #1 course he'd like to restore now that he's doing (or is done) with Bel Air. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less interesting to visit as it sits today?

Trey Kemp

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club would be a great place to play, it still has the original Maxwell/MacKenzie routing and a great set of Maxwell greens.  Dornick Hills is worth the trip just to see the Cliff Hole and the Maxwell Family cemetery north of the 7th hole.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
Think it's been covered here before... Wichita CC is worth playing with a good Wm. Diddel course on fairly flat land. Good green complexes... nothing fancy but good golf. If i'm not mistaken, it recently had some work done to it...  a 5 or 6 on the Doak Scale

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »
Think it's been covered here before... Wichita CC is worth playing with a good Wm. Diddel course on fairly flat land. Good green complexes... nothing fancy but good golf. If i'm not mistaken, it recently had some work done to it...  a 5 or 6 on the Doak Scale

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Conley Hurst

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »
It's a little out of the way, but Hardscrabble CC in Fort Smith, AR is a Perry Maxwell layout. It was renovated in the nineties by Jay Morrish, so the greens and bunkers are not vintage Maxwell. But the course overall is good fun and has a few really sporty holes. The conditioning also tends to be quite good in the summer.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »

While not a Maxwell classic, my Sand Creek Station is also on Highway 50, near I-35 in Newton, KS and on the way there or back.  A friend of mine just played PD and SCS on the same day.  SCS is the third ranked public course in Kansas and has some architectural homages like the Road Hole Green, Alps, Redan, etc.  Held the 2015 Publinx.

As noted, Dornick Hills is nice and I stopped there on my way back from Tulsa a few years ago.  The members redid the greens in the 1950;s, hired my old boss to do the front nine, then hired us to match Nugent rather than Maxwell on the back nine.  We discussed restoration, but they had no budget and didn't want to do that at that time.

Still worth a play.  When I was there, CCA had taken over management, but I think it is still a members owned club.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »
I’ll echo Wichita C.C. as a must play in this neck of the woods. Great bones. Great, welcoming membership. A worthy add-on after the world-class Prairie Dunes.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 11:25:31 PM »
Dornick has some very worthwhile maps and pictures in the clubhouse. As mentioned, don't miss the cemetery up next to the cliff green. Chris could tell you better , but the basic bones of the original 4 holes is there and last I knew the first hole had been moved for the range and second hole routed a different direction. People want to do something to preserve this type of place;it could actually be the Carthrage Club: needs money, ample (too much) clubhouse(lodging);year round weather minus August and a few ice storms, and an hour from DFW. It would be a shame to let this run down and I am guessing help needed. Played there as a guest multiple times and empty.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 07:54:39 AM »
I really enjoyed Hillcrest (Maxwell) in Bartlesville near Tulsa
Very interesting layout to play capped off by a wonderful set of greens.
Change is good.

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 11:54:00 PM »

While not a Maxwell classic, my Sand Creek Station is also on Highway 50, near I-35 in Newton, KS and on the way there or back.  A friend of mine just played PD and SCS on the same day.  SCS is the third ranked public course in Kansas and has some architectural homages like the Road Hole Green, Alps, Redan, etc.  Held the 2015 Publinx.

As noted, Dornick Hills is nice and I stopped there on my way back from Tulsa a few years ago.  The members redid the greens in the 1950;s, hired my old boss to do the front nine, then hired us to match Nugent rather than Maxwell on the back nine.  We discussed restoration, but they had no budget and didn't want to do that at that time.

Still worth a play.  When I was there, CCA had taken over management, but I think it is still a members owned club.
Jeff, that was my buddy too, Pat Wheeler. I love to host Pat whenever I can at Prairie Dunes. Too bad the weather the next day was horrible. Salina CC is a course that was originally 9 holes, Perry added 9 holes and perhaps made alterations to the rest of the course. It’s not up to PD and Southern Hills standard but it’s not bad. I also understand Topeka CC is a Maxwell.

Dave August

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 05:06:07 AM »
I would think that Flint Hills National would get a not or two, considering its proximity to PD. It is not a Maxwell, but it is a fun place to play. I know a number of PD members bring guests there during visits.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »

Bill,

Well, then, nice to meet you via the internet! 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back